User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#1]
hehe,
I have my crossed rifles 3rd award and crossed 1911's third award.  Looks damn good below my Chesty Puller staring kit...  My crossed rifles and pistols mean more to me than my pretty peices of fabric.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#2]
expert badge just looks better in uniform then pizza box marksman badge......
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Jarheads rate pretty low on the evolution scale, so I assume expert is not much of a challenge.  Of course I never shot that course, a 95 ASVAB will keep you miles away from any grunt type activities.  

You got a 95?  Is that it?

I got a 98.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Jarheads rate pretty low on the evolution scale, so I assume expert is not much of a challenge.  Of course I never shot that course, a 95 ASVAB will keep you miles away from any grunt type activities.  

Like hell it will, f'in POGs. (91 asvab, 136 GT)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got a 95?  Is that it?

I got a 98.

You are not alone. However, I didn't wanna make the poor Squidy feel even more inadaquate.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Marines shoot in yards not meters.  We are Americans, not "Euro Thrash."  MARINES NEVER ADOPTED THE METRIC SYSTEM!  Damn right you should be a proud USMC EXPERT--the Army still shoots in those DAMNED meters.  Marine snipers shoot in YARDS as well.  Take 500 yards x .9144 and you get about 457 meters.  Meters suck, America rocks and the USMC is out fucking standing.

Semper

I vote this post as the dumbest of the very young year of 2006.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Humor this squid with two questions.  What are these "pizza boxes" and "toilet seats" that you speak of?  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#8]
EHOLUB...your an idiot

the Corps uses the metric system all the time. Only the Parris lsiand ranges are in yards. pendleton and quantico ranges are in meters. as a matter of fact, the Rifle data book used by recruits at parris island is in meters and the PMIs tell you how to compensate for the fact that the PI ranges are in yards. so tell me EHOLUB, tell me about your extensive experience as a Marine sniper that makes you such an expert. because when i through 2nd division school i learned in meters. dumbass.

and for anyone who thinks the KD courses are easy... i wonder how many members of this site can shoot into the black at 500m with a rack grade rifle and irons. give them a full value 10kt wind just for fun.

im proud to say ive always worn crossed rifles and crossed pistols.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Humor this squid with two questions.  What are these "pizza boxes" and "toilet seats" that you speak of?  

The marksman bagde is called the pizza box because it looks like one, and if you qual as a marksman you may as well be delivering pizzas.

left to righ Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/Lucius1/e7066e80.jpg

HAHA!  that's awesome.

I shot Sharpshooter at MCRD, now I'm a 4th award Expert.  3rd award Sharpshooter pistol.  I have the Rifle Creed framed and hanging in my living room, a Mickey Mouse towel in my cleaning kit, and still shoot my AR (and everythng else) the way the Marine Corps taught me to shoot.  

You could say I'm proud of it, as anyone should be.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Toliet seat = marksmanship badge in the 70's P.I.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The marksman bagde is called the pizza box because it looks like one, and if you qual as a marksman you may as well be delivering pizzas.

Ok Derek, which one is the toilet seat?  The Sharpshooter badge?  Or is toilet seat interchangeable with the pizza box?

In the interest of full disclosure I earned the Navy Pistol Expert medal (M1911, w00t!), but UNK with the M14 back in 1984.

I think I am a little better with a rifle these days.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.tfd.com/wiki/0/06/USMCqualbadge.jpg

Ok Derek, which one is the toilet seat?  The Sharpshooter badge?  Or is toilet seat interchangeable with the pizza box?

In the interest of full disclosure I earned the Navy Pistol Expert medal (M1911, w00t!), but UNK with the M14 back in 1984.

The "toilet seat" was another term for the marksman badge. Never heard "pizza box" when I was in.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Don't Worry Sir I'm From The Internet

Classic!!!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/bballuvrq/th1123082658977.gif

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#17]
4th award rifle expert and 1st award pistol expert here. Good shooting skills is always something to be proud of. It is not an over all test of ones ability for sure. but it sets the tone for proper shooting techniques that carry to other aspects.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
EHOLUB...your an idiot

the Corps uses the metric system all the time. Only the Parris lsiand ranges are in yards. pendleton and quantico ranges are in meters. as a matter of fact, the Rifle data book used by recruits at parris island is in meters and the PMIs tell you how to compensate for the fact that the PI ranges are in yards. so tell me EHOLUB, tell me about your extensive experience as a Marine sniper that makes you such an expert. because when i through 2nd division school i learned in meters. dumbass.

and for anyone who thinks the KD courses are easy... i wonder how many members of this site can shoot into the black at 500m with a rack grade rifle and irons. give them a full value 10kt wind just for fun.

im proud to say ive always worn crossed rifles and crossed pistols.

Hey there, DvlDog.

When did you go through?  The only Jawga boys that came through my classes {85'-86'} were all Ranger and SF... no Marines.    

Knowles,  Conrad,  Toffola, Williams and Grady...  God bless.

Dave S

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Rifle Marksmanship Data Book
94 08 08
Rifle S/N: 6339076
Delta Range, Edson Range
36 "Yard" Zeroing
200 "Yard" Slow Fire--Sitting
200 "Yard" Slow Fire--Kneeling
200 "Yard" Slow Fire--Standing
200 "Yard" Rapid Fire--Sitting
300 "Yard" Slow Fire--Sitting
300 "Yard" Rapid Fire--Prone
500 "Yard" Slow Fire--Prone

95 04 13
Rifle S/N: 6339076
C Range, Stone Bay, N.C.
My data book is in "yards" here too.

Rifle S/N: 6007285
B Co. 1/2 Super Squad
Another data book with yards, not meters.

A Range, Stone Bay, N.C.
Rifle S/N: 6021210
1/2 Rifle & Pistol Team
Again my data book is in yards

Marine Sniper School Stone Bay, N.C.
Hathcock Range, Stone Bay, N.C.
Rifle and Scope Number: 221340    1248
Ammunition LC 002
Temp. 75 degrees

300, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 and 1000 yards
MOA, that's not metric.

Range formulas are based in yards (however they can easily be converted to meters).

2000 / Height of Target = Range (In yards)

The Marine Corps uses the metric system, however, when it comes to shooting, it is done in yards (that is not saying a Marine with a low ASVAB score cannot convert his distance to target in meters--wait a minute, a GOAT has the balls to come into a Marine dominated thread and call us stupid?  Go play Vasaline baseball with your boyfriend squid!!!)

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Jackets, gloves, and slings?   And they call temselves killers? Sounds like a country club.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I would have to say that is interesting.  I guess I never knew that once in a Marine Corps far far away, young Marines engaged their paper prey in meters.  Finally, somebody proves me wrong. Thanks for the info.  It's nice to see that some guys never toss out their old data books.  What year is that salty data book from?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If you want to know about Marine Corps snipers talk to SIMPLYDYNAMIC, he helped me alot. And depending on if you enlist of go officer will decide if you can be a DM.

Also find out who your local recruiter is and let him know you are interested. They can help you out alot.

If you have any quesitons about the process of enlisting, or going NROTC shoot me a PM. Ill help all that i can.

PJ

True.  Travis (SIMPLYDYNAMIC) and I are very close pistol shots, sometimes I even beat him in competition.  But with a rifle/carbine he'll hand me my ass everytime.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

A tad better would be an understatement.  The toilet seat was used back before me, it was for the Marksman badge.  I guess I was part of the Pizza Hut generation.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#25]
double tap
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#27]
The days of pulling butts are nearly at an end with the new ranges the Marine Corps are starting to use. Ive shot 4th award expert and it means alot to me, thats why my ar stays with good ol iron sights!!! And for all the grunts that think "POGS" aint shit, Ive been to many a school where I always out performed the grunts and Im an air winger. For the people arguing about GT scores and AFQT scores it dont mean shit, I do aviation electronic calibration for  the new  V 22 and I handle my weapons just as good or better then grunts . Thats just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#28]

And for all the grunts that think "POGS" aint shit, Ive been to many a school where I always out performed the grunts and Im an air winger. For the people arguing about GT scores and AFQT scores it dont mean shit, I do aviation electronic calibration for the new V 22 and I handle my weapons just as good or better then grunts

Amen...wanna measure your penis...use a ruler... Badges don't make the Soldier.... Does'nt mean you can't be proud of your accomplishments.....  it's that whole Quiet professionalism that is often talked about... If you want to look at it from a different angle, you all scored expert because your Instructors and PMI's did their job and had nothing to do with you as they taught you a skill you did not have prior to joining. That explains how a city boy's with zero gun experience can do it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I got one of my two Expert badges on Pua'haloa(sp)  range in Hawaii. That is the one I'm most proud of. I could only muster a SS on K-Bay Range.  Anyone else ever quall on either range? Its' like shooting in a wind tunnel.

Any current active duty 8541's out there.  If so have y'all played with the new S&B scopes yet?Any idea when the fleet will see them?

SIMPER FI

Badges don't make the Soldier

That is definitely a no-shitter!

After I got out and went to the police academy we had two guys shoot a perfect score an I came in one point under. They were ripping my ass b/c I of what I did in the Corps, then we went and did simunition training and they couldn't hit a thing.

It is one thing to be able to punch holes in paper, it is something totally different to make the shot count when the shit hits the fan and your playing pitch and catch with hot lead.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been pleasantly surprised at the amount of responses I've received on this thread.  I will continue to be proud of my Expert qualification even though it was many years ago.  

I went through boot in '93 and shot a mid-Expert during pre-qual and then got a lower scoring Expert on qualification day which disappointed me.  I think being nervous and having more wind on qual day didn't help me out.  

I was one of those unfortunate schmucks that got stationed at HQMC and was therefore exempt from re-qualifying every three years like the rest of the USMC.  Needless to say, this didn't make me happy because of my love of guns and shooting.  It was ridiculous to me that we didn't re-qualify with Quantico being right down the road from us!

When I was in, we only had the shooting jackets and no gloves.  We also called the Marksman badge the "pizza box" and I don't think I had ever heard the "toilet seat" term until this thread.

I remember that the DI's hated the PMI's because they were also allowed to wear the smokey hat.  I think the DI's thought that the friendly and easy-going personality of the PMI's was an insult to the respect that the smokey hat was supposed to command!

I think it's great to see all the active/former Marines that hang out on this site.  I've been out since '97, so I don't exactly dwell on my time in the service any more, but I'm still proud of it and I know it's helped to shape me into the disciplined person I am today.

Tedster
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:30:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Jar-ines sure do get mad when you insult their trade.  I would never do that to a Marines face of course, we only ripped on them because they couldnt handle their booze.  My best marksmanship feat cant compare: hitting a target traveling at Mach 2+ at over one mile, firing 20mm at a rate of 75  rds per second. Unfortunately the target was completely destroyed and now sleeps with the fishes.  CIWS rocks your world.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:54:58 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
My best marksmanship feat cant compare: hitting a target traveling at Mach 2+ at over one mile, firing 20mm at a rate of 75  rds per second. Unfortunately the target was completely destroyed and now sleeps with the fishes.  CIWS rocks your world.

Except it ain't you aiming, its the computer.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:27:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:57:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Good training is the key to goood marksmanship.  I have a son who is an Air Traffic Controller in the Air Force.   During "warrior week" in basic training, he qualified as "I know how to pull the trigger".  When he was reassigned from Ellsworth AFB to Osan AFB he had to requalify before being allowed to transfer.  The range was closed but a friend of his knew the instructor.  He gave my son 1 1/2 hours of private instruction on the range curing him of his bad habits.  He then shot expert.  

I have two sons in the Air Force and one in the Army.  All have now qualified as Expert.  Somehow they got the good eyes in the family as I am blind as a bat without my glasses.

Anybody ever compete at 1,000 yards?   Do the competitions even go out to that range anymore?  I know in the old Corps, there were some legendary riflemen who could hit the target at 1,000 yards offhand.  My father-in-law could do it offhand at 500 yards with his '03A3.  Having seen him shoot cloverleaf patterns at 50 yards offhand I believe him. This with a rifle he had never even fired before.  Looked at his first shot and then plastered the bull without even adjsuting the sights.  As I was dating his daughter at the time I firure he was sending me a subtle message.   At 86 his eyesight is not good enough to shoot anymore, but his hands are still steady as a rock.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:06:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Good training is the key to goood marksmanship.  I have a son who is an Air Traffic Controller in the Air Force.   During "warrior week" in basic training, he qualified as "I know how to pull the trigger".  When he was reassigned from Ellsworth AFB to Osan AFB he had to requalify before being allowed to transfer.  The range was closed but a friend of his knew the instructor.  He gave my son 1 1/2 hours of private instruction on the range curing him of his bad habits.  He then shot expert.  

I have two sons in the Air Force and one in the Army.  All have now qualified as Expert.  Somehow they got the good eyes in the family as I am blind as a bat without my glasses.

Anybody ever compete at 1,000 yards?   Do the competitions even go out to that range anymore?  I know in the old Corps, there were some legendary riflemen who could hit the target at 1,000 yards offhand.  My father-in-law could do it offhand at 500 yards with his '03A3.  Having seen him shoot cloverleaf patterns at 50 yards offhand I believe him. This with a rifle he had never even fired before.  Looked at his first shot and then plastered the bull without even adjsuting the sights.  As I was dating his daughter at the time I firure he was sending me a subtle message.   At 86 his eyesight is not good enough to shoot anymore, but his hands are still steady as a rock.  

They still have comps out to a 1000.  I've shot a few and had a blast.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#36]
All marines ares supposed to qual annually and the ranges are being updated so they are automatic. The PMIs are drill instructors, its their year out of the trenches, while some work in S shops others go to the pool or teach MCMAP( the new martial arts training, no longer line trainig) but PMIs now wear those weird postal looking hats I for one dont like them much. ABTW your not allowed to wear shooting jackets anymore or gloves when you qual!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Many years ago when I did my tour in the USMC, I qualified as Expert with my M16.  At the time I was pretty proud of the accomplishment, but is that even that good compared to the average shooter of today?  Many of the guys just going into the military have never even handled or shot a rifle before and some of them still did very well.

The USMC qualifier at 2, 3 and 5 hundred yards is an accuracy and postion shooting course.  Qualifying Expert is an accomplishment.   It means you have a good command of the rifle basics.  

It does not necessarily mean, however, that you can go shoot a three gun match and shoot dynamically and quickly on a level with good rifle competitors.   Anything with a scorecard is a game - which includes 3 gun and any qualification course.  Being good at one game doesn't automatically mean you're good at the other one.

Have you ever shot a 3 gun match with good competitive shooters?  If so, how did you stack up?   If you haven't  - go try it.  It's good clean fun.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#38]

M16A1
M16A2
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I was in the Marine Corps for eight years.  I wasn't a grunt and had my sixth expert bar.  I even shot high shooter on the range once, another time I shot a 235 Expert.  Butts claimed I missed a shot.  I didn't have to qualify for two years because I was on Embassy Duty.  I scored 300 on all my PT Test.   I could practically run the compass courses, day or night.   I could out grunt the grunts I just didn't qualify to be a grunt because my knuckles didn't quite make it to the ground.  I am proud to have earned Expert with the M16.  I am proud to have serve in the United States Marine Corps.

Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#40]
your world rocks but please be carefull where you point the mach2 75 rds per sec death machine . If in doubt call in some Cobras or Marine F-18s for close air suport (because thats their trade)... at least if they got knocked down they'd be worth a shit as a rifleman and leader . Hard to believe I know being "low on the scale" and all even being an officer .

Quoted:
Jar-ines sure do get mad when you insult their trade.  I would never do that to a Marines face of course, we only ripped on them because they couldnt handle their booze.  My best marksmanship feat cant compare: hitting a target traveling at Mach 2+ at over one mile, firing 20mm at a rate of 75  rds per second. Unfortunately the target was completely destroyed and now sleeps with the fishes.  CIWS rocks your world.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I was much better with a grenade... I qualified Sharpshooter every trip to the range.  I just got used to the EGA in the center of the cross.  I have one of my dress uniforms in a shadow box, my buddies break my stones hard about not shooting expert.

Qualifying expert is something to be proud of.  Hell, not going UNK is something to be proud of as well.  Along with not going to the brig, not getting NJP, etc.  

Be proud that you served, and be proud that you fired Expert.

Semper Fi.

Jason
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#42]
What distance does the Corps zero their rifles at?

When you are qualifying I assume that you adjust the rear sight's elevation for different distance, correct?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#43]
There was a drill instructor at MCRD, nick named 'the Legend', who qualified expert.....SHOOTING IT ENTIRELY OFFHAND.
He is the current NRA Highpower National Champion.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#44]
our battle zero  or BZO is done at 25 yards
thus is not true for  true zero and Im not really sure how far true zero is but we only worry about our BZO
and yes we adjust through the whole coarse of fire and is recorded in our shooting book.  If you shoot great and the butts say other wise the only way to right it is with your rifle book correctly filled out, thus  helping you shoot expert, if the butts try to screw you because they got shitty service in the morning but thats another story
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:35:01 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
What distance does the Corps zero their rifles at?

When you are qualifying I assume that you adjust the rear sight's elevation for different distance, correct?

i only saw the 1000 inch range once ........??? it was cute

(This is for an A1) At 200 meters six 0'clock hold on Bullseye target . 300 dead on 500 put up the "L" sight hold on the shoulder line and they drop "right in his buckle" but usually at that rang the first called good shot in a "sighter" and corrections if ness.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
our battle zero  or BZO is done at 25 yards

USMC BZ0 is the zero for 300 yards/meters.   You can get a field expedient zero by checking it at 36 yards due to the trajectory of the 5.56 round.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:10:26 AM EDT
[#47]
KD is only the basics, it is based on the Camp Perry NRA quals. Fieldcraft, range estimation, and firing from cover and concealment at unknown distances are the next step but you need to have muscle memory, squeeze and weapon basics first.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Qualifying expert is something to be proud of.  Hell, not going UNK is something to be proud of as well.  Along with not going to the brig, not getting NJP, etc.  

Jason

I got NJP'ed and I'm damn proud of it.  Just ask Ol' Chesty what he thinks of NJP's...

I've shot every badge, and I'm damn proud of it, cause it means in the worst conditions on my worst day, I can still kill you at 500 yards...  Might take me a couple of rounds, but that's why they give me 30 round mags...

I've gone to the brig too... to visit someone... LOL!!!  I'm damn proud I haven't made it there...yet.

15 years to go in the Corps, give it time...

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#49]
What size target are you shooting at when you qualify at 500 meters?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
What size target are you shooting at when you qualify at 500 meters?

Man from the waist up.  B-Mod
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top