Originally Posted By rtech:
Air farce

Whats thats supposed to mean?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:46:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By retrainthechimp:

Air farce

Former Army here. US Air Farce. It's an intra-service rivalry type thing.

If you've served, you understand. If you haven't, don't worry about it. You probably won't understand.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:52:01 PM EDT
when i was in the a.f. in the mid 70's we were issued the gau. some of the guys i work with now that were in, in the mid 80's never heard that term.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:03:10 PM EDT
i am in, i just dont like people who havent served at all talking shit
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:31:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By retrainthechimp:

Air farce

Former Army here. US Air Farce. It's an intra-service rivalry type thing.

If you've served, you understand. If you haven't, don't worry about it. You probably won't understand.

same here, we call 'em the Chair Force though. its all in good fun of course.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:36:51 PM EDT
Air Farce is my favorite, with Flying Circus a close second.

I had 5 years active Army, flame away.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:11:55 PM EDT
If you went in to the army , that means you were not smart enough for the A.F. The A.F. is phasing out the GAU/GUU's for the M-4. Lackland has already done the switch. A GAU/GUU is just a A-1 upper with a M-4 bbl, or a carbine bbl. They have all typs of combo's. I'm in the Air Farce so flame away.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:10:16 AM EDT

sorry, don't have any close up pics of the ones we used in the USAF SP.

Although the lower receivers said GAU-5/A or GAU-5/A/A, our armory and CATM guys built them into a dozen different configurations. various barrel lengths/flash hiders, with/without forward assist, etc.

Some were very old lowers, without mag release guard, and many had most of the finish worn off. Tried a really short barreled one during night fire quals, couldn't see squat after the first couple of 2ft fireballs out the barrel.

I tried out several until I found one that was a tack driver, some were so worn out they were useless for range work. We shot them frequently, about every two months with live ammo, every two weeks with blank ammo.

dropped one out of a tree, about 40ft. next time at the range, it still held zero. I was impressed, a tough little gun. Very handy if you're constantly getting in/out of a vehicle a dozen times a shift. Light enough to fire it like a pistol. Short enough I could sling it behind my back and few people knew I was carrying it until I unslung it or turned around. Nice when not wanting to appear menacing at a domestic or similar situation.

It got this 2LT the required respect when confronting wing kings that felt they were above the UCMJ, or when I laid it on the conference table during Wing BattleStaff meetings where everyone else was LTC or higher.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:23:49 AM EDT
here is an earlier thread that has some gun pron of later GAUs and GUUs:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=255237
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:56:25 AM EDT

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:23:09 AM EDT
Great pics!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:43:00 AM EDT
My sources lead me to believe the AF is NOT planning to phase out the GAUs in favor of the M4. They are fielding lots of new M4s, but he GAU fires full auto & apparently still has it's "place".

I think it's a waste to have an ultra short barrel, then have to have an extra long comp to help cut the flash and drop the dbs to an acceptable leve. Longer barrel of the M4 does that for you. Looks cool though. Plus they don't have a rail.

I'd rather they drop the GAUs and replace with M4A1.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:57:15 AM EDT
This is the first time since leaving the AF in 79 that I saw the designation GAU-5A. I thought I must of dreamed it up. As a doghandler I carried a GAU with a very short barrel. I think the barrel was only 9" with a 5" flash surpressor. Very handy when working a dog, much better the .38 Special SW mod 15 we carried stateside.Even with the short barrel it was very easy to hit with. We had to qualify with our dogs on leash. It could be fired one handed like a pistol in a pinch. I wonder how close I could come to recreating the GAU keeping it legal. They were great fun to shoot. And thanks for the pictures.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:18:53 AM EDT
air force

it's almost like being in the military ...

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:42:08 AM EDT
They belonged to our puppy pushers at Luke. I never saw one carried by a K-9, but our ramp area supervisor, post Sierra 1 could carry it, and the leader of our 4 man mobile fire team could carry.

I carried one on a few occasions when I had those posts. If I remember correctly, the GAU-5 is a shortened 16 or XM177, the 5A has an A1 forward assist.

There is another 5AA or A1, something like that, with an A2 upper and sometimes an M4 profile barrel with a 16 lower.

All had the 4 pos buttstock. Nice, light, handy little rifle. Beat the hell out of an A2 when working from a vehicle.

Building a clone of a GAU-5 is the same as building an XM177.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:18:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:24:27 AM EDT
All kidding aside, and off topic, the Para-Rescue unit, the PJs, are as squared away as any tier one unit out there. Their training is first class, and I would definately trust my life to these guys.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:24:46 AM EDT
Hmmm. This GAU thing is interesting.

How about a GAU thread with all variations, designations and photos of each?

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:32:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lt557:

total silence's website.

history on the car and at the home page there is a little deal in which you select the parts and then click configure an it will show you a pic of what you have created.

really cool site and great people.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:36:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hotgun:
My sources lead me to believe the AF is NOT planning to phase out the GAUs in favor of the M4. They are fielding lots of new M4s, but he GAU fires full auto & apparently still has it's "place".

I think it's a waste to have an ultra short barrel, then have to have an extra long comp to help cut the flash and drop the dbs to an acceptable leve. Longer barrel of the M4 does that for you. Looks cool though. Plus they don't have a rail.

Hotgun

The thing with the extra long muzzle device is that it reduces flash and noise enough that the weapon (among other things) can be fired in the dark without blinding the shooter. That's kind of important.

Of course the AF could go with the M4A1, which has a Safe/Semi/Auto FCG...

On the topic of Air Force units, giving the PJs a plug is great, but let's not forget Combat Controllers. Want an airfield to land your troops on? Want to secure a DZ? Want to hit a particular spot but don't have its coordinates? CCs do that. And damn well too.

By the way, AF, 23+ years. I also helped train PJs, CCs, EODs etc. for a couple of years at Lackland.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:52:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:

total silence's website.

history on the car and at the home page there is a little deal in which you select the parts and then click configure an it will show you a pic of what you have created.

really cool site and great people.

Good site, thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:11:35 PM EDT
Here's my repro GAU-5A/A.

Dan

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:52:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hotgun:

Hotgun

I guess my sources are wrong seeing how a couple of the CATM guys that work here at LAFB told me this and they are the ones that teach the SF at tech school. They have 6 GUU-5P's in stock but only isssue them out to us at BMT because we run blanks thru them and they are not for real world use.(they are beat to hell) They also said that one day they will be seeing the M4A1, but that will be in a couple of years(like 10or 15 the way the AF gets small arms.) If they need full auto they do have the 249 and 240.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:56:57 PM EDT
Dan-

RR or Colt Sear Block lower?

Nice either way, but awesome if the RR.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:18:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dan0341:

Dan

tinypic.com/hs9xrp.jpg

Now that is a great pic.
Can we get a pic of the other side of the lower, or maybe the Rollmarks....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:17:42 PM EDT
It is a Group Industries M16 registered receiver made of stainless steel. Here's a closer pic of it.

Dan

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:30:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2005 7:32:49 PM EDT by lowdrag82]
Wow! Stainless steel Very nice repro. As AF guy myself, I have never even seen one. Then again, as an aircraft maintainer they wouldn't trust us with guns.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:17:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dan0341:

Dan

tinypic.com/hs9xrp.jpg

this is one beautiful xm!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:41:47 AM EDT
Did'nt I see a pic of a hottie AF chick in the same pose and a like weapon posted here sometime back?

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:22:33 AM EDT

Did'nt I see a pic of a hottie AF chick in the same pose and a like weapon posted here sometime back?

www.gun-world.net/old/USA/M16/CAR/GAU-5Aa.jpg

Sort of. Different gun though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:50:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 6:57:35 AM EDT by jmart]

Photo

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:29:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jmart:

Photo

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:08:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:

Originally Posted By jmart:

Photo

photos.templarfirearms.com/albums/userpics/10001/usaf_secu.jpg

Thanx, could not get the photo to appear.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:22:28 PM EDT
Yea, that was it.

Now what model does she shave have?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:32:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:46:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:47:24 PM EDT
My EOD friend came from Hickham Hawaii about a year ago. He said the EOD flight there is still using the GAU-5. He mentioned it was alot easier to carry with a bomb suit on.

Also the Chair Force is now Army Air Corps again. My ex-supervisor raided Fallujah with the Marines carrying an AK74. It was giving to him sine he didn't have a rifle when he got there. Later on he got a M-16A2 issued to him. He later performed security with the Marines for the voting there. I was going to serve convoy duty with the Army just north of Baghdad but they didn't send me because of my neck injury. I still got the training. It has become alot better than they were doing at the beginning of the war which was practially nothing.

Alot of people don't realize that the past two years we have been augmenting the Army instead of surfing the internet, checking our email, and bitchin about the cold coffee
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:47:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2005 11:47:54 PM EDT by eklikwhoa]

Originally Posted By XM-15:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/xm15a2/gauLarge.jpg

is that your rifle?

what is the total bbl. length and how short was it cut down to get there?

sweet lookin rifle!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:23:19 AM EDT

is that your rifle?

sweet lookin rifle!

No way. I took the pic at the Rock Island Arsenal Small Arms Museum.

I believe the barrel is 11.5" .

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:27:27 AM EDT

is that your rifle?

sweet lookin rifle!

No way. I took the pic at the Rock Island Arsenal Small Arms Museum.

I believe the barrel is 11.5" .

img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/xm15a2/cars1.jpg

now that pic looks like you snuck into uxb's house
Top Top