Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/30/2005 5:07:58 AM EDT
Have never held an AR-15 with the Collapsible buttstock, but it just seems like
It's missing a PAD on the end.....

Is the plastic really that comfortable?

I notice Bushmaster makes a buttpad , anyone used this?
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/2698827.asp
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/frankeva/Tele-Butt-Pads.jpg

Thanks
Frank
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:11:46 AM EDT
Its a .223 .... If you need a recoil pad then you need to get some Vagisil for your mangina! ...LOL just kidding, but seriously, if you think a CAR stock would be bad...you need to shoot a HK-91 with a collapsable stock...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:17:07 AM EDT
The waffle type 2s are comfortable and offer more area for shoulder contact.Just remeber those stocks are meant for compactness and utility before comfort although they are comfortable enough.The rubber back helped the older stock stay on the shoulder.With the newer stocks angle a recoil pad is not needed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:18:21 AM EDT
+1 on it being a .223 - have you seen the many pictures of women on here shooting ARs with collapsible stocks?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:19:55 AM EDT
I never noticed the M4 style being uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:29:00 AM EDT
I actually prefer the original M4 stock (option b in your pics). The "N" marked ones from Colt. I purchased one to go along with the LE6920 I'm buying on Wed. I'll keep the new M4 stock though so I'll have it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:36:09 AM EDT
There is just about no recoil what so ever on a .223 with collapsable stock. I have shot for hours straight and never complained about the pain.

Plus they just look stupid
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:48:07 AM EDT
No it is not uncomfortable. The recoil of a 5.56 is very minimal. I have never found the need for an aftermarket butt pad.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:54:33 AM EDT
the pad offers a non-slip surface and forms to the shoulder better.

i like them
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:19:27 AM EDT
A1 and A2 stock don't have a recoil pad either......

No, they aren't uncomfortable. They can dig into your shoulder a little. Recoil is a not an issue with the Ar15.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:53:01 AM EDT
they are a tad uncomfortable when you shoot naked.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:08:54 AM EDT
The other point to consider is the M-16/Ar-15 Buffer system. It is a very smooth system that dampens shoulder bite considerably... at least that is how it feels.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:23:25 AM EDT
All they do is provide better "Grip" to prevent slipping. Many of the cheapo gun-show ones slip right off of the stock when you shoulder it!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:33:18 AM EDT

Its a .223 .... If you need a recoil pad then you need to get some Vagisil for your mangina! ...LOL just kidding

Ha HA ha,

I never shot a .223, although I really didn't expect much recoil from it.
It just looked from the butt plate, that the edges might dig into your shoulder. I'm
guessing from the respones that maybe it's a kind of softer type plastic.

I am definately not afraid of recoil. I own a Desert Eagle .50AE and Benelli Super Black Eagle
shotgun, along with my 9mm Glock 19 pea shooterhttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/frankeva/100_2630.jpg

Thanks for the info
Frank
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:47:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FrankAR15:

Its a .223 .... If you need a recoil pad then you need to get some Vagisil for your mangina! ...LOL just kidding

Ha HA ha,

I never shot a .223, although I really didn't expect much recoil from it.
It just looked from the butt plate, that the edges might dig into your shoulder. I'm
guessing from the respones that maybe it's a kind of softer type plastic.

I am definately not afraid of recoil. I own a Desert Eagle .50AE and Benelli Super Black Eagle
shotgun, along with my 9mm Glock 19 pea shooter
i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/frankeva/100_2630.jpg

Thanks for the info
Frank

nice collection

recoil on 5.56 is negligible; the M4 stock is a little more uncomfortable than the fullsize

i like the rubber buttpad though--more of a rubber than a plastic dig in my shoulder
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:01:38 AM EDT

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/frankeva/Tele-Butt-Pads.jpg

Thanks
Frank

Oh come on, MAN UP already.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:19:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By _DR:

Thanks
Frank

tinypic.com/jg5c7t.jpg

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:34:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2005 11:34:53 AM EDT by Kisara]
That pic is hilarious!

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:54:25 PM EDT
If the stock is seated good in your shoulder...that plastic shouldnt make any difference with recoil.
Your body should roll with the recoil, right?

I can see how a rubber pad would help keep things from slipping around though.

Wearing a coat or shirt with a rubbery texture around the shoulder area helps. I don't have a shooting coat, but I use a yellow rubber rain coat. It helped me, and I didnt have to add anything to the stock itself. This is using a fixed stock though, they're both plastic though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:26:04 PM EDT
I never liked those. To reduce muzzle rise, I like to have my should high on the stock. Basically inline with the barrel/bolt/buffer. The way those pads are shaped, makes my shoulder go about 2" low on the stock, and thus generates more muzzle rise. I have one. Shot it a few times. Ripped it off.

If you want it, IM me and I'll ship it to you for $5 plus shipping or something.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:40:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By edwin247:
I never noticed the M4 style being uncomfortable.

+1

Feels as comfortable or non comfortable as an A2 stock IMO. I have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:47:37 PM EDT
LMT's SOPMOD stock comes with a non-slip rubber "recoil" pad attached already. It's obviously more for the grip than the recoil, but it is very comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:48:11 PM EDT

OK OK OK..............OKAY

From the respones I got from this post I can definately see that
if you have a butt pad on you AR-15 than your a PUSSY!!

I just saw this small, thin plastic butt stock and it looked like the pad fell off the end.
I do like the collapsible type.
That is what I will buy, with no GAY BUTT PAD!!Frank
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:55:57 PM EDT
Adding a butt pad is mainly for increasing the lenght of pull wich is to short for many. I use A-1 stocks for better handling.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:41:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GUNGUY1911:
LMT's SOPMOD stock comes with a non-slip rubber "recoil" pad attached already. It's obviously more for the grip than the recoil, but it is very comfortable.

I just ordered one so that's good to know. Recoil has never been a problem with AR's,though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:03:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:04:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HP40:
I use A-1 stocks for better handling.

I love the A1 stock.
It's perfect for my short stubby arms.
Of course a 6 position telestock on #4 is also perfect for me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:05:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:

i like them

+1
A friend of mine just got an RRA with an M4 stock, and when I mentioned that I had a "recoil" pad on mine, he laughed until I then mentioned that it helps keep the weapon from slipping off your shoulder. This is a big plus, if you ever have to shoot while wearing any kind of LBE or body armor.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:03:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2005 4:04:51 PM EDT by _DR]

OK OK OK..............OKAY

From the respones I got from this post I can definately see that
if you have a butt pad on you AR-15 than your a PUSSY!!

I just saw this small, thin plastic butt stock and it looked like the pad fell off the end.
I do like the collapsible type.
That is what I will buy, with no GAY BUTT PAD!!

Frank

Well, it is useful if you find one that stays on - but only for extending the length if fully extended length is not long enough. Not needed for recoil at all on a 5.56mm weapon. Possibly traction too, as rubber will grab fabric better than hard plastic. The problem is they tend to fall off with any agressive moves. But for comfort, nah, not needed.

Just don't expect a solid stock with zero movement like the A2. The collapsibles all have a bit of play, except expensive collapsibles like the Magpul M93 or the Ace SOCOM M4. Those collapsibles are Rock solid, but run between $150-$250 vs $50-$70 for a standard M4 type stock or much less for an older style collapsible.

But I was just ribbin' ya. get what works for you!

ETA - also can help buffer the fall if the weapon is dropped on concrete stock first.
But I always found them to be more of a hindrance than a help. Your results may vary.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:37:01 PM EDT

i like them

I have to agree, the non slip attribute is the reason I have one. Our uniforms are a poly blend and with my vest I don't get a positive shoulder hold with a regular stock end.The rubber just seems to grab better. For $10.00 get one, if you don't like it, there is no big loss. While some people don't find this to be a problem, for my body build I find it works best for me. As for softening recoil, I think the mangina comments speak for themselves
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:45:16 PM EDT
I use an M4 stock, and ride it very high into my shoulder. Sometimes, depending on the shooting position, only the bottom tip is touching my shoulder. This is because the stock has absolutely no drop, and I don't like having my headed canted so far to the side for good sight alignment.

Even with this minimal shoulder contact, recoil is pitiful. I could shoot forever like that and have no problems with stability and target reacquisition.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:19:04 PM EDT
This thread reminded me of Basic. On the first day of live fire, the range instructors did a little demo to rid any of the recruits fear of recoil, many had never fired a gun before and only knew about them from tv. They got a "volunteer" to stand there, placed the butt of the weapon (these were A2's, only a little less recoil than an M4 IMO) on various parts of his body and pulled the trigger. They didn't actually hold the gun, just held it up so it wouldn't fall. Started with the chest and shoulder, then his forehead, then of course his nuts.
After that nobody was afraid of the (lack of) recoil anymore. :)
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:33:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 7:36:00 PM EDT by OG10807]

Originally Posted By Unicorn:
This thread reminded me of Basic. On the first day of live fire, the range instructors did a little demo to rid any of the recruits fear of recoil, many had never fired a gun before and only knew about them from tv. They got a "volunteer" to stand there, placed the butt of the weapon (these were A2's, only a little less recoil than an M4 IMO) on various parts of his body and pulled the trigger. They didn't actually hold the gun, just held it up so it wouldn't fall. Started with the chest and shoulder, then his forehead, then of course his nuts.
After that nobody was afraid of the (lack of) recoil anymore. :)

This must be common pratice. I remember one of the range instructor "demonstrating" the recoil of an m16a2 at the live fire range. He put the butt of an M16A2 to his sack and dumped the mag on burst while air humping and screaming at the top of his lungs.

Once finished he turned and said to everyone "That my fucking war face."

Maybe he watched full metal jacket too many times?
funny shit
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:01:10 PM EDT
All I've ever had rubber "recoil" pads do is snag on clothing and stuff, when I really need to shoot. Please don't ruin your AR15 with one.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:18:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By _DR:

Thanks
Frank

tinypic.com/jg5c7t.jpg

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:12:55 AM EDT
Not needed for recoil reduction at all. The argument for better adhesion (especially on nylon gear) is valid. But I have found that sometimes the rubber pads 'snag' or catch on gear or clothing while trying to mount the weapon. To me, this is worse than the slippage issue - since the simple application of rearward force can overcome this. I tried the pad and ended up removing it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:29:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GUNGUY1911:

Totally agree. Best stock I've ever owned out of many.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:52:07 AM EDT
For all of you that think the Rubber pad is for recoil.......That is wrong. now drop and knock out 25 bucketheads..

The whole point is for those shooters who use/Shoot with any type of gear. (i.e. vest,Armor,LBV,etc)

The Plastic stock can be very slippery when you shoulder your weapon onto a vest. The Rubber pad is tacky and helps keep the weapon shoulder without slipping. once applied in can be Zip tied on the stock so it doe not come off.

Iif you find you weapon slip/slides around on you then a rubber pad will correct that problem. The original SOCOM stock has one on their for the same reason as it was recommended by end users who find them selves shouldering weapons wearing gear in a wet environment.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:57:12 AM EDT
I'm not going to read all this tripe. The fact is that in some prone or sitting positions the stock will sit right on your collarbone. Yes, it is a litlle uncomfortable.

Also, the rubber adds grip.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:10:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zardoz:

i like them

+1
This is a big plus, if you ever have to shoot while wearing any kind of LBE or body armor.

+1

I don't have any of the add-on pads, but the rubber on my SOPMOD does keep the stock from slipping of my armor...
Top Top