Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Pigmy,

I am tired of people saying your shouldn't use an AR Pistol for defense because you will go deaf.  I have an AR Pistol, 7.5" SBR, and a couple of 16" AR's.  The noise difference between the three is not that great.  Even though I do not advocate using the "shorties" for selfe defense I think the "going deaf" argument doesn't hold water.  If I have to use my S&W 360PD 2" 357 mag for self defense I am going to have hearing loss.  Does that mean I shouldn't use a 357 mag?  Of course not.  Deaf is deaf, you should use what ever you think will get the job done.  I would rather be alive with hearing loss.

MadDog

I've fired a .243 inside a house out  a door before, and while very loud, I didn't go deaf.  It was laughably "holy shit that was loud" loud.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Could I put a supressor on an AR pistol? That would help with the "going deaf while shooting ZOMBIES"  problem?

You could...but then you'll have a NFA weapon and will have the same paperwork problem as a SBR.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Could I put a supressor on an AR pistol? That would help with the "going deaf while shooting ZOMBIES"  problem?

You could...but then you'll have a NFA weapon and will have the same paperwork problem as a SBR.

No, you can transport suppressors across state lines with no paperwork.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn our government! I'm glad I don't live in Kalifornia, atleast here I can have "just about" anything I want (except a SBR).

Gene
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn our government! I'm glad I don't live in Kalifornia, atleast here I can have "just about" anything I want (except a SBR).

Gene

Amen to that. I have lived in LA in the past...but NEVER again!

I'm 'lucky' here too, I guess....we have NO restrictions on ownership, other than the NFA stuff. I can have SBR, Full Auto, etc.  and our CCW is 'valid' is approx 30 states.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Go for the pistol, no paperwork, and if you really want a stock, just stikc the buffer up to your shoulder. I had a 10.5" pistol for a little while, but I made a dumb move and put a YHM FF tube on it, and that sucker was heavy. Just make sure you get the total weight of the setup you plan on going with. The 10.5 bull barrel with magazine and tube was over 6 pounds, so keep that in mind. I've fired some 10.5 lightweights that were almost as easy to balance as a nose heavy large caliber revolver.

Either way, make sure you like the ergonomics of it before you purchase. I already sold the lower, and am trying to sell the upper (Shameless plug). Happy shooting or waiting depending on what you do.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Go for the pistol, no paperwork, and if you really want a stock, just stikc the buffer up to your shoulder. I had a 10.5" pistol for a little while, but I made a dumb move and put a YHM FF tube on it, and that sucker was heavy. Just make sure you get the total weight of the setup you plan on going with. The 10.5 bull barrel with magazine and tube was over 6 pounds, so keep that in mind. I've fired some 10.5 lightweights that were almost as easy to balance as a nose heavy large caliber revolver.

Either way, make sure you like the ergonomics of it before you purchase. I already sold the lower, and am trying to sell the upper (Shameless plug). Happy shooting or waiting depending on what you do.

I think when I do a Pistol, it will be a 7.5 or 8 incher, my SBR will be more the 10.5 area.

BTW, what are you looking to get out of your upper?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top