Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/24/2005 7:36:07 PM EDT
Ok ok... Yeah... I know... This horse was beaten to death years ago.

But lets have it: Which rifle [in your opinion] is the most like a mil-spec M16 as legally possible, out of the box? And which rifle is most like the mil-spec M4 as legally possible, out of the box?

[note that "most like" could be read as "the one that is the least difficult to turn into legal-limit-mil-spec"].

This isn't a Bash-Bushmaster/Slam-Colt thread. Just state your opinions and any facts you have to back it. Anyone who bashes/insults an AR-15 brand in this thread has to sell one of his/her AR-15s to me for $5 [by posting in this thread, you consent to this agreement].
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Registered Receiver.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Registered Receiver.

But does that really count as "out of the box"?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it is time to look past mil-spec. I now think of it as a limitation rather than a bonus...

Anywho, the closest to mil-spec out of the box is probably with the manufacturer who has played the military manufacturing game before... Colt. I say that only because of the great quailty control that Colt utilizes during their production. Colt also uses forged buffer tubes in the "proper" mil spec diameter.  You will also find that they MP test barrels, shot peen and MP test bolts, and a bunch of other details like that.

All this is comming from someone who doesn't own a colt product. In fact, I intent to purchase my first colt product soon... a Colt Bolt!

Anyway, I think there are rifle configurations that surpass Colts offerings... they just dont have the same lvl of QC.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Registered Receiver.

Not really..........
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#6]
CMMG got close to Mil-Spec out-of-the-box models.

LMT and Stag Arms Limited Edition with permanently attached Phantom FS are also close but not like CMMG which could be the closest to Mil-Spec in my opinion.

CMMG lowers are RDIAS compatible.

CMMG website link
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#7]

the most like a mil-spec M16 as legally possible

I know, I know!

Since there are legal M16's(or at least f/a conversions), I figured a RR would be pretty close...
Just stick it in a box and take it out again.

just goofin'
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#8]
LMT upper with other junk?  Beats me what lower.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top