Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 7:34:27 PM EDT
I just installed a badger tactial latch on my charging handle. It has already worn some of the finish off of the area that it hits on the reciever. It is steel and I know that steel will always win in a battle against aluminum. Do these latches cause long term damage to the receiver or is it just a cosmetic issue that Im being uptight about? Thanks in advance
Eric
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:55:01 PM EDT
The wear you see is only going to be cosmetic in my opinion. I had one installed on my first AR15 and it never caused any problems.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:01:06 PM EDT
IMO write it off go back to standard latch or get a PRI flat or big latch then compare 'em side by side and you'll see the Badger digs and tears thats why its called 'Badger' and may not cause any problems but do you want to risk it for $20?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:43:09 PM EDT
The wear gooes away after a while, and is only cosmetic.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:03:30 AM EDT
I figure if I manage to wear it out, I spend another 100 bucks on an upper. Mine is a few years old with a bit of wear, but no function problems.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:05:41 AM EDT
even on the spec latch the latch itself is steel.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:53:35 AM EDT
there was a guy here that had the badger latch wear the upper to the point that it wouldnt hold anymore.

i use pri.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:43:01 AM EDT
1+ ADDICTED PRI... why risk an upper reciever I guess in a pinch a hole could be drilled just to add some 'lip' . Even if it were an inferior upper - AR's are parts gun so the cost effectiveness aint worth the risk to me the appearance doesn't bother I had my BADGER in for a while the found a PRI flat latch at a Gun Show so I bought and compared the 'grab' and PRI lays flat in the notch and BADGER 'spikes' it . Not to say there no wear associated with the PRI which I've had in for several years now but I fear if the Badger would have stayed in I would have a much more negative view of that part. Its all personal preference some guys seem to have AR trees growing in their backyard - I dont so I want to minimize expense. IMHO only ...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:01:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2006 5:02:29 AM EDT by QUIB]
As Gregory_K stated, the standard charging handle latch is made of steel so I don’t think the problems lays with dissimilar metals, but rather with how the person is charging the weapon. The question is, is the charging handle latch being fully disengaged before pulling the handle?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:54:53 AM EDT
I used to use the Badger Tac Latch, but switched over to the PRI "Military/Weenie" latch.

Reason, I found the Badger latch hung up on my gear when using a single point sling, and would dig into my chest.

SKBY.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:11:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2006 6:12:07 AM EDT by Zaitev]
I agree with QUIBB... the wear looks front to rear. No burrs on the latch?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:17:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaitev:
I agree with QUIBB.......

Does that make you nervous?
Top Top