Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/4/2006 5:31:51 AM EDT
I have a RRA National Match A4. It used to be a NM A2, but I wanted to mount a scope to it so I changed it to its current configuration. Could I get a detachable carry handle and swap out the standard aperture with hooded NM sight apertures? Thanks. MJD
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:56:27 AM EDT
You can, but if you want to be able to shoot it as a Service Rifle you won't have enough elevation travel in the rear sight. A friend is setting up an A3 for any/any matches and had to buy about a $200 carry handle with a modified rear sight to make it work. I can find out where he got it if you are interested, PM me. The rules have changed, I think, so a detachable carry handle is now allowed in Service Rifle.
It sounds to me like the original carry handle was cut off. If you still have the NM hardware you're set, the only differences are (usually) 1/4 minute clicks and a threaded peep aperture but you can install the NM stuff in your new carry handle. You can also try screwing in your front sight pin to shoot 600.
Might want to ask this question over in the "Competition Shooting and The Accurate AR", there's some good people there.

1911fan
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:16:42 AM EDT
Not planning on using it for service rifle competition. It's basically a target rig. There was an informal competition at the last shoot I went to and was unable to participate since I didn't have a rear iron on the rifle. I've tried using a LMT BUIS before, but a standard rear aperture with the tiny NM front post is quite tricky to use. It's almost like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. My front sight base is intact and has the NM front sight post so all I need is the rear NM aperture and I'm back in business. I did a clean swap, A2 for A4 upper receiver so I didn't cut anything. Problem is, I sold the old receiver. MJD
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:00:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1911fan:
You can, but if you want to be able to shoot it as a Service Rifle you won't have enough elevation travel in the rear sight. A friend is setting up an A3 for any/any matches and had to buy about a $200 carry handle with a modified rear sight to make it work. I can find out where he got it if you are interested, PM me. The rules have changed, I think, so a detachable carry handle is now allowed in Service Rifle.
It sounds to me like the original carry handle was cut off. If you still have the NM hardware you're set, the only differences are (usually) 1/4 minute clicks and a threaded peep aperture but you can install the NM stuff in your new carry handle. You can also try screwing in your front sight pin to shoot 600.
Might want to ask this question over in the "Competition Shooting and The Accurate AR", there's some good people there.

1911fan

IIRC, Rock River's new NM carry handle has enough elevation to get to 600 w/o messing with the front sight. But it has only 1/2 MOA windage and elevation. Not a huge problem, but something to be aware before buying.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:06:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2006 7:06:33 AM EDT by SWO_daddy]

Originally Posted By highwayman:
I have a RRA National Match A4. It used to be a NM A2, but I wanted to mount a scope to it so I changed it to its current configuration. Could I get a detachable carry handle and swap out the standard aperture with hooded NM sight apertures? Thanks. MJD

Yes, check this out.
Top Top