Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2006 5:16:35 PM EDT
In the opinions of some of the experienced refinishers, what is the best product for refinishing a gun in and why? This will be my first refinish, so it would be nice if it were easy to work with, but i'm more concerned with performance than ease of application. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#1]
C'mon people, not even a "your dumb, here's a link"?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I just used Duracote. Here is a photo. This stuff is very hard after it cures. You have to take it slow and put on thin even coats. The bad part is "Its permanent", chemicals won't tuch this stuff.
I used a high quality airbrush for the application.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/low-mass/AR15/DSC00237_edited.jpg
Here is a link to the website where i purchased the paint. www.houtsenterprises.com/dur_patterns.html
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
In the opinions of some of the experienced refinishers, what is the best product for refinishing a gun in and why? This will be my first refinish, so it would be nice if it were easy to work with, but i'm more concerned with performance than ease of application. Thanks for the help.

This topic has been covered pretty heavily, so it may be worth checking out some previous threads.  I am a firm believer that Norrells is the easiest, and most forgiving product that will still leave a professional finish.

Here are some threads you may want to read....

AR15 Norrells Refinishing Thread

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=255393

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=264211

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=255491  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Because I love posting pictures, here are a before and after shot of my worst upper and lower.  I perosnally love Norrels and thats what I use.  The few nicks in the after picture were my own fault.  The upper and lower fell over when wet with paint and I didnt touch them up.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm... just to bring it up again, refinishing forum.

As far as products

Lauer DuraCoat
KG GunKote
Norrels Moly Resin
CeraKote

I have personally used KG GunKote and it works REALLY well.  Just make sure there isn't any grease on the gun when you coat it.  Although this is generally a good rule with all of the above products.

-C4-
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

-C4-

I think there is a better chance of a knitting forum....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:48:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just used Duracote. Here is a photo. This stuff is very hard after it cures. You have to take it slow and put on thin even coats. The bad part is "Its permanent", chemicals won't tuch this stuff.
I used a high quality airbrush for the application.
i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/low-mass/AR15/DSC00237_edited.jpg
Here is a link to the website where i purchased the paint. www.houtsenterprises.com/dur_patterns.html

What color did you go with on the upper and lower ???
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:40:20 AM EDT
[#9]
i used norell's moly-resin on mine.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:52:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/eklikewhoa/xm177/IMG_0638.jpg

I like that color, looks almost like a light grey...I leaning towards that look for a bench/varmint gun...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:44:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I used "Parker" on the metal, and "Swedish K"on the furniture.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:59:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like that color, looks almost like a light grey...I leaning towards that look for a bench/varmint gun...

its norell's "grayish-black flat"
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:33:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

its norell's "grayish-black flat"

Roger that, Thanks...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:35:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got a scrap gun I'm building.  I fully intend to use spray paint off the shelf and repeat as needed should it wear off.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:04:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've got a scrap gun I'm building.  I fully intend to use spray paint off the shelf and repeat as needed should when I it wear off.

Fixed  

If you are building a blaster, there is nothing wrong with having it look like one.  Spray it desert colors for an even better beater look.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:12:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've got a scrap gun I'm building.  I fully intend to use spray paint off the shelf and repeat as needed should when I it wear off.

Fixed  

If you are building a blaster, there is nothing wrong with having it look like one.  Spray it desert colors for an even better beater look.

I'm torn  

It'll either be tan or primer gray!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:14:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Primer gray will get you huge trailer park points, which may be worth doing if for no other reason than to offend all the people with prissy ARs......
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:16:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Primer gray will get you huge trailer park points, which may be worth doing if for no other reason than to offend all the people with prissy ARs......

there would be a grim satisfaction in that....especially if I outshoot them
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:20:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:21:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not if, but when you out shoot them !!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not if, but when you out shoot them !!!

I didn't want to come off as arrogant
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:41:26 AM EDT
[#22]
+1 to NMR.  Stuff is wonderful as a finish, and their customer service is unequaled.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:44:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-C4-

The worst part is there have been about 4-5 Finishing Threads in the last two weeks!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I get accused of having a "Prissy AR", but I can shoot mine just as well as everyone else.
I used Duracote due to the rust resistance. I no longer worry about keeping the exterier metal coated with oil.
There is nothing keeping me from over spraying with some off the shelf paint.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:36:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-C4-

A knitting forum could be usefull... that way when we run out of ammo we would have something else to do .

-C4-
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top