Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Colt seems to have figured out the 7.62 bolt, why cant DPMS?

There is a reason Colt's cost more.  MPC on every bolt, to filter out any with a defect.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I can only go by what I've experienced and my experience is that DPMS has a wider tolerance for dimensional differences in parts in general. Most of it seems to work well; but I've seen two chromed DPMS bolts with cracks at the cam pin hole and some other assorted odd stuff that I didn't care for.

I was recently given a free DPMS (stamped "D") bolt carrier group. The carrier key was not staked at all and the firing pin retaining pin was both obviously not the same one used by the military and was already bent after a few hundred rounds. Besides that, it worked fine.

I spent $150 of my own money to replace the bolt carrier group with one I trusted though. When you start skimping on parts like the firing pin retaining pin in order to save a few bucks, it doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the quality of the more critical parts.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hey if it's good enough for the Ted Nugent, must be ok..

I always notice Ted's hat..

It would be crazy to hang out with that guy...

now if they would make a few more episodes so we can see what kind of shit he is really going to get into that would ROCK !
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never had the chance to try a DPMS bolt or bolt carrier, mainly because I had a buddy who was an SF armorer square me away with several M-16 bolt carrier groups many years ago. I just ground down the bottom of the bolt carrier to AR-15 specs (legal) and no worries.
I do not own a DPMS, but have a couple friends who do, and they have reported no problems other than what seems like too much finish inside the mag well that hinders mags fitting properly until it "wears in".

John

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who will fight"
Gen. James Gavin, Commander 82nd Airborne WW2
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting thread.

I have a DPMS bolt carrier/bolt in my primary rifle.  It is a Bushy lower & barrel with a DPMS upper and bolt/carrier.  I have severl thousand rounds through it w/o a  failure of any type. I have been considering geting a Bushy Bolt/carrier for it though.  THe Bushy's are heavier and feel bettey the DPMS ones do feel a bit weak.  

Very interesting reading.  

Maybe it is time to buy a Bushy or RRA carrier......
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top