Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 4:10:16 PM EDT
Has anyone owned and fired one of these.  I have not seen one yet.
400+ Grain Bullets..  And the Rounds fit into the Regular .223 Mags?

Anyone have any more info on Price or Purchasing
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 3 that I've picked up the last couple of years.  They're a blast to shoot.  I've been reloading to keep the cost of shooting it down a bit.  Check over on the AR Variants forum for the 458 SOCOM FAQ.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, got 2!  Looks like a regular bull barrel AR, but with a MUCH BIGGER hole in the business end!  Thumps like a 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch magnum turkey load!  Lots of fun!

Head over to the Variants board, us big bore guys mostly hang out there!

Tom  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I love mine.  This is a custom built Tromix suppressed 458 SOCOM.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#4]
All of these photos were obtained by the Firearms Instructor of the local Sheriffs Office with a .458 SOCOM upper loaned to me for their testing.  A variety of ammunitionn was used, from 300-500 grain loads.

.458 SOCOM through 1/8" steel plate

Not quite going through 3/8" steel plate, but it won't buff out.  Hell of a dent.

All but the slowest subsonic round penetrated both front and back panels of this vest.  This is a Level IIIA vest.

Yes, looks like a bull barrel, but with a hole in the end you can stick your finger into.

Do NOT use the .458 SOCOM upper with a CAR stock... use an A1 or A2 stock only.

Very good accuracy, consistent grouping.   Will consistently do 1 moa.

7 rounds of .458 SOCOM will single stack and feed through a USGI 20 rnd mag.

10 rounds of .458 SOCOM will single stack and feed through a USGI 30 rnd mag.

Sales at www.458socom.com

Manufactured by www.teppojutsu.com

I understand DPMS will be supplying this caliber, too.

They also make a .30HRT upper.  Basically a rimless version of the .30 Herrett.  HRT = Herret Rimless Tactical.  This is an interesting .30 cal round that will feed through the AR15 magwell (needs 6.8 mags).  So, with only change of magazine, bolt, and barrel, you have a .30 cal weapon with the weight and same operation as an M4.  I have Teppo Jutsu's prototype on my workbench now.  I have not bothered with photos as it looks just like a regular AR upper.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#5]

I'm sure it's just as you've said, but the thickness of the plate in top picture certainly doesn't look like it's a full 1/8".
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm sure it's just as you've said, but the thickness of the plate in top picture certainly doesn't look like it's a full 1/8".

From the same set of photographs

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, Marty.  Those are the exact photos I was going to post.

Here's the similar photo for the 3/8" plate.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Why no 6-pos stock on a .458SOCOM?  I put mine on immeadiately after the ban and have never had a problem with it.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I love mine.  This is a custom built Tromix suppressed 458 SOCOM.
www.cqbarms.com/photos/albums/userpics/10060/Completedbarrel.JPG

When I first looked at that, I thought it had a 2 1/2 inch wide barrel!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why no 6-pos stock on a .458SOCOM?  I put mine on immeadiately after the ban and have never had a problem with it.  

The potential to auto-collapse. Same idea with putting regular CA stocks on shotguns.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top