Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2006 9:29:15 PM EDT
As ya can see, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.  Hope I don't f*ck it up too bad.

I'm painfully left handed and over the last few weeks, I have become quite enamored with the Stag Arms rifles, which are actually crafted for lefties.  I've read in here many threads which seem to pretty much say these are quality pre-ban rifles; either as a whole or mated with an upper or lower from another company.  This rifle will be used for vermin / plinking / target shooting (but not competition... of course that might change).  Aside from better scopes, optics, and hand grips later, mods are not very important.

I am having difficulty deciding on whether to buy a complete rifle from Stag (to get the life warranty and a heavy trigger) or to buy an upper from Aimsurplus.com (Stag-Upper Left Stag Arms 2L
) and a complete lower with buttstock from Del-Ton.com (with a RRA 2 stage trigger).  Of course, questions follow.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

1~ How important is that life warranty with direct purchase from Stag to you guys and gals?

2~ Have many of you have had problems with your Stag over time?

3~ Think it's better to buy it in parts and save a good chunk of cash and get a couple small mods for the rifle now or suck it up and buy a tested AR15 directly?

4~ With standard iron sites (but no carry handle) is there enough height to use a basic 1" scope effectively?

5~ Does the standard pre-ban upper Stag have a threaded end on the barrel to attach other brakes easily?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Stag Arms makes a quality product and if you buy it in seperate parts I am sure they will take care of any problems you may have with it.

If the deer head doesn't bother you, I say get a Stag upper and Stag lower. If you buy them seperately you may get them cheaper than buying a complete rifle.

Any Stag upper you buy for a no ban state will come with a threaded muzzle with flash hider attached.

I have three AR15's and guess how many of them were purchased complete from the factory just to get a warraty? You guesed right if you guessed "0". I have built my AR15's either from parts kits or before I learned  how to do it, by buying a factory assembled complete lower and then putting a factory assembled upper on it.

You should be able to use a standard 1" scope along with the ARMS #40 flip sight as long as you get a set of med. or high rings but I am not 100% sure on this ( but it should work).
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#3]
^^^^  I live in Bremerton.  I'm told it was the most livable city in America a few years ago. Thats a joke.  hink
Thanx a lot for the link to Hometown.  I'll be looking in there tomorrow when I have more time.

FlyingFive0...  Thanks for the info.  I am leaning toward buying completed upper and lower...  

Anybody have links to cheaper sites than Del-Ton and Aimsurplus?  I am planning on attending the gun show at the fairgrounds in puyalup this weekend...  Also any other hints / tips are greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
www.rainierarms.com/ try John Hwang/Teknic as he is also in WA and offers great products and even better customer support. Tell him I sent ya!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:28:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.rainierarms.com/ try John Hwang/Teknic as he is also in WA and offers great products and even better customer support. Tell him I sent ya!

Think John will be at the Puyalup fairgrounds this weekend?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#7]
This will be a good thread to watch:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=263368

Do you know what  lefties are called in Italian ??

rj
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats a lil scary, but I dont see a sticky at the top of the forum warning on bent barrels from Stag...  I'll still follow it tho.  Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#10]
No way in hell that one bad barrel is gonna do that =)

I did get some kinda bad news and clarification on the federal tax...

As for the tax, there is a federal excise tax. IIRC it is 14%. That only applies to manufacturers who resell their firearms. You are not a manufacturer. However, if you buy the upper and the lower from the same place, the FFL has to pay excise tax, and they will pass it on to you. Hence everyone telling you to buy the upper and lower separate places.

Having to pay tax for a local store or in state web site is another reason I was not to keen on buying locally (unless they can discount it a reasonable amount)
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Good questions for starting out ! Welcome !
Stag sells top tier stuff,you are not  takeing a step down to get the left handed stuff. I myself love the RRNM trigger but this isn't a huge deal. They cost $90 or $100 for the parts and it takes like 5 or 10 minutes to swap out the parts, the trigger drops right in,nothing needs fitting or adjusting. Buy the upper or gun you want ,you can do the trigger latter .
One point that I don't see brought up often is resale value. In my mind a factory complete rifle is going to sell faster and command a higher price than some parts and piecies rifle . Nothing is wrong with mixing stuff and a guy with knowledge of AR's can tell guality parts and it won't matter much to him,but the average gun buyer without great knowledge of AR's is not going to fork out top dollar for a pile of parts from a bunch of different factorys.
One deal you will miss out  on with the lefty unit is the ability to use a Ceiner .22lr conversion. I love to shoot rimfire and love the simplicity of the ceiner compared to the dedicated rimfire uppers. Ceiner is about $145 and the dedicated uppers are $300 up to $500+ .
I know several lefty shooters and all are fairly happy with the standard upper and a ambi selector/saftey (easy swap out part $25? )
One of the greatest  joys of the AR system is the vast choice of "stuff" availible,this same thing also causes the greatest frustration when one needs to make a choice. Here at AR15.com we have solved that problem , we encourage anyone makeing a choice to "get both ! " You will never be satisfied with your selection of "stuff" for your AR or ARS, there is some part or piece you will be lusting over no matter how much "stuff" you have. We call this "BRD" (Black Rifle Disease)
Again-- Welcome              NHSPORT
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#12]
^^^^^ I had never even took resale value into the picture...  Thank you for that.  It does make sense that a whole "matched" rifle would fetch a better price compared to a frankenshooter (of course, better parts deserve a better price).

As far as just getting a pile of quality parts parts to build an AR goes, thats not daunting.  I'm a constant tinkerer with many things and I know I would rather enjoy taking my time and building it over a lazy weekend.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I too am new to the AR i got the oportunity to shoot one last weekend and I have become some what very intersted in getting one for myself. I have a question though as to if the lefty uppers will fit on any of the righty lowers. that sounds funny but would like to buy a rock river lower with the double trigger already installed assuming the double trigger is the best. All i hear is that the RR trigger is the best trigger. anyway is it possible to put the two upper and lowers together.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I am also new to AR's and a lefty and really looked hard at the Stag.  I ended up with a RRA entry tactical in fact just 2 weeks ago.   The fact that is is a right handed gun did not effect shooting it in any way.  None of the brass came close and never felt anything from gases.  There is no difference in the lower.  The main difference is in the upper receiver, bolt assemble, and ambi barrel extension.  I got a book from Stag and counted about 5-6 actual parts that are different.  Well I am already on my second AR,  I have a High Standard/CMT lower... ordered a RRA NM LPK.  Now I am trying to decide it I want to go left or right.  I do know I want a 20 inch heavy barrell.. so I might have to buy the left parts from Stag and the rest somewhere else.  I think you will find that the left will cost about $100.00 or so more than the right.    If Stag makes the left upper you want... go left and you will be right..  Welcome
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I forgot.... the ambi safety and you can also get a ambi mag release I think.  DPMS also makes a southpaw upper but I understand it is not a true mirror image like the STAG and was told by several members to stay away from that upper.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#16]
There are no right or left handed lowers-they are all the same. you can put on a ambi safety and an ambi mag release. I have both and they are real nice. I also have Stag lefty uppers and they are terrific. One is on a Stag lower, one on a Mega lower. Fit is excellent on both.

Get a left hand rifle, and don't let anyone talk you out of it. Forget resale value-how many of your guns have you bought to sell, versus how many to shoot. I have never sold a gun. The value of any gun is what it's worth to you, and if you are as left handed as me, you will nver look back. Get it and be happy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#17]
hey thank you for your input guys i think i am going to go ahead and get the lefty uppers from stag. I am way excited.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top