Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 12:40:52 PM EDT
Are they durable enough for SHTF considerations?

Any known problems with them?

UPDATE

The lower was pare of a trade I was working on.  In the end the guy decided he didn't feel comfortable with the deal.  I was offered a colt lower instead by the next person and made the deal.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#1]
lots of folks have had great results w/ em--no problems

there are several serach topics on em....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#2]
They are awesome.

Good folks, too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They are awesome.

Good folks, too.

+1

I have three. (Okay, one I've never used...    ... but no problems with the other two. )
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one and like it.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Pyro 6988: If you want to try one of the Cav lowers, I have an OD green one, Armalite lower parts kit, only used with a DPMS .22 upper, $200 shipped.
If interested, e-mail [email protected]. Delete, has been sold.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The best deal going seems to be the CavArms lower sold by Armalite (Eagle Poly-15).  $165 including the lower parts kit and buffer.  Too bad Armalite is so damn hard to contact and get decent customer service from.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I would buy one simply for the light weight if they made one with a shorter stock.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on what you consider SHTF.

I'm seriously considering using one of their lowers on my HD rifle.

But in a situation where I wouldn't have access to my other weapons, and a limited supply of spare parts, I would rather have an aluminum lower just for ease of repairing replacing parts.

I have CAV rifles and would buy more.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would buy one simply for the light weight if they made one with a shorter stock.

Shorter than what?
The MKII has an A1 length stock.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Pyro 6988: If you want to try one of the Cav lowers, I have an OD green one, Armalite lower parts kit, only used with a DPMS .22 upper, $200 shipped.
If interested, e-mail [email protected]

Thanks for the offer but I am considering a trade for one with another member.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm happy with mine, never had any sort of malfunctions or problems with it.  Now, Im not sure how super durable they are, I've never tested an aluminum and polymer lower side by side in some torture test.  But, I've never thought my lower felt flimsy nor had it break.

If you want to fuck with it and see what it takes to break one, I think its like a 30 dollar replacement fee under their warranty.  

I think the only 'problem' with them is you can't put all sorts of neat stocks and grips.  My wallet likes that feature though

The ergo's are great stock as it is.  The only modification I've done is put a Houge Hand-All (Small IIRC) on.  It gave the grip a little palm swell and some finger grooves.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm interested in the CAV Mk II also. Just a little concerned the mag well is so wide (for double stack M3 45 mags). Do 5.56 mags hold securely or do they wobble/wiggle around in such a wide mag well?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#13]
It's only wide in the middle.  Front and back are normal size, so the mag feels no different than it would in a 'normal' mag well.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Lots of people voting for Aluminum, but not many posts to that effect.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#16]

I've got one I have been using off and on with a .50 Beowulf  upper, no problems. I like the ergos, weight, and the cost is great too. I plan on getting more.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't trade mine for an Aluminum.  

Whoever said stick with aluminum should explain themselves.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I believe they would be a lot better without the furniture attached to them.

It limits your options.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:52:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It limits your options.

The stock and pistol grip are part of what makes it so strong.
The other "plastic" lowers, aren't as durable as the Cav lower.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It limits your options.

Every time somebody suggests a telescoping version they say that making that work would negate the advantages of being polymer.  If you need the options, get an aluminum lower.

Are they durable enough for SHTF considerations?

The only broken lower I can recall was a .45 that cracked from the bolt hitting it because the buffer was too light.  I'd consider it durable enough for SHTF, but if your scenario includes limited access to spare parts you might want to stick to an aluminum one.

Any known problems with them?

Mine was an extremely tight fit on my uppers.  In fact, I sent it back because I couldn't get any of my three uppers to fit.  They said it fit all of theirs and sent it back.  When I got it back I could just barely get mine to go on.  Apparently the tight fit it typical.  And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The pistol grip shape is different from a regular AR, which you may or may not like.  The distance from the back of the grip to the trigger is longer, which IMHO feels nicer, but the reach to the safety and mag release are also longer.  I can just barely reach them, so if you have short fingers you might have trouble.

The only functional "problem" I've had is that 20-round mags are hit-or-miss on dropping free.  The CavArms lower doesn't have the groove at the front of the mag well for the rivets on the front of the 20s, which I think is why they hang up.  The 30s don't have the rivets and usually drop free.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top