Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/3/2006 4:45:56 PM EDT
I am looking into the purchase of a bipod, primarily for target applications. It would be highly desireable for said accessory to be compatible for both prone and bench applications.

Harris seems like a pretty good choice with both the "M" and "S" options sounding desirable from a spec sheet perspective. That would tend to lead towards the HBBRM-S or HBLM-S models, with the key differenece being adjustment range [6-9" vs. 9-13" respectively].

Rough measurements for the prone position indicate ~9" [from the sling stud to the ground] to be just about right; of course, this is exactly at the crossover point between the two models....figures! On a tall bench, this could be on the tall side.

I am inclined to go with the taller model, and potentially sacrifice bench performance for prone flexibility, what does y'all's experience show? I know that the standard arfcom answer will be to get both, but I would prefer not to have to do so.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:05:36 PM EDT
I have the 9-13 Harris ultralight 1A2 Model LM. I use it for bench shooting only. I'm 6'0 tall and it is just right for me. Very nice bipod for the money. 50 - 60 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:19:34 PM EDT
The shorter one works better for me shooting my "V" Match off the ground and it's in the lower notches with a small bag under the rear sling swivel.

If it's any taller you have to prop up on your elbows more and it's not as comfy. One thing though; I only use 20 rd. mags and even they won't drop clear without lifting the rifle.

I will admit that if I was going varmint hunting, I would probably take shooting sticks or a much taller bi-pod 'cuz of the alfalfa.

Regards,
Mild Bill
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:40:59 PM EDT
I prefer the HBBRM-S, for both benchrest, and prone. On the bench, I have the legs all the way in, and when I go prone, the legs are out at the second to last notch. I think when I go prone,the shorter legs allow far a lower center of gravity, which for me makes for a more stable shooting position. I'm 5'9" and round in the middle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:45:18 PM EDT
I too am in need to purchase a bipod and have the same concern. I'm concerned that the 9-13 will be too tall for bench.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:55:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By metalsaber:
I too am in need to purchase a bipod and have the same concern. I'm concerned that the 9-13 will be too tall for bench.

I use either a shooting bag or a rolled up towel under the butt of my rifle, and for me, 9" is to tall. I shoot on a bench that is about 3' off the ground, and I am 5'9" tall.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:07:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By michealj:

I use either a shooting bag or a rolled up towel under the butt of my rifle, and for me, 9" is to tall. I shoot on a bench that is about 3' off the ground, and I am 5'9" tall.

I'm also 5' 9". We see to be the same physically, so if you recommend the shorter version, then thats helps me out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:17:58 PM EDT

I'm also 5' 9". We see to be the same physically, so if you recommend the shorter version, then thats helps me out.

I have used the taller bipods, but I wasn't able to get comfortable going prone. The only problem for me with the shorter version, is that sometimes around here the grass/weeds are to tall.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:01:07 PM EDT
6-9" brms, notched legs w/ pod loc
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:59:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2006 6:01:20 AM EDT by AK_Mike]
The HBBRM-S is all you need. I can elevate my barrel using a 30rd magazine without extending the legs. The 9-13 will make bench/prone shooting more difficult.

The barrel is slightly angled up and it is resting on the magazine. Note the Pod-Loc.

If you are bench resting, you are usually better off shooting off a sandbag. Using the bipod can sometimes set up odd vibrations that may throw your shots off - YMMV.

When measuring, don't forget if you are using a rail adaptor you will be adding the thickness of that.

The only time I use the 9-13" or taller is if I would be hunting in high brush or shooting up a mountain.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:00:25 AM EDT
Thanks for all the replies guys. Even though this isn't my thread, it saves me from asking the same thing. 6-9 it is then.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:42:19 AM EDT
I prefer the HBBRM-S w/ Pod Loc
The LMS is just too tall for my needs.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:24:44 AM EDT

Thanks for all the replies guys. Even though this isn't my thread, it saves me from asking the same thing. 6-9 it is then.

Thread thief!

Seriously guys, thanks for the replies. If Eklik would ever make a shoot, maybe I could take his for a test drive.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:12:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By murderman:

Thread thief!

Seriously guys, thanks for the replies. If Eklik would ever make a shoot, maybe I could take his for a test drive.

....see thread about asc in ht forum
Top Top