Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/26/2005 6:12:28 PM EDT
Will it hurt anything to pull the charging handle back with the latch side on the handle only and let it slam forward?

I saw a guy doing it today and he said it doesn't hurt the carier. I figured I would ask on here because I'm not sure of his background with rifles from the way he was firing it.

wes
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
i have had no problems doing this--no extra wear that i can see....

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#2]
you mean like one handed with an oversized tactical latch? i would like to find out also.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not so sure what you mean.  Can someone post a picture comparing the methods?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Will it hurt anything to pull the charging handle back with the latch side on the handle only and let it slam forward?

That is the way you are supposed to do it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a CH with tac latch on and after a few times of charging it like you are asking it wore the anodizing off of it. Still worked fine but when using it like that you are causing the handle to pull to one side instead of straight back which causes more than usual rubbing.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:21:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Pulling back just on the left (latch) side with the index finger is how we usually do it and I'm not aware of any problems-of course these are government owned rifles :)
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:29:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Pulling back just on the left (latch) side with the index finger is how we usually do it and I'm not aware of any problems-of course these are government owned rifles :)

And you wont have problems with Uncle Sams weapons most charging handles are thin and weak.
I have been through CMT,RRA and a no name before settling on Colt they don't twist.

I have a Bushmaster W/Badger latch coming from the EE, hope there decent or i will have to keep on the look out for another Colt.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:23:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Thats how it's done. Weapon on the right shoulder, right hand on pistol grip. Left hand hooks latch side of charging handle and pulls it all the way to the rear, letting it fly forward. I've never seen it cause any undue amount of wear.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:20:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thats how it's done. Weapon on the right shoulder, right hand on pistol grip. Left hand hooks latch side of charging handle and pulls it all the way to the rear, letting it fly forward. I've never seen it cause any undue amount of wear.

+1

but after some time you will notice that the right side of the charging handle will loose its finish before the other.

no biggie its a tool and tools wear after some good use.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:26:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

but after some time you will notice that the right side of the charging handle will loose its finish before the other.

no biggie its a tool and tools wear after some good use.

It only loses it's finish if your pushing on the charging handle while pulling it back.  if you pull it straight out without pushing it to the right, you won't get any wear that's different from using a finger on each side of the handle.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#11]
You can activate the charging handle any way you want-as long as you let the thing go to fly forward!  Don't follow it down (except in a truly silence-needed tactical situation) and it'll be fine.  Using two fingers is a habit I have, but as long as you can release the latch you can use any finger you want, wherever you want on the handle.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That is exactly what I'm talking about. I cycled it a few times like so and seen some scaring inside the upper. I will post pics of the scaring after I get my camera back.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I could be mistaken, but I believe this came up several months ago, that pulling on only the latch side of the charging handle, was torquing it to one side, possibly causing binding or excess wear of the latch recess on the upper. There was some significant discussion as I recall. Dunno what the final outcome ended up being,

I'm just an Armchair Commando, but I would suspect they put two ears on the charging handle for a reason.

JMHO

Lonny
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You can activate the charging handle any way you want-as long as you let the thing go to fly forward!  Don't follow it down (except in a truly silence-needed tactical situation) and it'll be fine.  Using two fingers is a habit I have, but as long as you can release the latch you can use any finger you want, wherever you want on the handle.

+1

I use 2 fingers mostly.  
But I also sometimes put my thumb on the back of the handle, and the inside crease of my knuckle on my pointer finger goes against the latch, pulling it back.  

Either way isnt any harder or easier, just however I grab it at the time.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top