Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 5:04:25 PM EDT
How important is it to have a chromelined barrel and chamber? Can I expect problems? Is my AR going to need more maintenence. I know the Chrome lining is for ultimate reliability, but do I REALLY need it. I'm not a cop, I'm not gonna go kick doors down, I'm not headed to Iraq with it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Most people say Chrome Lined is Definately easier to clean, but not "as" accurate.  Moly takes extra to clean but is more accurate.  The accuracy part is subjective in my opinion, but the cleaning is right on.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm more worried about reliability myself...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#3]
IF you going RRA, I would not worry about either.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I had asked this question when I ordered my RRA Entry Tactical. I decided on the chrome moly. Like you said. I am not kicking down doors. Just keep in mind that some dealers will throw in the chrome lined and some dealer will charge for it. It's pretty crazy how many options that you can make before you finally decide. Also RRA will charge a $25 change fee if you decide to change your order after you place the order, and any changes will change your delivery time.

I ended up getting the Entry Tactical (chrome moly barrel) with the tactical rail and Surefire m73 rails for $1000 delivered plus my FFL fee of $31.50. I saved $150 by ordering my rifle online vs. buying it from a local dealer, but I didn't have any one show me how to brake down the rifle and clean it.

I personally don't think that there's much of a difference especially if your not doing all of the mall ninja stuff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I jus like the ease of maintance,so id say chrome lined.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 20" RRA chrome-moly that has been great for me. It doesn't get shot much since it's my only HBAR, but it is my home defence gun. It has only failed me twice and those were in the first 40rds. I have about 1,200rds through it right now in the year I've had it together. It's accurate and reliable and to top it all off, apart from the mag full of Q3131a it has in it while at home, Wolf is all I run though it.

If RRA offered a 20" chrome-lined barrel, I would probably have gotten one of those because I don't intend to sell this and the cromed barrels wear longer.

You might want to get a chrome-lined one since you're in Oregon, Chrome-moly has a tendancy to rust if not cared for in humid environments.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Chrome-lined barrel.

All barrels are made from a chrome-moly alloy, but not all barrels are chrome-lined.  With a chrome-lined barrel your barrel will last for many thousands of rounds before wearing out(ie loosing its accuracy).  Chrome-line is many times harder than barrel steel.  My feeling is that a chrome-lined barrels will last you a life time of shooting or you go brankrupt from shooting, whchever comes first.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It won't really make it more reliable (for civilian use) but it will last longer and clean easier.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It won't really make it more reliable (for civilian use) but it will last longer and clean easier.

That about sums it up
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#10]
To me it's worth the extra $35 for the time savings you get from not having to clean it all the time. Since I switched to chrome lining I only use a bore snake when I clean and I don't clean after every range trip.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Chrome-Lined

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Go chrome or go home.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:37:03 AM EDT
[#13]
go with a Chrome-Lined barrel
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:55:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the RRA Elite CAR A4 and I bought the Chrome Lined.  Glad I did.  I don't have a problem with accuracy, but I've only shot to 100 yrds so far.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top