Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/20/2005 12:53:23 PM EDT
Anyone ever seen or heard of an AR breaking from being dropped?

How high can someone drop one from without fear of breaking the aluminum receiver(s)?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:57:47 PM EDT
There's a topic where some guy was throwing his as high as he could. He ended up breaking the buffer tube and his pistol grip, but that was it IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:09:01 PM EDT
As seen above I think you would end up breaking the plastic parts before you actually cracked the receivers. That aluminum is pretty thick and a good blend due to the stress it already undertakes as a weapon designed to fire fully automatic. I could see the buffer tube being snapped though since it is only threaded. I'm sure there is a height where it will break but I bet it is high. Not to mention it would depend on what kind of surface you're dropping it on.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:40:23 PM EDT
When you say he broke the buffer, do you mean the tube? You mean the tube broke before the part of the receiver it screws into did?

Obviously its gonna fall barrel first...

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:04:55 PM EDT
I broke the stock off an A1 in basic training...during bayonet training.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:23:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mfingar:

HOOAH, or OORAH!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:55:19 AM EDT
These things must be pretty durable.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:06:16 AM EDT
As mentioned elsewhere, I have seen one of the carbon ones crack from abuse, but they are just toys anyway. I have seen AR/M16 fall off of moving vehicles, out of rotary wings and from at least twenty feet to a steel deck -- I can count all of the ones that broke beyond being usable on one hand.

Plastic breaks of course, the older handguards were not near as strong as what we have today. The knock-offs have a problem with the non-milspec receiver extension thread being pulled out and I have seen a couple of bent barrels; but all-in-all, it is a very tough platform!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:29:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By arfarf:
When you say he broke the buffer, do you mean the tube? You mean the tube broke before the part of the receiver it screws into did?

Obviously its gonna fall barrel first...

Taken from the S.P.O.T review thread found >HERE<.

As you can see, it appears to have broken the buffer tube/receiver extension right at the end of the threaded area. A new tube and grip and it would be good to go.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:00:29 PM EDT
Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:30:53 PM EDT
Thats just plain wrong!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:51:52 PM EDT
Thats just dumb. Real dumb. why not smoke rolled up money. Or use money as TP? Thats just dumb.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:00:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jjmcrowell:
Thats just plain wrong!

Originally Posted By IceHandLuke:
Thats just dumb. Real dumb. why not smoke rolled up money. Or use money as TP? Thats just dumb.

The MIAD is an expensive sacrifice for testing, but buffer tubes are cheap and plentiful. It was done for research and testing, so I don't find it to be that big of a deal. He wanted to see if the optic held up, and it did.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:25:05 PM EDT
For some people the price of an AR is pocket change. He would cringe if he saw some of the stuff people do with NFA firearms
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:44:13 PM EDT
AR15 for sale, needs new buttstock but only fired a few times.

That is just sick just thinking about that rifle being launched like that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:17:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:10:34 AM EDT

My preban bushy (AKA Quality Parts Inc) came with an Essential Arms lower, an absolute total POS.

The receiver was cast from crap aluminum alloy, and the holes were mislocated, among about a dozen other problems with the gun.

With a loaded mag in it, it slid off a cabinet and fell about five feet onto a cement floor.

Broke the receiver at the buffer tube but the tube did not break. also cracked the front attach lugs for the upper.

I suppose I should waste a few hours digging for the photos, cause some poeple here seem to think this is an impossibility.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:14:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mfingar:

lol, I did the same thing to an FN made M16A2. Got the statement of charges still around here somewhere.
Top Top