Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2006 9:06:54 AM EDT
Which one do you like best for an M4 style carbine?  The shorter N battery powered version or the longer AA powered version?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#1]
If you need rail space the N version is better.

If you want the longest and most reliable battery power for all environmental conditions the AA models are the best way to go.

IMHO, the AA is the only way to go if it's for a self defense or SHTF carbine or rifle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#2]
You should also think about cost of your batteries and their availability...  Wally World has billions of AA batteries everyday - most gas stations do too.  That's why I got the AA model.

Spooky
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The 123A version. Should be better than both whenever it finally gets here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The 123A version. Should be better than both whenever it finally gets here.

Last time I heard from EOTech there were no plans to release the CR123 versions for the civilian sector.  Maybe their plans have changed have you heard anything new from EOTech?

BTW, though I got no concrete numbers the pricing I've heard that the CR123 are quite bit more expensive then the AA models.  Also, from what I've heard the CR123 models battery life is not much more and even possibly less than the Lithium AA's.  So in my case I'm not even sure if the extra cost will give much more benefit over the AA models.  I like the idea using the same batteries for both my light and my sight but I don't have any problems keeping both AA's and  CR123 because I need them both for alot of other stuff.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IMHO, the AA is the only way to go if it's for a self defense or SHTF carbine or rifle.

Why? Is it just the issue of battery availability or is there another reason, too?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why? Is it just the issue of battery availability or is there another reason, too?

The Lithium AA's are more reliable in high heat( rapid/full auto fire) and very low cold temps.  Overall the Lithium AA's are much more relaible power source than N batteries in less than ideal conditions.  The Lithium AA's are less likely to leak than the N batteries and the Litium AA's also last many times longer than N batteries.

Having better availability is very nice too but not my main reason for getting the AA version.

These reasons are also why the 552/554 are military issue sights.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't see how EOTech can NOT release the 123A version to the public. Sure, their initial production is going to go to the military, but it'll eventually filter down. You should be able to find a lot of cheap AAs on the EE then.

Battery life between lithium AA and 123A cells is going to be very close unless they are implementing some new features. The hologram is bigger, so maybe. 123A cells are 3V at around 1400mAh, lithium AA cells are 1.5V at about 2900 mAh. They originally had the 1.5V versions wired up in series, that would be 3V@2900 mAh. If they then wired up the 123A batteries in parallel they would have 3V@2800 mAh and they wouldn't have to change any of their circuitry because of increased voltage.

The price is definately going to be higher, especially if you get the magnifier.

Personally, I will get a 123A version sometime in the future, because the EOTech is the ONLY thing I own that runs on AAs. Everything in my house either uses a rechargable li-ion battery pack or 123As.

I got the 552 because there were only two types of batteries availible in Iraq when I was there, AAs and 123A cells. N cells would need to be shipped from the states. I had a gross of 123A cells in my trunk and you could buy 48 packs of AAs at the PX. Regular AA cells don't do too good in Iraq heat either.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The Lithium AA's are more reliable in high heat( rapid/full auto fire) and very low cold temps.  Overall the Lithium AA's are much more relaible power source than N batteries in less than ideal conditions.  The Lithium AA's are less likely to leak than the N batteries and the Litium AA's also last many times longer than N batteries.

Yep. That makes sense to me.

Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You should also think about cost of your batteries and their availability...  Wally World has billions of AA batteries everyday - most gas stations do too.  That's why I got the AA model.

Spooky

+1

Thats also why I chose EOtech over aimpoint, even though aimpoints last much longer, I can find AA's anywhere. Add in the cost factor and it was a no brainer, EOtech 512 for me
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd also choose the AA cell version. This could be a factor in SHTF. You're more likely to scrounge/trade AA cells over N. You can also use the new NiMH batteries with a solar charger and you're good to go. While battery life won't be as long, you can recharge them...rather than buy a 10-year stockpile of AA lithium cells.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I chose the N battery because I like the smaller look and it was cheaper.  Going back now, I would have probably got the AA version because of battery availability and life.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 for the AA model. Just bought my second 552
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
553.A65 (123 battery model w/throw levers and NV compatible) due Late Feb to March according to L3. MSRP $639 - MAP $579.

That price sounds close to pricing of the new magnified AA model, for my needs I'd just pay a few more dollars and get the magnified AA version rather than the unmagnified CR123 model.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Have AA would go AA again
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Have AA would go AA again

+1

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you need rail space the N version is better.

If you want the longest and most reliable battery power for all environmental conditions the AA models are the best way to go.

+1 - If you do not need the compactness of the "N" models then the "AA" models are the way to go IMO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#18]
AA batteries are ubiquitous, you can get them in downtown nerver-heard-of-it-stan, if need be.

I don't know about the USArmy or USMC, but the USAF is working on changing everything over to AA they can due to all the issues w/ lithium cells. (price, disposal, passivation, low mA-Hr).  On base I'm not even allowed to throw out the old lithium cells, we have to turn them into hazmat for disposal .
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I chose the N battery because I like the smaller look and it was cheaper.  Going back now, I would have probably got the AA version because of battery availability and life.  

+1
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Iv'e been using the Eotech 512 AA battery set up for the past year or so.  I much prefer the AA batteries.  My Aimpoint uses those dang watch type batteries and they just do not have the life, they cost more, and they are not as commoon as AA.  My dept. SWAT team uses all AA battery Eotechs on thier Commando's and M4's.  I have not seen anything but the AA models used by the Military.  I always go with what the SWAT team and military use!

On another note:  I am now anti-Aimpoint.  I had some problems with a defective illuminator and switch on my ML3.  I sent it in for repair about a month ago and have heard or seen nothing since.  It had to be sent back to the factory in SWEDEN.   The EOTECH is made in the USA, so if there is a problem, it gets repaired in the USA!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:51:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I have 2 of the N type models, one on my main carbine and one on my little 9mm SBR. I just recently bought an AA model for my main carbine for a couple reasons.

1.) I have had a couple instances where turning on my Eotech the damn thing didn't work, in both instances it was in the middle of a carbine class. I had heard about this little bug with the N Types and how to fix it so I just took off the battery pack and then put it back on. It worked fine after that.

2.) On my way to a rifle/shotgun match I thought that maybe i should stop and get an extra set of batteries (I know, I should have already had some) but Walmart was out and Circle K doesn't carry them, so I was unable to grab any extras, I was able to get through the match, but i was worried.

So I grabbed a brand new AA version for my main carbine and my now spare N Type will go on the 10.5" upper I'm gonna build for my SBR.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:38:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the AA versions best.  Here's me shooting my 552 equipped M4 on the New Years Day.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:40:58 AM EDT
[#23]
+1 on the AA.  I have both the 512 and 552.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:50:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
553.A65 (123 battery model w/throw levers and NV compatible) due Late Feb to March according to L3. MSRP $639 - MAP $579.

Wow, thats a lot lower than what we have heard in the past.

I went with the 551. I like the short and compact size. Batteries are not a concern considering I have about five sets of spares.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:58:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I ran an N version EOTech on my M4gery for 2+ years never had a problem with dead or faulty/leaking batteries. Sure after time the low battery indication would flash but I would leave the batteries in and drive on. Never had the EOTech just shut down because of dead batteries. I would as a precautionary measure change the batteries out once a year.

As far as N battery availability goes, I purchased them mainly at Lowes, Energizer brand two pack for about $2. Recently while shopping at Safeway I spotted Duracell N batts, so they are out there for the taking.

If you desire the compactness of the N version EOTech but battery availability has you concerned do like I did and buy up a few packs at a time. You stock up on ammo, why not batteries as well?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#26]
I have both of those EOtechs and I like the AA one better as the battery life lasts longer, and they are a dime a dozen.  After taking a carbine course with my N battery EOTech, I was concerning myself with not draining the batterys and basically bothering myself with it.  I had my inital set of batteries go dead at the end of the first day (they were 50% anyway).  The second day, I realized that I was concerning myself more with my optic than learning and shooting the course, so I just left it on (at one of the higher settings as it was day) and those batteries died by the end of the night.  The third day same thing.  A friend of mine had the same set of AA's the whole class.  So in conclusion, the N batties last about 10 hours, while the AA's last 30+. If all you do is go to the range and shoot for 2 hours once a month, those N batteries will last you about half a year which is fine, and may be worth the cost savings.  Another thing that I would like to see is a dial to increase or decrease the brightness.  Cranking a knob to whip it up to high or low is nicer than press-press-press-press-press-press...up or down.  But I really like the reticle of the EOtech, and can live with the pressing.

There is a quote I read somewhere that went along the lines of "The satisfaction of having the best equipment will long outlast any fleeting elation of cost savings of lesser quality"
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I ran an N version EOTech on my M4gery for 2+ years never had a problem with dead or faulty/leaking batteries. Sure after time the low battery indication would flash but I would leave the batteries in and drive on. Never had the EOTech just shut down because of dead batteries. I would as a precautionary measure change the batteries out once a year.

As far as N battery availability goes, I purchased them mainly at Lowes, Energizer brand two pack for about $2. Recently while shopping at Safeway I spotted Duracell N batts, so they are out there for the taking.

If you desire the compactness of the N version EOTech but battery availability has you concerned do like I did and buy up a few packs at a time. You stock up on ammo, why not batteries as well?

Roger that!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Double A all the way.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I had my inital set of batteries go dead at the end of the first day (they were 50% anyway).

So in conclusion, the N batties last about 10 hours, while the AA's last 30+.

That is pretty strange. I’ve never ran my N batteries dead in one day, ran down low, yes, but never dead.

Anyway I’m an Aimpoint owner now so I NEVER need to worry about batteries!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I like the N size. the battery is smaller, and lighter. The sight is smaller and lighter. They will give you over 200 hours on a set. I do not think I'll be in a 200 hour fire fight where i can not change a set of batteries.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had my inital set of batteries go dead at the end of the first day (they were 50% anyway).

That is pretty strange. I’ve never ran my N batteries dead in one day, ran down low, yes, but never dead.

My friend used my Eotech  N cell for deer season and went through 2 sets of batteries in 3-4 days of hunting.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#32]
You habve to take into consideration that N Type batteries are on the pricey side and AA batteries are more plentiful; however, the models vary greatly in terms of dimensions; if you only have the EOTech on your upper, then no probs. , but if you have additional accs. like a BUIS, then the smaller model might suit you better.

Is all a matter of personal choice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are only getting 10 hours, you need to contact customer support. I've gotten much longer than that. This is off their web page.

Electrical
Power Source: Universally available AA batteries (supports lithium, alkaline or rechargeable)

Optional Power Source: "N" Alkaline batteries (camera-type batteries, available most anywhere)

Battery Life: "N" type: 200 hours, AA batteries: 600 hours, AA Lithium: 1100 hours

Brightness Settings: 20 settings with scrolling feature

Auto Battery Check Indicator: Flashing reticle upon startup if batteries are at 20% of battery life.

Auto Shutdown: At 8 hours – programmable to 4 hours

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I opted for N due to space constraints - but I'd definately have gone with AA with more space on my rail.  Now if the CR123 comes out - I'm in since that means one battery platform for lights and optics on the weapon.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I know I am bringing up an old thread here, but for you guys who care to respond...

I realize that the AA version seems to be preferred due to battery life and availability.....

But would you buy an N version if you could get them for $275 vs what.... $325 for the AAs?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#36]
AA

WIZZO

EDIT:

Quoted:
But would you buy an N version if you could get them for $275 vs what.... $325 for the AAs?

No.

I bought mine for $320 and I knew damn well that I could get a 511 for around $280 shipped.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I know I am bringing up an old thread here, but for you guys who care to respond...

I realize that the AA version seems to be preferred due to battery life and availability.....

If I were to buy an Eotech (I own an Aimpoint but am thinking of getting an Eotech for the zombie invasion) I would go with AA just because AA batterys can be found anywhere.

But then again my light uses CR123A batterys and they have a shelf life of 10 years and wont corrode if left alone like an AA will.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#38]
No problems here with a BUIS and a full AA 512:

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:45:57 AM EDT
[#39]
I went with the AA-powered 512 after finding N batteries in about two of the thirty local stores I checked.  AA's were everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:14:38 AM EDT
[#40]
How much rail do you need?

I went with the AA, because you can pick them up anywhere.

I won't use any names, but I was at the range one day with someone who's N batteries ran out, and didn't have a spare set with him. Even though there's a small drug store on the corner, he was done for the day (you know who your are ).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top