Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 10:22:56 PM EDT
Are there any advantages to a mid length 16" over a M4 style? The longer sight radius could be helpful, but does the mid length gas system help/hurt reliability? The M4 seems to be a lot more popular, is it just the look people like or is because they are more readily available? If the barrel is going to be 16", building a mid length makes a lot of sense to me. Someone clue me in.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:30:34 PM EDT
Unless you're mounting a 203, I don't think the M4 is going to give you much advantage... maybe price... The M4 is just more popular.
I own both, and I can tell you that the middy is a much much smoother shooter. Supposedly the M4 carbine gas system puts more wear on the reciever, but I wouldn't know, I've never shot any of my ARs enough to see "reciever wear", even in the 10s of thousands of rounds I put through them.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:52:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By steve-oh:
Unless you're mounting a 203, I don't think the M4 is going to give you much advantage... maybe price... The M4 is just more popular.
I own both, and I can tell you that the middy is a much much smoother shooter. Supposedly the M4 carbine gas system puts more wear on the reciever, but I wouldn't know, I've never shot any of my ARs enough to see "reciever wear", even in the 10s of thousands of rounds I put through them.

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/steve--oh/shooting125.jpg

+1

and the middly looks better than the M4 imo; h/w, the HBARs make M4 lowers kinda front heavier

nice AR mr steve
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:53:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ReverendBuck:
Are there any advantages to a mid length 16" over a M4 style? The longer sight radius could be helpful, but does the mid length gas system help/hurt reliability? The M4 seems to be a lot more popular, is it just the look people like or is because they are more readily available? If the barrel is going to be 16", building a mid length makes a lot of sense to me. Someone clue me in.

well, If all goes well with my current job set up, I'll be having both for 14.5" barrel - M4 ; for 16" - Midlength, function will be OK for both, but the midlength theoretically be smoother if barrel profile is comperable (ie, no gov. profile 14.5 vs. HBAR 16 midlength). My $.02 worth
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:20:24 PM EDT
If you want a M4-type, get a 14.5" barrel with permenantly attached FH; if you want a 16" barrel, get a midlength.

Better yet, get both:

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:40:24 PM EDT
Build a middy. Steve-Oh, how do you like those Nittos man?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:07:58 AM EDT
there should be no reliability problems with the midlenght and read that it is actually a better setup since it allows the violent gas to settle before hitting the carrier unlike the carbine gas system.

Top Top