Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 6:41:20 PM EDT
First off let me say that I am not knocking anyones product or any certain company.  I want to make sure that is clear, because I don't know enough about AR's to make any kind of assumption.  However, looking through the EE I have noticed that certain company's AR complete uppers are ridiculously high compared to others. I have looked and researched, but still cannot see the difference.  For instance you can get a Stag upper for one price, but then LMT or CMMG will be extremely higher.  Not knocking any again, but just wondering why these companies are so high priced?  Is there something better about these that I am missing?  Again this is not a troll post or anything, just trying to educate myself for a future purchase.  

Thank You.

Blaker
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not that the LMT and CMMG uppers are so high, it's that the Stag uppers are so low.

I haven't noticed much of a difference in prices for complete uppers between CMMG and RRA and Bushmaster.

Stags are about 10% lower.  

LMT's on the other hand are about 10% more.  I'm not sure about their uppers, but I have an LMT lower and the nicer parts in it and the telestocks go a long way towards explaining why they have a $330 price tag instead of around $265 like several other makers.

Anything Colt costs and arm and a leg, regardless of whether or not it is worth it (it's worth it in some cases, but if you could afford it you probably wouldn't have posted this thread).

Price differences happen for all sorts of reasons, many of which don't have anything directly to do with the quality of the product.  Things like how big their operation is, shifting demand from us AR nuts, etc.  Manufacturers also sometimes cut their prices to get their foot in the door.

If you're looking at Stag, LMT, and CMMG uppers, you're probably looking for an M4 type carbine upper.  If the cost difference between an LMT upper and an RRA or Stag upper is enough to make a big difference to you, then by all means get a Stag upper or a BCM upper from Bravo Co.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:08:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's not that the LMT and CMMG uppers are so high, it's that the Stag uppers are so low.

I haven't noticed much of a difference in prices for complete uppers between CMMG and RRA and Bushmaster.

Stags are about 10% lower.  

LMT's on the other hand are about 10% more.  I'm not sure about their uppers, but I have an LMT lower and the nicer parts in it and the telestocks go a long way towards explaining why they have a $330 price tag instead of around $265 like several other makers.

Anything Colt costs and arm and a leg, regardless of whether or not it is worth it (it's worth it in some cases, but if you could afford it you probably wouldn't have posted this thread).

Price differences happen for all sorts of reasons, many of which don't have anything directly to do with the quality of the product.  Things like how big their operation is, shifting demand from us AR nuts, etc.  Manufacturers also sometimes cut their prices to get their foot in the door.

If you're looking at Stag, LMT, and CMMG uppers, you're probably looking for an M4 type carbine upper.  If the cost difference between an LMT upper and an RRA or Stag upper is enough to make a big difference to you, then by all means get a Stag upper or a BCM upper from Bravo Co.  

Good Answer. I suggest you remember one thing when you get ready for your purchase.  Is this a toy to play with?  Or is this equipment that my life is going to depend on?  If the latter, use what the pros use. {what ever that may be}  enjoy your purchase.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:11:46 AM EDT
[#3]
some companies have been doing it longer and feel that their products are worth a premium.

there is also the fact that some put more work/money into their products so the end cost is higher
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:17:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I haven't been keeping up with the Stag products, but make sure that you compare apples to apples.  This means barrel steel, feed ramps, mp testing, etc.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:20:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Some companies also charge more because their name is more recognizable. Some companies charge less because they want to make inroads into the market.

Some charege less because their profit margin does not depend on buying the product from a third party manufacturer. Some charge more because they buy parts elsewhere and need to make a profit, or they machine parts in house and don't have volume, but do have quality.

Finally, some companies charge more just to make a quick buck.

This applies to all industries, not just the firearms business.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:54:21 AM EDT
[#6]
You need to remember that Stag is the "house brand" for CMT.  CMT makes parts for MANY of the other AR "manufacturers".  When you buy Stag parts, think of it as eliminating the middle man.

You're also going to pay a premium for any of the latest / greatest / coolest parts.  If a company gets and NSN number, you can almost count on their prices going up.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:03:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quick reply this morning before I leave.  I think last night I was looking at models with the 1/7 twist barrel.  Even the Stag model was high priced in this configuration.  I think maybe this is where I got confused.  Does 1/7 twist make the upper more expensive?

Blaker
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quick reply this morning before I leave.  I think last night I was looking at models with the 1/7 twist barrel.  Even the Stag model was high priced in this configuration.  I think maybe this is where I got confused.  Does 1/7 twist make the upper more expensive?

Blaker

yes, usually
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top