Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Many Mil-spec (I am in NO WAY saying Wolf is Mil-spec) rounds have the red primer sealant as well.

WIZZO

Wizzo is absolutely correct on this one.  I've seen plenty of WCC (Winchester military contract, also found in older WWB "Made in USA" ammo) and LC (Lake City Arsenal) ammo with the red fingernail-polish looking sealant on the primer.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The Sportsmans Guide: AX5A-0051319 1000 RDS WOLF .223 62GR FMJ
108.96 TO MY DOOR
Nuff said
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep hearing that the wolf is really dirty... i havnt shot em yet so i dunno if they are or not but I would think to really notice that wolf is dirtier the rounds must be taking a big shit in your gun...lol  Has anyone really started off with a spotless AR and shot a set number of rounds of other ammo then stripped the gun down, take pictures, show it to a buddy..ect.  Then clean the ar so its spotless again then shot the same number of rds of wolf?  Then take pics, show to buddy, and compare?  Are you just getting more build up in places with wolf or whats the deal??  

Seems like alot of the people that talk shit on wolf are people who has heard its junk and not tested it for themselves.  Im still 50/50 on this and im sure after I shoot it I will find out which 50% is right....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The only bad thing about Wolf is that you don't feel bad burning through tons of ammo for each range session. I tend to be very stingy with my "good" Winchester 3131A or m193. I like Wolf so much I run it in my .45, 9mm, and AK. If it works for YOU, buy some and enjoy shooting.

Very well said.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I ordered 1,000 rounds of Wolf for my Bushy and it'll be here next week, i'll definitely be sure to report back on how it went.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:32:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Winchester white box in the 40rd Value Pack comes out to $193.25 plus sales tax at Wal-Mart ($7.73 a 40rd box).  I buy the local Wal-Marts out every time they have it in stock, usually about 10 boxes at a time.  That is only a little more than what Wolf costs locally  at Sportsman's Warehouse, maybe $40 or so more a case.   Excellent reloadable (or resellable) brass.

Uhhhhm since it can be 1000rds for $105- that is a lot more than 40-.  40 is quite a bit for some of us.
Wolf® .223 Rem.® 55 Gr. HP 1,000 rds.

Break that down per round:
0.10447 Cents per round versus
0.19325 Cents per round

Not quite twice as much but...

Anyway I have run 2500 rounds of this through my BM.  I will buy more.  

However I do keep a close eye on my extractor, but heck I can afford one with the savings.

Quoted:
Don't let the snobs keep you from trying Wolf.  Compare 1000rnds of Wolf to 1000rnds of WWB.  $120 vs $200.  Now factor in time.  

Lets just say you fire 20,000rnds of WWB over the years.  Thats 20 Cases at $200 a case.  Total is $4000.

Now lets say you fire 20,000rnds of Wolf over the years with your AR.  Thats 20 Cases at $120 a case.  Total is $2400.

Now some simple math.  $4000-$2400=$1600

$1600 is enough to get yourself a nice fancy new Colt LE6920.  

How's that for all you Wolf haters???  

CMS - Coltaide drinker  

+1600
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#7]
My lake city M2 ball has the red primer sealant also.  It does not hurt your bolt.  You may need to clean it now and then.  

Now as far as the design of steel ammo in the AK, is the chamber made of harder steel in an ak than an AR.  Or you're saying they make the chamber so loose that the cartridge flops around in there so dirt clods and pebbles, and primer sealant, and smelly wolf powder can all have a party and still function the rifle properly?  

What is exactly the chamber size and how much play is there between the cartridge?  And if there is slop, how does it compare to an AR?   I contend it's probably not going to be enough to make a difference.  I personally have not fired alot of wolf, but the stuff I did functioned fine.  It was a little underpowered but you could argue that would cause less wear too.  I don't know, the cons just don't seem to hold that much water.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, this Wolf ammo thing seems to come up on  regular basis on this forum.
Nothing ever gets resolved but there is a solution:

Bottom line- Wolf is cheap enough for everyone to try.  Experiment with it in your guns and then
decide.  If it works fine for you keep buying.  If not go back to your Federal or whatever.

I'll bet you'll be buying more because for cheap practice ammo it can't be
beat. Keep stockpiling the good stuff for serious purposes but for practice time
I'd rather clean guns  more (rifles or handguns) and save the money. Its not going
to harm them.

Its simple-cheaper ammo means more trigger time for me. You decide for yourself.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Winchester white box in the 40rd Value Pack comes out to $193.25 plus sales tax at Wal-Mart ($7.73 a 40rd box).  I buy the local Wal-Marts out every time they have it in stock, usually about 10 boxes at a time.  That is only a little more than what Wolf costs locally  at Sportsman's Warehouse, maybe $40 or so more a case.   Excellent reloadable (or resellable) brass.

Uhhhhm since it can be 1000rds for $105- that is a lot more than 40-.  40 is quite a bit for some of us.

You are comparing your mail order price vs. my retail price.  I specifically said that Wolf isn't significantly cheaper given the local sources, and since Wolf is over $3 a box retail, that makes it $150 a case vs. $193, which is $43 difference.  The difference is less when you figure the residual value of the good brass in WWB.  Wolf cases are not reloadable, and I reload.  Also, if you buy your Wolf mail order, what do you pay in shipping?  The link you posted requires you to buy a membership to get the price you quote and I couldn't get them to give me a price with shipping without entering all of my credit card data.  I bet you can beat Wal-Mart's price on WWB if you buy mail order as well, so the difference between similar sources may not be that significant again.

Even if it was really a lot more expensive I'd still prefer WWB given the amount more accurate and cleaner it is.  People can shoot whatever they like, and Wolf is cheap enough that its probably no problem to buy a couple boxes to see how well it works.  But I have to seriously wonder given that Wolf consistantly has the most complaints of any brand...  Its just too many to be some kind of coincidence or conspiracy...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#10]

I bet you can beat Wal-Mart's price on WWB if you buy mail order as well

I dunno if you could or not... Everywhere I looked it would end up being more because of shipping..maybe just a few bux more but still more $
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Well shot 40 rds of wolf... I did notice that the wolf has less recoil.  Im not that good at bumpfiring but had more trouble bumping with the wolf.  Didnt really shoot enough to see if its dirty or not.  Ill probably pick up a couple more boxes down the road and try again.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#12]
DMC, this is 9K rounds of Wolf, no cleaning.  12K doesn't look much different.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn!  Now we just need a pic of another AR that shot 9000 rds of WWB without cleaning.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The Sportsmans Guide: AX5A-0051319 1000 RDS WOLF .223 62GR FMJ
108.96 TO MY DOOR
Nuff said

The case of Wolf .223 that I ordered from sportsmansguide like a week ago still hasn't show up yet and UPS tracking info only shows "billing information received."  I called SG and they said UPS picked it up 3 days ago, I called UPS and they said it was never picked up .

Ugh.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are comparing your mail order price vs. my retail price.  I specifically said that Wolf isn't significantly cheaper given the local sources, and since Wolf is over $3 a box retail, that makes it $150 a case vs. $193, which is $43 difference.  The difference is less when you figure the residual value of the good brass in WWB.  Wolf cases are not reloadable, and I reload.  Also, if you buy your Wolf mail order, what do you pay in shipping?  The link you posted requires you to buy a membership to get the price you quote and I couldn't get them to give me a price with shipping without entering all of my credit card data.

1,000 of Wolf rounds is $94.97 and shipping is $12.99.  It is $107.96 shipped to my door.

I am baffled by the amount of people paying close to $200 per case of ammo for just going to the range when they could get DOUBLE the trigger time for half the cost.  If Wolf shoots fine in your rifle, then there is not a single reason in the world why you shouldn't be shooting it, if Wolf doesn't shoot fine in your rifle, then you need to have a gunsmith take a look at your rifle because something is wrong with it.

Of course if you're going to be shooting matches, using your rifle as a duty weapong, or stockpiling ammo for a SHTF scenario, then of course you'll want to go with some higher quality stuff, but for going to the range twice a week just to practice and get some trigger time?  No reason at all NOT to shoot Wolf.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#16]
17K and still going strong!

don't like it? more for me!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I was looking at Wolf ammo last night, and found someone offering new Wolf in brass cases.

I apologize, but I cannot remember where I saw that, so I cannot provide a link.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/319497.jpg

Yikes!  That is nasty!  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I was looking at Wolf ammo last night, and found someone offering new Wolf in brass cases.

I apologize, but I cannot remember where I saw that, so I cannot provide a link.

There is a thread over on the Ammunition forum about it.  Apparently people have seen it advertised on the mail order place Sportsman's Guide.  The price quoted though ($239 per thousand) is more than what Wal-Mart wants for WWB even with 8.25% sales tax ($210 per thousand).  At that price, I can't imagine even the big fans of steel case Wolf flocking to buy it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I hope you aren't going to tell us that you clean it every time you change your underwear.
Too much info... too much in... too muc
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry if I am breaking forum protocol, but would MisterPX please e-mail me.  Your e-mail address listed on this bounced.
Tnxs
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
($239 per thousand) is more than what Wal-Mart wants for WWB even with 8.25% sales tax ($210 per thousand).  

There is no way in hell it will be better than WWB...........and I'm a Wolf fan

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/319497.jpg

first...why would you run your gun with ANYTHING for 9000 rounds without cleaning..

and second.....dose it function like that?
it looks like all the critical areas are still clear.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I tried the older Wolf laquer coated ammo... had problems with it.  The rounds would not seat fully.  One out of every 10 or so.  Someone bought me Wolf Poly coated for Christmas last year.  Worked well, but still was leary of it.

I bought Olympic (Greek) ammo.  It worked well, even though everyone told me it's crap.

Talking to a friend, it comes down to, "Once you find a round that works well in your weapon, stick with it."

I was firing it in my Eagle Arms A3 with SS bull barrel.  That's gone now... I wonder which ammo will work well in my Armalite M4C.

Hardwarz
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
and second.....dose it function like that?
it looks like all the critical areas are still clear.

Ran 100%, all the way through 12K+ rounds, where I broke a couple bolt lugs and the bolt catch within a 600 round span.  I also noticed that the contact patches where the B/BC meets the rec. remained clear.  Lube the friction areas with a few drops of Miltec every K or so worked great for that rifle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#27]
WTF!!!!!!!  "Oh no the wolf steel casings will not wear your gun"  MY ASS...  Check this out..  this is only 40rds of wolf.  Its not from brass casing cause I was lookin at my deflector the other day before I shot wolf and I would of noticed it.

Im not using wolf ever again...  It did cycle fine.  I did notice they dont recoil as much...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
WTF!!!!!!!  "Oh no the wolf steel casings will not wear your gun"  MY ASS...  Check this out..  this is only 40rds of wolf.  Its not from brass casing cause I was lookin at my deflector the other day before I shot wolf and I would of noticed it.

i8.photobucket.com/albums/a16/dmcblaster/Misc%20Pics/brassdeflector.jpg

Im not using wolf ever again...  It did cycle fine.  I did notice they dont recoil as much...

LOL, I hope you're just kidding around .
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Nope... Im dead serious.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the chamber made of harder steel in an ak than an AR.

link please?

Quoted:
 I've seen plenty of WCC (Winchester military contract, also found in older WWB "Made in USA" ammo) and LC (Lake City Arsenal) ammo with the red fingernail-polish looking sealant on the primer.

I would hope so, waterproofed primers are a mil requirement.

Tweak, I should have put a question mark after that statement.  I did put an "IS" before what you just quoted me in my original post.  My point was that I doubt the chamber is harder on an AK than an AR, which makes it all a moot point if you ask me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

You better go shoot some more.  And with brass cased ammo.  They look alot worse than that after awhile.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Nope... Im dead serious.

It is a deflector, it is there to....... deflect.  

I had that same amount of wear after my first range session with my brand new Bushmaster shooting brass cased ammo.  

You're overreacting and frankly, if your deflector DOESN'T have any marks on it, then there is something very wrong.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#33]
What do you think is gonna happen with a casing beating on it?

You saw my pic in the other thread. I doubt yours is gonna get much worse. I have 4000-4500rds through mine and it's not much worse than that.

WIZZO

BTW, where is your rifle ejecting to (12 o'clock being the direction you're shooting)?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#34]
dmc, i'll gladly take that Wolf ammo off your hands for you .
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

What a pansy.  If you never wanted to mar your case deflector why did you even shoot your pretty rifle?  But I guess every hobby has it's guys like you.  

Please, don't shoot wolf.  It'll lower the demand and make it cheaper for me.  As a matter of fact, go patronize Olympic, you and their ammo deserve each other.

BTW, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to wolf ammo.  I've run at least 20,000 rounds of wolf through my rifles with no ammo issues at all, even through my 10 inch upper (notoriously picky about ammo, those short barrels).  In all that I've broken one extractor.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Grow some balls. It is a DEFLECTOR. Eat some pie and shoot your AR and quit worrying about deflection marks, its a rifle, not a porcelein unicorn.
Now go do a mag dump: 60 rounds of wolf and maybe you can get your man card back!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a pansy.  If you never wanted to mar your case deflector why did you even shoot your pretty rifle?  But I guess every hobby has it's guys like you.  

Please, don't shoot wolf.  It'll lower the demand and make it cheaper for me.  As a matter of fact, go patronize Olympic, you and their ammo deserve each other.

BTW, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to wolf ammo.  I've run at least 20,000 rounds of wolf through my rifles with no ammo issues at all, even through my 10 inch upper (notoriously picky about ammo, those short barrels).  In all that I've broken one extractor.

Sorry I cant help wanting to keep my guns nice and new looking...  I like to have nice things...  All im saying is there was only brass marks on the deflector before I shot wolf..  I dont care about the brass marks.  What i dont like is that wolf wore the finish off my gun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
What do you think is gonna happen with a casing beating on it?

You saw my pic in the other thread. I doubt yours is gonna get much worse. I have 4000-4500rds through mine and it's not much worse than that.

WIZZO

BTW, where is your rifle ejecting to (12 o'clock being the direction you're shooting)?

I would say somewhere between 3-4 o'clock
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:05:03 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

your right, that is horrible. might as well throw it away.

mine looks the same at 18k of Wolf through my rifle.

just wait until you see the wear that your bolt carrier does to your upper. Oh My God! you will want to shoot yourself.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Ive shot 500rds of wolf with no problems. And I clean my rifle after every time I shoot  so dirty ammo doesnt really bother me.  And the other day I shot some brass that was a lot dirtier that wolf.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top