Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/6/2006 3:36:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:45:27 PM EDT
I am interested also.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:47:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ranger_SXT:
Has anyone used this? Is it any good?

Yes, when they first introduced them, but no longer. If you must use M4 handguards, what's your application? For a VFG, they are useless. For a 6' O'clock light mount, of some value. Again, what the application?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:49:46 PM EDT
It's about the cheapest way to mount a rail onto your stock HG's. It was my first foray into a vertical grip which also happened to be GG&G.

You'll be getting a quad-rail HG in no time! Wanna bet on it?

HS1
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:53:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HighStrung1:
It's about the cheapest way to mount a rail onto your stock HG's. It was my first foray into a vertical grip which also happened to be GG&G.

You'll be getting a quad-rail HG in no time! Wanna bet on it?

HS1

Care to elaborate more? I do use other GG&G produsts exclusively.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:55:27 PM EDT
so for a vertical grip it isnt worth it? why? Is it too weak to handle a vg?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:45:32 PM EDT
Did you change to the rail system because it wasnt working proplerly?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:51:23 PM EDT
I would guess that people go from that to railed HGs because the stock HGs (not the rail itself) are not strong/stable enough to support the forces exerted by using a VFG. I could be wrong, however; it's happened before.

Gotta love that GG&G VFG that was mentioned earlier...my fav one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:02:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gimme_A_Carbine:
I would guess that people go from that to railed HGs because the stock HGs (not the rail itself) are not strong/stable enough to support the forces exerted by using a VFG. I could be wrong, however; it's happened before.

No, you're right- too much slop / movement. It's a good way to find out if you like a VFG, but not a good way to mount one for serious use.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:32:51 PM EDT
YMMV, but my original Colt handguards (AR15A3) have no slop. I still use the GG&G UFIR with their vert grip and offset light mount, and it is pretty damn solid. Granted, I don't hook the vert grip on a balcony rail and lean my whole body weight on it, but, for normal use, its very solid. If it weren't for my agency's new policy, I would probably still continue to use the GG&G UFIR.

I've used it for about three years now, but plan on buying a Surefire M-73 set of rails/handguards only because my agency finally came out with a written policy on accessories for personally owned carbines. It states that the only "authorized" rail accessory is the SF rail. Among other stupid parts of this new policy, I must send the gun and accessories (which will include the SF rail, and any optics and lights) to the agency armory for installation. This means I will have to take off all my current accessories so they can re-install some of them, like optics.....duh! I mean how stupid do you have to be to not properly attach a light with thumbscrews!!!
Top Top