Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/31/2005 7:55:39 AM EDT
I was getting ready to purchase a Colt lower.  I just saw Molon's post about his A3 lower.  I think the name of the thread is ultimate AR.  I was under the impression that the A3 & A2 didn't have anything written on the right side of the reciever.  Does anyone know if the restriction lingo is written on the A2?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I currently have both Colt A3 Tactical Carbine (just like Molon's lower) and a post ban A2 Match Target HBAR.

Also I have owed 5 pre ban Colt A2s in the past, carbines, standard rifle and HBARs.

All my A2s doesn't have the restriction markings on the right side of the receivers, but if they are LE models made during and after the AWB then the restriction lingo should be on them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure someone out there can clarify the a2 / a3 part but in regards to receiver markings I was told the following. If it was manufactured by colt defense it will have the le restricted markings. If it was made by colt manufacturing (their civilian division) it will not. These are two seperate companies and you have to be a le or govt/ mil. dealer to buy from colt defense which is the reason their hard to come by for civilians. The price for a colt 6920 to le depts and personell is around 975.00 and the civilian pays through the nose when ones available.    
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I was talking to Specialezed Armorment, and I knew the 6920 had the restriction markings, but I didn't know the A3 as I said was marked that way also.  I want an A2 Gov. Carbine.  According to Alpha Romeo his are not.
But what Mr Coltsonly is saying is that it can be the same lower it just might have the restriction marking if it comes from Colt defense?  So there is 2 different manufactures under the same parent company?  Either have better quality contol, or is it like GM 1 truck gets a bowtie and the other gets a GMC logo?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm sure someone out there can clarify the a2 / a3 part but in regards to receiver markings I was told the following. If it was manufactured by colt defense it will have the le restricted markings. If it was made by colt manufacturing (their civilian division) it will not. These are two seperate companies and you have to be a le or govt/ mil. dealer to buy from colt defense which is the reason their hard to come by for civilians. The price for a colt 6920 to le depts and personell is around 975.00 and the civilian pays through the nose when ones available.    

I have an MT6400 lower marked Colt Defense and it does not have LE markings.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I want an A2 Gov. Carbine.

Could you clarify which A2 Gov't Carbine you want, the LE or the commercial model?

If you don't want the LE restriction markings you would want to get the pre-ban A2 Gov't Carbine model.

Current LE A2 Gov't Carbine AR6520 models have restriction markings.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I want an A2 Gov. Carbine.

Could you clarify which A2 Gov't Carbine you want, the LE or the commercial model?

If you don't want the LE restriction markings you would want to get the pre-ban A2 Gov't Carbine model.

Current LE A2 Gov't Carbine AR6520 models have restriction markings.

Ok, thatnks!  It is a late model...so I guess I'm stuck with the markings!  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]

I believe the R6520, Colt AR-15 A2 Gov't Carbine was produced from 1988-1994 and the AR6520, Colt AR-15 A2 Gov't Carbine is being produced with the restricted mark.  You can still find a "New-in-Box" R6520 but expect to pay around $2000.  The R6520 were both Green and Blue Labels.  The Green Label is the more desirable version of the two.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Companies that make it hard to use DIAS, out of wack fire contol parts, oversized front pins, and generally just seem to dislike civilians don't apeal to me!  But in saying that everyone loves Colt, they do comand a nice price, so I thought I would add 1 too the collection!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top