Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 6:08:14 PM EDT

Need a line one one for my carbine - any suggestions on where I might score one are appreciated...

TIA
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster has them, but find something else to buy along with it or you'll pay more for the shipping than for the part.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
dsgarms.com
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#3]
what is the purpose of one?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
"what is the purpose of one?"

It has been my experience that when I am using iron sights on my Bushmaster flat-tops, the front sight is just barely long enough to attain a IBZ. The front sight post is almost out of it's threads and the front sight can even wobble with your finger. So, you replace the front sight post with a longer one so that it sits down in the threads solidly.

I got another question; I have toyed with the idea of installing an AO tritium front sight post. Anyone know if it is too short ?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:04:33 AM EDT
[#5]

It has been my experience that when I am using iron sights on my Bushmaster flat-tops, the front sight is just barely long enough to attain a IBZ. The front sight post is almost out of it's threads and the front sight can even wobble with your finger. So, you replace the front sight post with a longer one so that it sits down in the threads solidly.

You got it...

Thanks for the leads fellas...
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Need a line one one for my carbine - any suggestions on where I might score one are appreciated...

TIA

Bushmaster - but shipping will cost you more than the sight post...sounds like a good excuse to buy some other stuff.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:50:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what is the purpose of one?

There are two different 'standards' in front sight bases and removable carry handles.
The military spec parts are roughly 0.040" taller than the commercial parts.
These front sight bases are usually identified with an "F" stamp, signifying use with a "Flattop" receiver and removable carry hande.
Non-marked front sight bases are correct height for an A2 receiver or a commercial carry handle.
If you mix a milspec carry handle with a commercial front sight base, you will find that the front sight post is about 0.040" too short.
Hence the reason taller front sight posts exist.

Very correct Randall but do you know why Colt/MIL-SPEC chose to use taller sights? Cause I sure don't and no one else here seems to know the real reason either. Same with Colt when I called them, they didn't even sound like they knew they made AR15s.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
How the heck would one know if their carry handle was milspec?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 556Cliff
    Very correct Randall but do you know why Colt/MIL-SPEC chose to use taller sights? Cause I sure  don't and no one else here seems to know the real reason either. Same with Colt when I called them, they didn't even sound like they knew they made AR15s.

A good guess or reason why would be because two NSNs, part numbers for two front sight post in the Army inventory would be a bad idea. It would not take long for an armor that was not paying attention to what he was doing and put a tall front sight for a carbine on a standard A2. The shooter of the A2 would be on a range wondering why his sight post is bottomed out and it will not go down anymore and he can not zero. In the civilian world it really does not matter. Most shooters rarely bend sight post and those who do tend to know what they need as a replacement.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Originally Posted By 556Cliff
    Very correct Randall but do you know why Colt/MIL-SPEC chose to use taller sights? Cause I sure  don't and no one else here seems to know the real reason either. Same with Colt when I called them, they didn't even sound like they knew they made AR15s.

A good guess or reason why would be because two NSNs, part numbers for two front sight post in the Army inventory would be a bad idea. It would not take long for an armor that was not paying attention to what he was doing and put a tall front sight for a carbine on a standard A2. The shooter of the A2 would be on a range wondering why his sight post is bottomed out and it will not go down anymore and he can not zero. In the civilian world it really does not matter. Most shooters rarely bend sight post and those who do tend to know what they need as a replacement.

That would be a good reason, but I have not seen any proof for a need of a taller FSP for carbines when useing a non mil-spec shorter rear sights.

From what I see you only need a taller mil-spec front sight if you have a taller mil-spec rear sight and you only need a taller mil-spec rear sight when useing a taller mil-spec front sight.

If Colt/MIL-SPEC just made their front and rear sights for their flat tops the same height as the sights on their standard non flat top rifles and carbines there would be no problem.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#15]
another reason why colt is messed up.  i like them but they sure do alot of screwy things.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Taglicious.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:35:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I've owned 2 A2 Dissipators, and both required the site post base to be raised out of it's bed to adjust for the 50yd zero. Just replaced the posts with .040+ now I have the proper alignment and the post bases are flush.

Don't know why that is, but that's what it took.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Are the Armalite posts at DSG Arms milspec?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top