Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/15/2005 11:02:12 AM EDT
I see people selling full on .22LR uppers for around 300-400 used. Conversions howerver are roughly 140 brand new. Whats the negative of goign with just the conversion kit?

My main concern is if you fire a .22LR upper through a .223 chamber, is there damage that can occur to your barrel?

Any comments are appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:10:44 AM EDT
My dad bought a Colt Conversion, basically a magazine and bolt assembly. I think he paid $90.00 in the blister package. We have had it in his Non-Colt AR and my SP1. Haven't had a single problem. My kids love it. We just share it and use it for cheap plinkin, and teachin the little ones. Wish we had a second mag, but that is the only gripe with several hundred rounds of .22LR downrange.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:28:28 AM EDT
I think accuracy is the biggest thing. I do not own a conversion or upper yet, but am looking into them. the bore on a regular .223 barrel is slightly larger than what is optimal for the .22lr so you are not going to get the best accuracy.

Then there is the practice factor. with a conversion you are just shooting your ar cheaply, but it is still your ar, vs a new upper that won't balance the same as your usual upper.

Top Top