Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2006 10:46:01 PM EDT
anybody have any experience with these?

rra varmint uppers

I am looking at the 18" version.  Any pics or comments?  

Also, how well would the winchester whitebox 45 grain varmint  jhp's shoot?  is 1/8 too tight a twist for it?  

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
That is what I have on my primary "do it all" AR-15.  Although theoretically you can't overstabalize the bullet, I've found that it prefers heavier bullets.  Mine is very accurate and reliable.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:05:47 AM EDT
[#2]
i have the 24" RRA varminter setup and it's F***in' awesome.  need i say more?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#3]
what im really after, is whether or not I should get the 24" or 18" .  I would like to shoot the lighter bullets if possible, but will shoot the heavier ones if they turn out to be more accurate.  

What difference in accuracy will there be between the 2 bbl lengths at 500 yards and under?  what about just over 500 yards?  

ive been debating this for some time, and i need help.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i have the 24" RRA varminter setup and it's F***in' awesome.  need i say more?

FUCK YEAH , theyre grrreat !!!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Barrel length has virtually no effect on accuracy, so unless you plan to do the majority of your shooting from a bench the 18" would be your best bet.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the RRA 18" Varmint and it shoots great. When I got it I went through the usual ammo testing and believe it or not it shot the tightest groups with WWB 45gr. JHP Varmint.  I tried Black Hills with V Max and several other brands and bullet wieghts. For some reason it seemed the heavier bullet I tried the worse the groups got. I'm actually glad the WWB worked out so well because I can just go to Wally World and pick it up.  So far this winter I have killed 8 coyotes with it. Good luck.....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
anybody have any experience with these?

rra varmint uppers

I am looking at the 18" version.  Any pics or comments?  

Also, how well would the winchester whitebox 45 grain varmint  jhp's shoot?  is 1/8 too tight a twist for it?  

I know this is not apples to apples but my RRA Varmit upper with a 1/12 twist 24" barrel likes the WWB 45 gr. JHP but does a little better with the BHBB 52 gr. M. Here are the typical results (100 yds.) using WWB 45 gr JHP from this last weekend (Shoot-N-C 2" targets) :

Even though I love my 24" RRA which I use strictly for bench work, if I also hunted with it I would choose the 18" or 20" barrel length.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#8]
get the 20 and be done with it!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:28:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I also have the 24" barrel and love it..Got a great deal on it too...I would go for the 24" if you dont have one in your gun cabinet for varmints and bench shooting..
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#10]
which one do you think would be better for varmints, the 24" or the 20"?

I want them to chunk nicely

What are the real advantages from either the 24" or the 20"?  What about the DPMS uppers and how do they compare to these rra's?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Only advantage to the 24 is the slightly higher velocity and that it looks extra evil.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:57:24 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are going to carry it a lot go with the 20" if not go with the 24". Here is what my DPMS upper with 1/8 twist 24" will do with sierra 40gr. HP handloads.                                                                  http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/possium8/PDR_44.jpg
the group in the lower right corner. Here is what it looks like.http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/possium8/PDR_40.jpg                                         http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/possium8/PDR_48.jpg
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
get the 20 and be done with it!

That's what I did!  

Unfortunatly other projects have gotten in the way and it still sits sans optics.  Soon it will be out punching paper, g-hogs and 'yotes!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top