Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2006 3:53:51 AM EDT
I was looking at a Pelican Foam Lined case, are they worth the investment? Or are there similar alternatives out there for cheaper?

Thanks!

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:02:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:23:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I store mine in a Fort Knox safe, i transport in a bagmaster or eagle soft case, cause it beats  up my car less and is easier to stuff behind the seats.  Of course when i fly out west to Mecca i'll be purchasing a hard case.

infsqdldr- one thing i noticed about the SKB vs the Pelican is that it does not appear to have a pressure relief valve which could be handy if one plans on flying their case.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:28:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:35:40 AM EDT
[#4]
some do have the pressure valve, some may not.  i know my brotherinlaws pistol case does.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:03:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Transport to the range...............my rifles get dumped in a duffle bag or in a GI foot locker.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:12:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Starlights are the best of the hard cases.  Pelicans are good cases but I've left them in a car in the Florida sun to find them soft as butter.

Eagle and Blackhawk make the best soft cases.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:28:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a pelican for air travel.

For the range I use a cheapie ACE case which has been excellent.  I have an Eagle "discrete" subgun case which has also been excellent, and I would not hesitate to get more of their stuff (you can see part of it in the background).

I have a Galati case which is a POS.  The zipper pops open when you try to zip the case up, even when the case is empty.  And when you hold the case by the handles, the zipper is on the bottom, making it a very likely possibility that you will dump the gun on the ground.

Now, I only use it as padding when transporting guns to and from the range, and I have to be careful so I don't drop my gun out of the case.

I sent Galati an email, asking about getting it fixed or replaced, but they never responded.  So I have to advise you stay away from Galati!

I've thought about sewing in a new zipper myself, but in two years have not gotten around to it.  If anyone wanted it, I would sell it cheap.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:32:12 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want a superior hard case get a Kalispel aluminum case, I have a black powdercoated Breakdown Shotgun case which is 38X15X4.5" which is perfect for most ARs in the 16" range with a collapsed stock.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have a Galati case which is a POS.  

Interesting, I have one which has held up great, so do several other people that I know.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#10]
WuMagic,

My Pelican looks like it has been through hell and back, but it still functions exactly as intended.  There is a reason you will see most MIL & LEO weapons in Pelcian cases.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:38:35 AM EDT
[#11]
When zippers fail like that, the zipper mechanism has to be replaced, not the tracks.

I've had 6 zippers fail over 8 years on 1 Jansport backpack. Each time I sent it back, they just pull the mechanisms off and replaced it. The tracks are original.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#12]
For transport, I use a $10 plano case from walmart or something.  

It's a "double gun" hard case.  I've fit 2 AR's (20" rifles) AND a custom 10/22 in it, kind of had to mash em all in though, but they will fit!  

I've never had a problem with rust.  I shoot/clean them often enough, so it's not an issue.

Not much of any room for mag/bullet storage, but I keep all that stuff in an ammo can.    

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Just so everyone knows, the baggage pits in airplanes are also pressurized the same as the cabin you fly in. All the baggage is subject to the same slight pressure fluctuations as the people do while the airplane tries to compensate for altitude changes. So its not an issue. Just thought I would share that sense a few people were making reference to that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Just so everyone knows, the baggage pits in airplanes are also pressurized the same as the cabin you fly in. All the baggage is subject to the same slight pressure fluctuations as the people do while the airplane tries to compensate for altitude changes. So its not an issue. Just thought I would share that sense a few people were making reference to that.

Wrong!  If you do the math you can see that a 5,000 foot difference in altitude can exert a force of  982 pounds on a 10 x 40 inch case.   Cabin pressure can vary more than 5,000 feet.  Plus even if you cheap case doesn't pop you could have a hard time opening it if you fly to some place with a 5 inHg difference in altitude...unless of course you have that handy pressure relief valve.  There is a reason that people put that stuff on airtight cases.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I store mine in a safe.  You shouldn't store a gun in a foam-lined case unless you soak it in CLP and wrap it in a sealed plastic gun bag.  Foam collects and traps moisture and will damage your rifle over time.  Foam cases are fine for transport, though.  

However, I transport my AR in a Blackhawk Discreet Carry Case.  It is a soft case made of cordura and has removable foam inserts which fit in their own pockets.  It also has a nice size pocket on the outside that will allow you to attach velcro-backed pouches inside and actually comes with a 6-mag pouch.  I like the Blackhawk case better than the Eagle because the Eagle one has the mags being stored in the same compart as the rifle where they could scratch/ ding it.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#17]
What's wrong, if anything, with the Bushmaster case that comes with the rifle?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I store mine in a safe. You shouldn't store a gun in a foam-lined case unless you soak it in CLP and wrap it in a sealed plastic gun bag. Foam collects and traps moisture and will damage your rifle over time.

TRANSPORT in a Pelican case, or other foam lined case, is fine.  Pelicans are great for rough handling and tight sealing.

But, STORE in a safe, preferably with a dryer (Goldenrod or dessicant).
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Go over to the other sub-forum on "slings and other stuff," and you'll find how we were all just discussing "covert cases" for $30 that are baseball bags:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=19&t=264417
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I just throw it in the back seat!

What the hell?  It's not a GUITAR!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What's wrong, if anything, with the Bushmaster case that comes with the rifle?

While there is really nothing "wrong" with the Bushmaster case, it also isn't the best.  Other systems allow you to carry a lot more than just your rifle, are higher quality, and have a higher cool factor.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted: What's wrong, if anything, with the Bushmaster case that comes with the rifle?

Quoted: While there is really nothing "wrong" with the Bushmaster case, it also isn't the best.  Other systems allow you to carry a lot more than just your rifle, are higher quality, and have a higher cool factor.  

Ahhh.... the "cool" factor. Got it.

I kid, I kid. Just curious as I'm expecting my 2005 SEBR to arrive tomorrow and want to know how much more money I'm gonna need to divert from other things to buy all the toys.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top