Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2006 9:10:41 PM EDT
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I don't know anyplace who'd be more knowledgeable than you guys.  

I'm trying to sell a gun online, but have run into some problems with the shipping.  I tried shipping at USPS, but the postal worker said I could not ship a firearm through USPS, even though I know I an.  Plus, he was very rude about the entire thing, as if he thought I was going to open the box and open fire.  I tried shipping through UPS, but no individual outlet is willing to ship it, even though UPS will ship firearms, so I've heard.  I don't know about Fedex, and DHL isn't anywhere near me.  Has anyone here shipped a firearm who's not a FFL dealer?  How did you do it?  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
try posting this in General Discussion or in Gereral Firearms for a more appropriate place....

but since you are here: i shipped a rifle out via USPS (check thier website, all of the rules are there)

the lady at the desk did not know, but got me to talk to the post master who looked up the regulations and told me that it was fine as long as it was unloaded-- no problems (they did not even ask me for an FFL copy to send it to, but i gave it to em anyways)

UPS and fed ex should both allow shipping of em

handguns are a different animal; PO will not ship it unless you are a FFL; fedex and UPS require next day air

regardless, some places you get folks who will ship em--no problems, others who wont b/c they dont know thier own guidelines
of course, you dont have to outright declare em to be a firearm.....

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Assuming you are talking about a rifle (since handguns cannot be shipped USPS) ...

Go back to the post office, and demand to speak to the local manager or post master.  After you have pointed out that his employee was rude, demand that he open up his copy of the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) and check section C024, paragraph 3.0

It essentially says that mailing long arms is okay as long as the rifle itself doesn't violate federal gun laws, and it complies with DMM C024 1.2 (i.e. non-concealable) and DMM C024 1.1e (i.e. barrel 16" or longer).

Also note that they are NOT allowed to mark the package in any way indicating the contents (but they ARE allowed to open it there and inspect that it is unloaded, before shipping it).

The law (and their regulations) do not state that you have to show them the FFL, but it might be a good idea for you to bring it, just in case.

However, be warned that USPS is usually far more expensive for a package that size than UPS.  You'll often pay about $30 to ship a rifle USPS, whereas UPS would ship it for about $15.  However, some UPS places will not ship firearms, and force you to go to their local hub, which can be a pain in the ass.  (Unless you don't tell them what it is - not doing to with UPS or FedEx doesn't violate any law, just breaks company policy).
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:34:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Assuming you are talking about a rifle (since handguns cannot be shipped USPS) ...

Go back to the post office, and demand to speak to the local manager or post master.  After you have pointed out that his employee was rude, demand that he open up his copy of the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) and check section C024, paragraph 3.0

It essentially says that mailing long arms is okay as long as the rifle itself doesn't violate federal gun laws, and it complies with DMM C024 1.2 (i.e. non-concealable) and DMM C024 1.1e (i.e. barrel 16" or longer).

Also note that they are NOT allowed to mark the package in any way indicating the contents (but they ARE allowed to open it there and inspect that it is unloaded, before shipping it).

The law (and their regulations) do not state that you have to show them the FFL, but it might be a good idea for you to bring it, just in case.

+1

I had that very same experience at my local Post Office ONCE.  I did exactly what DK suggests, and I was treated very well the next time I went to mail a rifle or shotgun.

The beauty of the Post Office is that, because they are a public corporation, they HAVE to mail what the law says can be mailed.  They have no choice of making policy whenever they like to, like private companies (UPS, FedEx, etc) can.

BTW, UPS Outlets (the little stores in strip malls) do not accept firearms because it is UPS policy.  You have to go to a UPS depot (the big warehouse where the dispatch the big brown tucks from) to ship it.  Same for FedEx.  Go to their websites and find their Tariffs.  Print a copy of the firearms section and take with you, just in case.

Also, I no longer give any of my business to UPS, after several less than pleasant transactions.  One involved breaking a $900 custom stock on a Highpower target bolt gun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:59:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I am fortunate that through the volume of clutter that I sell on Ebay I have gotten to know all the counter clerks at the Post Office  well and the most experienced one very well and I always go to her when sending out a gun.   I have an AK in transit to MI right now and with ins and online signature confirmation the total was $21.75.  

I always tell her "This is a gun" and she says "Where is it going" and I say "To a gun shop" and she says " OK ".  I do take the FFL copy but she never looks at it.  

I dismounted the buttstock so the gun would go in  a shorter box I had on hand [ a 14" chainsaw came in this box ].  

The pawn / gun shop that does my incoming transfers also is very reasonable on shipping handguns and long guns out if someone doesn't want to hassle with it.  

rj
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top