Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/25/2005 2:45:34 AM EDT
Merry Christmas all!

I just got a Sentry 5 Gun Safe for Christmas this morning, and I've came across a problem.

The holding grooves that the barrels of the rifles go into to keep it secure, is too short (in height). My 16" Bushmaster M4A3 fits juuuuuuuust right, but my 20" Colt is too tall. The Front Sight Base is in the MIDDLE of the groove for the barrel to be placed in.

So my question is... What's a decent safe, under or around $300 that full length AR's can rest comfortably?

Thanks all, and Merry Christmas.

-Covert
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:04:46 AM EDT
[#1]
It's difficult to say. I haven't seen a safe yet that held it's "rated compacity". The problem that you run into is the scope on the gun will hit the trigger guard behind it. This makes for less rows than advertised. You can mix and match scoped rifles with shotguns and .22's, put you'll still have grief, especially with AR type guns. The best advice I can give anyone when buying a safe is to buy the biggest you can possibly afford, then go at least 2 sizes BIGGER!  billt.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:07:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Sentry 14 gun safes can sometimes be found for around 300 dollars.

I'm set to get a 2nd one soon, gonna drill through the 2 and bolt them together.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:10:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's difficult to say. I haven't seen a safe yet that held it's "rated compacity". The problem that you run into is the scope on the gun will hit the trigger guard behind it. This makes for less rows than advertised. You can mix and match scoped rifles with shotguns and .22's, put you'll still have grief, especially with AR type guns. The best advice I can give anyone when buying a safe is to buy the biggest you can possibly afford, then go at least 2 sizes BIGGER!  billt.

lol good call, but I only work part time and I have about $50 bucks to my name, and next week I'm trading in my 20" Colt for a 20" A3 Bushmaster. I've spent everything I have on my firearms, I really don't have adequate means of storing them. The safe was a Christmas gift (a very generous one at that!) and I was just hoping there was some simple solution or something like that.

Oh well, I'll just have to buy more AR's and put a bigger gun safe on my Christmas list for next year!

Thanks guys.

-Covert
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:07:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Two things you can do, possibly.

Is the "rack" made of a metal plate and plastic inserts?

Unscrew the "rack" plate, and flip it upside down. Install the plastic inserts and wedge something behind them to keep them from falling off. That will change the height that the rifle contacts the rack system.

Or...

Place a couple two by fours and a square of plywood in the bottom of the safe to lift up the rifles.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:39:06 AM EDT
[#5]
The rack should be adjustable or removeable.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The safe was a Christmas gift (a very generous one at that!) and I was just hoping there was some simple solution or something like that.

Uh, this is probably TOO simple. Could you set the butt of the rifle on a box or something?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I haven't seen a safe yet that held it's "rated compacity".

The rated capacity works fine for shotguns or iron sighted rifles.  The "realistic" capacity works more like:

AR's = 2 guns
AR's with optics = 3 guns

By the ABSOLUTE biggest safe that you can afford.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I ran into the same problem when I purchased a wooden gun cabinet.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Flip it upside down.Thats the only way I can get a few of my rifles to stand in mine.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The safe was a Christmas gift (a very generous one at that!) and I was just hoping there was some simple solution or something like that.

Uh, this is probably TOO simple. Could you set the butt of the rifle on a box or something?

+1
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#11]
well if all else fails the 5 gun safe can be a ammo locker

check wal-mart and see if they have any of their christmas safes left, if they do they allways put them on clearance after christmas. check out the 14gun sentry if they have it
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#12]
it will fit.................. take the upper of the lower and voila, problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

That's what I did with my 20". Piece of 2x4 with a slight notch chiseled out of it so the stock rests in it. Before I did that I just angled it it enough so it balanced in the corner of the safe.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top