BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 10:47:50 AM EDT
Just curious what type shoes everyone here wears

Just some reasoning behind my question

There are so many people here dead set against Colt for the simple reason that because "you can get the same thing cheaper" in one of the other brands

If that is the case then by the same reasoning these same people should be shopping at Payless shoes,
same thing only cheaper?
I think not

Dont turn this into a Colt Bash, It's NOT.

This is about your willingness to sacrifice quality for money, be it Rifles, Shoes, Clothes, Food, anything,

Lets hear some things where you would rather save money and go with the generic product

Myself? I'm a money waster, I always look for the better product and spend the money, what ever it is, my wife hates me for it

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Right out of the fucking box you pull this shit

I told you it's not about Colt or any other rifle, it's about your willingness to be thrifty and on what products

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually, I bet the shoes at Payless are  probably as good as Nike, Reebok, etc.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#4]
You're making the assumption that there is some significant quality loss with the less expensive brands.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I wind up wearing Florsheim shoes most of the time and when I can, New Balance. I’ve got an old pair of Redwing boots I wear whenever I’m outside a lot and just yesterday bought a pair of Danners as the Redwings aren’t waterproof and it rains a lot here in the PNW.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#6]
OK, I'll play the game, but the results are based on factors not relevant to the premise you propose.

I bought an RRA because, IMHO:
1) Colt's are less bang for the buck (no one will know if it was a Colt, an RRA or any other brand that launched to bullet).
2) It is reported/alledged (I don't know) Colt's attitude towards the "civilian sector" owners leaves much to be desired.
3) It is reported/alledged (I don't know) that Colt's customer service from Colt is indifferent, at best.
4) I DO know that customer service at RRA is top notch.
5) RRA can/will provide an AR tailored with the features YOU want.  Colt has sort of the original Henry Ford attitude that, to paraphrase, "you can have anything you want as long as it is something we already build".

I buy New Balance shoes and Tony Lama boots because I have a FAT FOOT and they are one of the few makers that provide extra wide sizes. Oh, yes their shoes don't look like rejects from the some science fiction movie.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I’m going to keep my mouth shut on this one, but I guess the old saying is right, “If it cost more it must be better”
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is where I stand. I kind of like colts,never owned a Colt AR but have handeled several and shot some with a fellow gun club member. The big thing about colts that makes me crazy is the pin sizes! I am buying into a system and just do not want to have to deal with adapters and offset pins and all that.
Because of that my first AR was a BM ,I now own BM,RR,stag,and an OLY .
It is also somewhat more of a hassel to own a Colt here in CT because we have the remnants of a AW law.
This is very crazy as COLT,CMT,STAG,OK industries (magazines) are all Ct companies,you tell me what % of AR stuff comes from my state!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here is where I stand. I kind of like colts,never owned a Colt AR but have handeled several and shot some with a fellow gun club member. The big thing about colts that makes me crazy is the pin sizes! I am buying into a system and just do not want to have to deal with adapters and offset pins and all that.
Because of that my first AR was a BM ,I now own BM,RR,stag,and an OLY .
It is also somewhat more of a hassel to own a Colt here in CT because we have the remnants of a AW law.
This is very crazy as COLT,CMT,STAG,OK industries (magazines) are all Ct companies,you tell me what % of AR stuff comes from my state!

That is sooooo MESSED UP!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Almost only reason I don´t own Colt is their odd sized pivot and fire control group pins.

Colt is damn good but I like to switch lower between different uppers (which I have more than lowers) and I don´t like to fool around with screw drivers and adapters.

That´s why I´m going to stick with Bushmaster and I can always "update" them with MPI parts if I want. That won´t be a problem since my buddy has access to Magnaflux equipment.

MN

ETA: money I save buying Bushmaster I put on high quality optics and other hi speed gizmos but that is just another hobby.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm wearing Nikes from Academy Sports and outdoors because they actually FIT my feet.  I own an RRA flat top middie because 1) it's the form I wanted, 2) it was available when I was ready to buy, 3) it was not priced to include the "pastiche" of the ponies, and 4) it WAS priced reasonably.

I have yet to see any real reason not to go with one of the big 4 brands (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, and (yes) RRA), but I have indeed seen reason to avoid some dealers-mostly because they try to improve their own appearance by saying "we only sell Colt because anything else is crap."  They also charge a serious premium over the going rate for their Colts.  Fortunately these have been very few and far between in my experience.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Nike hiking boots that look like black shoes.   I don't think payless has the same quality though  To me the quality of something you buy isn't only measured in the product, but the service behind it.  This being the case, I'd rather have a DPMS than a colt.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think Nike and Payless is a good comparison between your Colt and my Armalite or RR.
I don't like buying cheap crap and tend to lean toward quality. I don't think just because you don't have a Colt in the closet means that you settled. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against Colt, I am sure it is a great gun. Colt might be the Rolex of AR's but the rest of us are not shooting something out of a Cracker Jacks box.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#15]
all (most) Very good points and reasoning
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Well its is now my turn to chime in...

I wear what fits without breaking the bank...and thats not to say I dont like quality but with shoes these days...come on!  I own 2 bushys and love then...Colt was just a bit harder to aquire and I heard (from dealer and others on the board) that bushy makes a hell of a firearm and they have "great custermer support".  So lets go back to the original Q...

I own Nike, Reebok, timberland, Nun-Bush, walmart specials. I own 2 bushys, 2 rugers, 2 kimbers, and three Porsches... I buy what I like and get a comfortable feeling...what ever the price...

I dont mean to knock anyone here just personal taste...and who knows maybe I will own a colt in the future. :)
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Right out of the fucking box you pull this shit

I told you it's not about Colt or any other rifle, it's about your willingness to be thrifty and on what products

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#18]
The way I see it, you're implying that everything but Colt is generic and low quality. For that, I don't feel you deserve a logical answer, as your questioning is biased beyond reason.

This is obviously not a Colt bash session, it's a bash everything but Colt topic.

I like all brands and I'll buy what I want, but you won't be finding me challenging other people's opinions, just to talk up another brand though. Colt makes a great product just as RRA and Bushmaster do as well.

Yard dog, I feel you have alot of knowledge and experience to share, but I see this as being a low blow to challenge others decisions and opinions. JMO.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#19]
My footwear is made by Matterhorn.

-K
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Nike's a well known big name, but my Colt doesn't have a "Made in China" label like a majority of Nike products.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#21]
from personal experience, Nikes last longer.  just like my Bushmaster.  hopefully my Lcw/cmt build will work as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The way I see it, you're implying that everything but Colt is generic and low quality. For that, I don't feel you deserve a logical answer, as your questioning is biased beyond reason.

This is obviously not a Colt bash session, it's a bash everything but Colt topic.

I like all brands and I'll buy what I want, but you won't be finding me challenging other people's opinions, just to talk up another brand though. Colt makes a great product just as RRA and Bushmaster do as well.

Yard dog, I feel you have alot of knowledge and experience to share, but I see this as being a low blow to challenge others decisions and opinions. JMO.

You've got a good point there and I must admit my motivation on starting this thread was from the recent Colt bashing,
But please dont get me wrong, I'm not saying everything else is bad, I have RRA, Bushmaster, Lauer, PWA and an LMT, all are very good weapons but my main area of interest is in Colt, not for their recent products and I do like them, but in their History, from a collectors standpoint there is more there than any recent manufacturers. given that the more recent AR products are there to make money in offering an AR platform.

I just have a hard time understanding why so many people will trash Colt never having owned one, I dislike their politics as much as the next guy. but they have made some very good rifles in the past and is a very big part of the AR scene.

I dont challenge someones opinion on which type of rifle to buy but if they are trying to decide between Bushmaster, RRA and Armalite against a Colt they might as well buy them all because they're still going to want their next choice and most likely will buy it

Please accept my apology if it sounds as if I'm a "hate everything but Colt Guy" I'm Not

Thanks for your reply
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Nikes (NEVER the ones made in China)
Bates
some italian leather ones
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Shoes?? Avia, Nunn Bush etc. They seem to be of good quality and good value. I read that a pair of Nike tennis shoes, middle of the line, cost 12.00 dollars to make. Then extra dollars are added for shipping accross the pond, then some more for Tiger Woods and A-Rod and the rest, knocking the price up over 100.00 bucks. Bull shit, I am not paying their salaries. As for Colt firearms, I have a Gold Cup and standard 1911, both good pistols. I do think I paid extra for the name.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Shoe: Alden Cordovan Plain Toe Blucher Oxford
Rifle: Colt LE6920
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Almost only reason I don´t own Colt is their odd sized pivot and fire control group pins.

Colt is damn good but I like to switch lower between different uppers (which I have more than lowers) and I don´t like to fool around with screw drivers and adapters.

That´s why I´m going to stick with Bushmaster and I can always "update" them with MPI parts if I want. That won´t be a problem since my buddy has access to Magnaflux equipment.

MN

ETA: money I save buying Bushmaster I put on high quality optics and other hi speed gizmos but that is just another hobby.

On the LEO models these are now standard.  Only the fire control group pins are different.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I always wear my Bruno Magli loafers when shooting my Colts.

Since they don't match my Bushmaster, I just go barefoot.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You've got a good point there and I must admit my motivation on starting this thread was from the recent Colt bashing,
But please dont get me wrong, I'm not saying everything else is bad, I have RRA, Bushmaster, Lauer, PWA and an LMT, all are very good weapons but my main area of interest is in Colt, not for their recent products and I do like them, but in their History, from a collectors standpoint there is more there than any recent manufacturers. given that the more recent AR products are there to make money in offering an AR platform.

I just have a hard time understanding why so many people will trash Colt never having owned one, I dislike their politics as much as the next guy. but they have made some very good rifles in the past and is a very big part of the AR scene.

I dont challenge someones opinion on which type of rifle to buy but if they are trying to decide between Bushmaster, RRA and Armalite against a Colt they might as well buy them all because they're still going to want their next choice and most likely will buy it

Please accept my apology if it sounds as if I'm a "hate everything but Colt Guy" I'm Not

Thanks for your reply

I completely agree that Colt has alot more history than any other AR15 manufacturer. From a collector's standpoint, there's not much in the AR15 world aside from Colt.

I think Colt's management is horridly unfair, but I will be one of the first to say they offer a very good product. I can also say from experience that Rock River offers a quality product, as well as Bushmaster and Armalite.

I agree that the only way to make a clear choice is to experience it yourself. I prefer either Rock River or Colt myself, but that is just my opinion. In the real world, they should all funtion just fine, I just feel the fit and finish on Colt's and RRA's is superior. Again, that's just my opinion that I'm sure many will disagree with.

I can understand why you're angered by the Colt bashers, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. In most cases blatantly false assumptions are made, and these people take away from the AR15 community as a whole. Other opinions may or may not be truthful, but my experience has already formed an opinion that only another experience can change.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Shoe: Wolverine workboots, Wolverine workboots, Wally*World hunting boots.

Rifles: RRA mutt, RRA parts gun, Superior Arms mutt, Oly Arms mutt.

I don't feel like I settled on RRA, I chose RRA because I have faith in them. The Oly was a rookie mistake from 2 years ago and the Superior was just something different I built with odd parts.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Sneaks: Rebook Classic (3 pairs)  Nike running shoes

AR:  Bushy M4A2
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Shoes? what shoes, I spent the money on guns
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Only the fire control group pins are different.

Not quite enough for me...

MN
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#33]
i like the nike
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Depends on what I'm going to be using it and how frequently.  Like tools.  If it's something I'm going to use very rarely, etc, I'll buy cheap stuff (i.e. some of the cheap Harbor Freight hand tools).  If it's something I'm going to be using A LOT (power tools, etc) I'll buy the best I can afford, and I'm a bit of a brand snob in that area, I prefer DeWalt products (which like some of the rifle manufacturers, people love or hate).  

I got tired of replacing cheap power tools every year or two, so made up my mind to make a good initial investment in something that lasts, vs. buying something cheap every year or two.

Whatever that saying is about the happiness of a cheap price lasting much less than the happiness of buying quality (paraphrasing).

I prefer ArmaLite rifles and Adidas shoes.  

ETA:  and Ford.  Now it will get REALLY interesting.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Only the fire control group pins are different.

Not quite enough for me...

MN

More for me!

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a couple different brands of combat boots, but they were kinda issued to me so not much choice.

I have an RRA rifle at home. I actually paid for that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#37]
It's interesting that the folks who embrace the "Colt" name have such delicate egos, that they perceive ANY criticism of the amount of money "Colt" charges for their product to be an attack.  I think their totally unfounded reaction stems from their own insecurity, which is why they rely upon the overpriced name of "Colt" or "Harley-Davidson" or "Snap-On".  All three brands are slightly higher quality than their competition, but are 2 to 3 times more expensive.  If Colt products were 10 percent higher priced than RRA or Armalite, I'd be a leader on the Colt bandwagon.  

If you gotta own a name, good for you.  I just can't justify the amount of money involved, especially since the cheaper brands deliver equivalent service.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I like Colt.  But I do sacrafice in the chow department as well as clothing.

max
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Colt is Nice but I can't justify spending 4-500 dollars more for the same product just because it has a hoarse on it.......

This is the rifle I  used in Iraq.... I purchased that RRA m4 upper on Flebay ( before they stopped sales and the stock is another High quality "colt rip off"
My rifle was a colt A2 before I started......................
I put my Money/Life where my mouth is...

Just my .02
PS I never had a problem with any issue ammo.....But I tried shooting the issue BRIT ammo and had all kinds or FTF FTE  and not just in my Weapon
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#40]
I have Bushmaster, Stag Arms, and RRA stuff.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I buy cheap cars, cheap clothes, cheap shoes [except for 2 pair of german [hanweg] mountain shoes. cheap women. I buy higher priced guns with a side of ammo with the savings.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top