Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 6:04:10 PM EDT
I am looking to buy a gun from a popular classified gun website. The thing that concerns me is that it is an expensive gun and this is a private person listing it. My question is this, how can I securely make this transaction without concern of fraud. Fraud from the weapon itself, and fraud from this person taking my money and giving no gun.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:39:53 AM EDT
[#1]
There really isn't anything you can do to prevent yourself from being ripped off. About the best you can hope for is that you can get an inspection guarantee in writing that allows you a certain amount of time to inspect the rifle (usually 3 days) before you decide if you want to keep it or not.

Yes, it's certainly possible for a seller to not even have the firearm and take your money and run. That's just the chance you take, but it rarely happens. If something doesn't "feel right", then it's probably best to move on.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:54:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Madness is right and offers good advice (re: 3 day inspection)

Pay with a traceable/insurable method as well.

If possible speak to the individual and get (real) name, address, and references

Then check him out.

Nearly all transactions go exactly as planned, and I have done a few and never been burned.

At the first sign of deception, or seller being defensive, bail.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#3]
look for good feedback and hope you end up as one of them
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Madness is right and offers good advice (re: 3 day inspection)

Pay with a traceable/insurable method as well.

If possible speak to the individual and get (real) name, address, and references

Then check him out.

Nearly all transactions go exactly as planned, and I have done a few and never been burned.

At the first sign of deception, or seller being defensive, bail.

+1

I spent $1600 on a custom Model 70 target rifle bought from a private seller via Gunbroker.  I did all of the above and all went well.  There are no guarantees, but the above post is a very good way to stack the odds in your favor.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top