Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2005 11:02:52 AM EDT
I know it's been done before, but I wanted to show what I did this summer.

I built an M4gery last September, and have been beating the crap out of it ever since.  After a number of carbine classes, I became convinced that "Target Indicator Black" was a bad thing.  Others here have had good success with Krylon, and I figured "What the Hell?  It can always come off with some break cleaner.", so off I went to my local Wallyworld.

First up, complete disassembly, with the exception of the barrel and delta ring.  All parts degreased, heated at about 150-200*, degreased, heated, and degreased again.  Note: do not do this in your kitchen oven when the wife is around.

Parts to get paint:

Parts not to get paint:

I went out and got an assortment of Krylon camo and satin paints (Krylon dark brown not shown), one can of Rustoleum Primer, and a roll of blue painter's tape:

I had an impossible time finding the Krylon camo color "Medium Brown", and thought it could be duplicated with the primer.  I had reservations about mixing brands, as I've had Krylon react badly with Rustoleum before.  I mixed them anyway with the expected bad results.  If you plan on a DIY paint job, dont' mix the brands!

The important parts were masked:

I put a first coat of the Khaki on and baked again:

Two coats of the Khaki (with baking and reassembly) later:

The khaki color IS light, but it isn't that light.  Here it is against a white background:

I added color by lightly misting to fade from one color to the next.

Observations:

Krylon O.D. is dark.
Krylon dark brown is even darker.
Rustoleum red primer reacts with Krylon, and is, well reddish.
Krylon satin forest green has a blue tint, but it'll do if you've got connifer forests in your AO (as I do).
Krylon satin light tan might as well be white.  I didn't use any.
Krylon satin light green is a good color, but like all their satin colors, it's a bit shiny.

Here's what I ended up with after an hour's worth of work:

What the same paint looked like outside in the sunlight:

Note: Do not attempt to put the handguards on until everything is completely dry.  I didn't, and have two bunged up spots on either side of the Dring from installation.  Otherwise, I wasn't completely satisfied with the results above (I thought this was just a bit too green), so I fogged on some more of the Krylon camo kahki.

Here's what the finished product looked like (still a little tacky at the time the photos were taken):

It looks a little light, but refer to the some of the other photos (especially the ones against the brick) as a comparison of the kahki color.  The light appearance has got a lot to do with my crappy camera skills.  In all reality, the camo blends well with the foliage in three seasons of Wisconsin weather.  It's a little too light for mid-summer, but summer only last for two weeks here.

I don't have a recent photo, but I've been beating on this rifle like a red-headed stepchild since August.  It does have a few scrapes in the paint (if I had clear coated, it may have prevented that), but the only area where it's really failed was where the paint didn't completely take on the lens caps of the TacPoint.

I'll see what I can do about getting updated pics.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it looks nice! I still haven't gotten the nerve to do one in any color other than black.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#2]
The photos outside looked much nicer, I liked it pre and post kahki - both looked good to me.

One question on your setup.  WHY a fixed rear sight with a fold down front sight?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The photos outside looked much nicer, I liked it pre and post kahki - both looked good to me.

One question on your setup.  WHY a fixed rear sight with a fold down front sight?

Thanks, like I said, I'll have to get some updated photos up (in sunlight).

As for why the flip up FSB, the gun originally came with a "weaver block" FSB: a solid chunk of metal that I really didn't like.  The YHM flip up had the advantage of being lightweight, had a bayo lug and most importantly, it was a bolt-on mod.  That Phantom is permanently attached to the 14.5 barrel.

I'd rather it have been fixed, but I'm not aware of a fixed FSB that's bolt on.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Fulton has a set screw FSB.  The Army SDM rifle uses one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Right we just discussed it in another thread, however he'd need to remove the Phantom to install it
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#6]

I had an impossible time finding the Krylon camo color "Medium Brown"

The only place I can find the medium brown is at O'Reilly Auto Parts.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right we just discussed it in another thread, however he'd need to remove the Phantom to install it

What thread was that Forest, I'm interested in one on my SDM build.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What thread was that Forest, I'm interested in one on my SDM build.

This one: Windage Adjustable FSB
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top