Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2006 5:16:38 PM EDT
I am planning on getting a new upper for my DPMS lower, I don't know if that makes any difference, but I don't know which profile to get. Are there any advantages to having a bull or M4 countour, or am I going to not notice a difference if I go with a government or superlite configuration? I have been looking through DPMS, RRA, Bushamster, Ametec, and other manufacturers websites, but don't know what to get. They all claim about the same things. I plan on getting it chrome lined either way, with a frattop and a low profile gas block or a railed gas block, with an eotech. Any advice or suggestions would be great, as I don't really know what to look for.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the site!

what are you going to use the AR for, b/c that would help in trying to determine your parts needed...?

the bull would be best for a target/varmiter setup, the m4 for most other uses (lighter weight too)

read around and try a search on what you have questions on

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Both light and heavy configurations can be equally as accurate.  Where you're going to notice the difference is when the barrel heats up.  As it heats up the light configuration will shoot as accurately, but will shoot to a slightly different point of impact.  If you shoot 5 shot groups at a number of targets with a light barrel you'll find that each group will be about the same size, but they will be in different parts of the target.  The faster that you fire the groups the more pronounced the difference.  

That's not to say that a lightweight barrel is a bad thing, but for rapid fire I would recommend a heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the explanation. I plan on this being my all around rifle. I will be adding a light and the eotech ofr HD should it occur, but other than that, plinking and occassional target work. I go out to a friend's property in Kentucky every few months and we bring rifles with at plink at targets of opportunity, like squirrels and the like. I was just curious as to see if the lighter weight contours would inhibit anything or than FA fire, which I dont have the cash to jump into right now. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Another consideration would be if you have any other experince with the AR family?  I've carried the XM16E1-M4A1 for the past two decades.  To me there is a big difference to want I'm used to and a 16" Heavy Barrel.  Running around with a M4 for so long that the other's just feel muzzle heavy to me.  Suggetion would be to go to a well stocked gun shop or gun show and handle a few to see what feels good to you and mounts well.  Adding a light and EOTech will also add weight and depending how and where you mount them will also effect the balance.

CD
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking of the eotech on the flattop, and the light on or near the gas block. I guess I will swing by Blythe's and see what they have. Are there any brands to look for/stay away from? I know to stay away from vulcan/hesse from playing with some FALs about a year ago.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking about the same thing as mike, except getting one of the GGG rails for the handguards and attaching the light that was. The purpose would mostly be HD and plinking, but I can see the occassional squirrel getting in the way. So, I am at a loss as to what manufacturer to get an upper from. I think a few gun shows are in my future, so I'll fondle some other peoples's wtuff and get some ideas.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I would suggest a mid weight profile.

I also would suggest a mid length gas system for longer sight radius, more room on the handguards and slightly smoother action than the CAR gas system.

The mid weight profile would give slightly more accuracy, heat resistance but not too much weight like an HBAR.

Take a look at Denny's (of Global Tactical an Industry partner) Operator Mil-Spec chromemoly vanadium or Recon SS mid length gas system.

I just completed my build using Denny's Operator barrel and it's a very high quality product equal or better than the brand name manufacturers.

The Operator barrel link

The Recon SS barrel link
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#9]
From your post, I think the GTS 1:7 chrome lined middy from Denny at Global Tactical would be perfect. Starts with a Rock Creek Barrel the chrome lined, accurate and long lasting.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I just wanted to add that one of the reason Denny made his barrel with a mid weight contour is mainly for full auto use but it will benefit semi auto rifles too.

If ever you go with full auto later on or borrow a friends auto lower, the Operator barrel is ready for it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I will go with the medium contour from GTS, thanks for all the help. I'll post a range report, after I have the money together and buy it.

I have an unrelated quesiton though, what is the shortest flash hider that is effective?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll have a wait for the new Operator.  Second generation is just getting going.  Mine is great-- excellent compromise profile.
LW profile, in my experience, when hot, will not just shift POI but also open the groups up significantly.  Doesn't even need to be that hot.  HBARs shoot better, but are heavier.  Med contour is right in the sweet spot.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I have an unrelated quesiton though, what is the shortest flash hider that is effective?

The most effective flash hiders are not short, they are a little longer than the A1/ A2 FH.

Most members here concur that Vortex and Phantom are the most effective.

The Vortex have a slightly better performance in accuracy and when using sound suppressors.

I'm using a Phoenix FH which is similar to the Vortex but with closed slots in the front end.

All these FH are available at the Equipment Exchange of this site, I bought mine from there.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top