Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2005 6:32:15 PM EDT
my understanding of the assault weapon ban in calif is,,,,,,,, if it was a pre ban rifle which you legally registered with calif's DOJ, then you could still add items such as, colapsable stocks, shortened barrells such as the 16" M4 short version. Only the reciever is the legal part thats registered,and cannot be altered in any way,  soooooooo, my question is, why couldnt you buy this DSA model, register the lower, then add the stocks, pistol grip, flash suppressor later, it was a legally registered AR 15 when you purchased it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
my understanding of the assault weapon ban in calif is,,,,,,,, if it was a pre ban rifle which you legally registered with calif's DOJ, then you could still add items such as, colapsable stocks, shortened barrells such as the 16" M4 short version. Only the reciever is the legal part thats registered,and cannot be altered in any way,  soooooooo, my question is, why couldnt you buy this DSA model, register the lower, then add the stocks, pistol grip, flash suppressor later, it was a legally registered AR 15 when you purchased it.

Might want to ask this in the CA hometown forum...might get a better response from that. BUT, I don't quite get what you're asking. If your rifle IS registered with the DOJ as an AW the federal ban is OVER and you can pretty much add what you want. But if you're saying buy a NEW DSA lower, you would have to wait and see IF they open up a registration period. When you buy a rifle in California, it ISN'T registered to you. The DROS is not a registration for rifles. Only pistols are registered. You can't register an AW anymore unless you either did it back before 2000 or if they open up a new registration period. Re-ask this on the CA hometown forum and you'll get a better answer than mine.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Your question is a little confusing, but I'll try it on...

A CA AW that is legally registered means that you possessed the firearm or receiver prior to the effective date of the ban and registered it prior to the cut-off date.  The last time this occurred was SB23 which banned weapons based on physical features.  Any weapon that meets the definition of an AW in CA and is not registered is illegal.

The whole issue right now is whether or not DOJ will actually add anything to the list.  IMO they will not add anything because maintaining the status quo is FAR more desirable from their perspective than allowing thousands more bare receivers to be registered with a new listing in Roberti-Roos only to be built into full-blown AWs after registration. To do nothing means that all these receivers will stay bare stripped receivers.

To your question, buying a DSA AR lower is legal, but you cannot build it into anything interesting unless and until they add DSA's model to the list.  If I understnad you correctly, to answer your question, you cannot register anything until they add that make and model to the list, ONLY THEN will registrations be open for those makes and models only.  If you try to register something that was registerable long ago, you are sending them an invistation to indict you for possession. DOJ does not accept registrations for firearms that are not registerable, meaning it's either not an AW or it is an AW that should have already been registered during the appropriate window provided by the legislation.

Go ahead anf buy that DSA lower, but do not build it until they add it to the list, which I doubt they'll ever do.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#3]
ok, i understand what your saying, i didnt quite ask the question right, i know the dsa is not registered as an AW when you buy it. what i meant to ask, if you buy it legally now, doj decides to classify it as an AW but gives you the same rights as they did back when, and let you register it, legally, couldnt you now, make the same modifications that the prebans have been able to make? Why would it be any different of a situation as the preban era?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, the Fed AWB is over. Once its registered by the Kaliban as an AW, they don't care how many evil features it has.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top