Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/22/2005 8:00:41 PM EDT
You can pay the price for your dogs actions.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20051223/D8ELL7B02.html

By MATTHEW BARAKAT

(AP) Doris Phelps, left, a daughter of the late Dorothy Sullivan, embraces her brother, Jim Sullivan,...
Full Image

SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. (AP) - A dog owner was convicted of involuntary manslaughter Thursday for allowing her pit bulls to run loose and kill an 82-year-old woman.

Deanna Large, 37, was found guilty in the death of Dorothy Sullivan, who was attacked March 8 by three pit bulls while she took her shih tzu for a walk.

The jury recommended Large serve three years in prison. The judge has the option to reduce the sentence, but cannot increase it when Large is sentenced Feb. 24.

Large was also found guilty of two misdemeanor charges of allowing her dogs to run loose. She could have gotten up to 10 years in prison.

Large's attorney contended that prosecutors never proved her ownership of the pit bulls that attacked Sullivan, and that Large had no knowledge that her dogs were dangerous.

In arguing for a lighter sentence, lawyer Eugene Frost said: "The lesson is learned. She won't own pit bulls again. Deanna Large feels incredibly bad about this."

Prosecutor William Neely asked for the maximum, citing the gruesome nature of the death. Jurors earlier saw autopsy photos showing pieces of Sullivan's scalp torn away and chunks torn from her arm and thigh.

During the trial, witnesses testified that Large's pit bulls menaced the neighborhood. Animal control officers had taken two of the dogs away in 2004 after they were accused of killing a kitten.

At one point, Large had 13 pit bulls living in her doublewide trailer, a detective testified.

They even killed a kitten!!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:01:25 PM EDT
This has something to do with AR's?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:02:03 PM EDT
Yes, the cure for pitbulls is an AR.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:03:10 PM EDT
How long until they fall out of "style" and something else takes thier place.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:13:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FRAGBAIT:

Get with the program Noobie, and drop the attitude!

Tack
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:17:14 PM EDT
Who gives a shit, if I had the money I'd buy two pits just outta spite and I don't even like them!!

That's exactly what we need is more fucking laws and regulations......

Everybody loves their precious lab.......but oh no the pit bull is an evil, evil animal good for nothing except the murder of innocents....

The logic behind the crusade against pit bulls is the same logic used by gun control advocates and have the same allies.

I personally don't like pit bulls, but when you start blaming other people for the actions of damn dog then the line needs to be drawn somewhere. Why can't something be an accident? Why is it always someone elses fault? Take the friggin' dogs and shoot them, they commited the crime. That would be like arresting someone for a crime that a family member committed because, "they knew he/she was violent and should not be left un-attended"

BAN ALL DOGS!! IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:17:42 PM EDT
French Dog Bordot I think (nasty giant dogs), Pit Masters (Pit with Bull Mastif),
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:19:07 PM EDT

+1 Fucking junkyard dogs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:22:39 PM EDT
I don't think it's easy to say it's a bad thing that she was sued over it and lost... but I do think it's easy to say she should have kept better control of her dogs.

I have no experience, but I still think even a Pit Bull could be trained to be nice, just as a soldier who's well capable of killing can be a nice guy. Who knows when either might snap. It happens... though, Pit Bulls still scare the piss out of me.

BTW: This should be in the GD(umbass)
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:23:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tack:

Get with the program Noobie, and drop the attitude!

Tack

Gee, Thanks for the advice! Attitude? Oh you mean like a patronising statements and being the Daddy figure based on how long you have been here using the boards but not joining and supporting it? Sure thing, I'll get right on it.

The point is not the dogs but idiot owners.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:25:49 PM EDT
Around here a lot of people have pitbulls. Problem with pits is that they are so inbred with so few breeders out there. A friend of mine owns at least four that I know of, they are good dogs, but can be a bit scary because while other dogs are easily backed down if you yell at them if they run at you, pits just keep coming.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:34:26 PM EDT
Pit bulls are inherrently violent dogs. It takes a good owner to own a pitbull that is not dangerous. I've met many bad and good owners and the difference is clear in the disposition of their dogs. Most other breeds are not inherrently violent/dangerous, which is why you don't hear as much about other breeds in these types of cases.

Pitbulls are banned in the city I live in for this very reason. Most owners don't know how to properly raise on so that it has a good disposition. With other breeds, it doesn't take as much work b/c those other breeds don't have inherrantly violent/dangerous personality characteristics.

I've know a few nice pitbulls. Only a few. And even those, the owners are smart enough to never leave them completely unsupervised around strangers b/c of their propensity for unpredictable violent behavior.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:37:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:29:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:41:52 PM EDT
IBTL!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:46:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By niceguymr:
Pit bulls are inherrently violent dogs. It takes a good owner to own a pitbull that is not dangerous. I've met many bad and good owners and the difference is clear in the disposition of their dogs. Most other breeds are not inherrently violent/dangerous, which is why you don't hear as much about other breeds in these types of cases.

Pitbulls are banned in the city I live in for this very reason. Most owners don't know how to properly raise on so that it has a good disposition. With other breeds, it doesn't take as much work b/c those other breeds don't have inherrantly violent/dangerous personality characteristics.

I've know a few nice pitbulls. Only a few. And even those, the owners are smart enough to never leave them completely unsupervised around strangers b/c of their propensity for unpredictable violent behavior.

IMHO, you are spot on. I have dealt with many Pit bulls and their owners over the years. Seem every hood rat Mexican I have come across either owned one or wanted one as some kind of macho thing. Something in the Pit Bulls firmware in their brain just is not right even if raised in a so call "good" enviroment. Pit bulls are always challenging their owners "Alpha Male" status and if given a sign of weakness, the Pit Bulls will take advantage of this. Not always a blood bath type situation waiting to happen but not much farther from it if given the right provacation. Rotts are almost as bad also.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:06:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 11:14:27 PM EDT by azhammer]

Originally Posted By niceguymr:

JUST PURE BULL SHIT! You believe the media cause thats all you see. Pure and simple these dogs are some of the most lovable and dedicated creatures I know of. Of coarse it is purely up to the owner to bring them up right just as it is with any animal.

There are more cases of dog related bites and injuries annually (by far) attributed to poodles than any other dog; next is the lab and then the spaniels then rotts dobies and german sheapards. fact is all dogs are dogs....pitbulls are however of a working class breed and are typically very strong and for some reason many of there owners are idiots, and own them with bad intentions of aggressivness towards humans or simply abuse them!

Lastly these dogs are very smart and learn what you teach them (fast and well). My two that I have litterally understand english they do what I say under all circumstances and have no sort of agressive agenda. They rarely bark.......but thats just how I taught themhe
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:27:15 PM EDT
Pits are just as evil as black rifles.
both should be banned and destroyed!!!

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:24:36 AM EDT
Yeah, you gotta love those people that talk bad about pitbulls. If you have ever had the pleasure of living with one (I have two) you would know how great they are. As far as pits being "evil" thats BS. According to the American Canine Temperament Testing Association, 95 percent of the Pit Bulls that took its temperament test passed, compared to a 77 percent passing rate for all breeds on average. Pit Bulls had a passing rate that was the fourth highest of the 122 breeds tested. I believe they came in right behind golden retrievers. In fact, Cocker Spaniels, German Shepherds, Chow Chows and Chihuahuas have more reported bites than Pit Bulls. Thats Fact not media BS. Half the time the news reports about pits biting someone, it wasn't even a pit. Thats just what sells.
I live in Hawaii, and almost everyone has a pit.
B
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:27:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By USMCSKI:
Pits are just as evil as black rifles.
both should be banned and destroyed!!!

www.hunt101.com/img/357300.jpg

www.hunt101.com/img/357303.jpg

that's one good looking pit!

oh, and ibtl
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:58:05 AM EDT
Pit808, How was the dogs selected for the testing? Not calling BS, but seems to me that any owner who cares enough to go for that kind of testing would care enough to raise their dog right. Meanwhile its the degenerates that allow their dogs to be degenerates that cause all the bad publicity. A while back I was looking into getting me a Rottie. I did my research and learned these dogs have to be constantly socialized to many different enviorments, people, situations to be a peaceful dog. If a rottie never sees a black man until its a few years old, more than likely the Rottie is going to be acting funny and very distrustful around a black man. Or someone with a beard, screaming kids, whatever. I made the decision between me and the wife's work schedule, we probably wouldn't be responsible owners and got a different breed. I hate the people that thinks its got to be a mean dog to protect the owner and his house.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:05:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:07:11 AM EDT
IBTL...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:16:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2005 4:16:21 AM EDT by new-arguy]
lock and a warning to the guy who posted it
Top Top