Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2005 8:48:36 AM EDT
i have a couple of surplus 20" a2 barrels and would like to do some turning on them.  i also have a heavy car that needs a diet.  it will probly turn into an m4 for my wife.   does anyone out there have any drawings on different barrel profiles?  any and all barrel prifiles would be apreciated for future reference.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#2]
So, Randall,
I did some math today!!!!  (I wanted to see just how much weight I could save by building a super-lite vs. a standard HBAR)  Assuming that the density of 4140 steel is .28lbs/cu.in., and using your drawings,  I got the following, which seem to be pretty close for the 16" barrels:

Featherweight:     1.66 lbs.
Lightweight:          1.87 lbs.
Medium:                2.37 lbs.
Heavy:                  2.71 lbs.
Bull:                       3.78 lbs.

Sound close?  These, again, use your drawings, .28lbs/cu.in., and that weight = length x (half the barrel diameter)^2 times Pi.

ETA:  Crap!  I forgot to subtract out the metal in the bore... ok, so they're all 2.7oz heavy
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top