Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/13/2005 6:09:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2005 6:13:43 PM EDT by Blanco_Diablo]
Well...after about 4 dings on the end of the flashider, it finally happened...I got a large scratch on my rifle's finish. I was cleaning the barrel in my garage and i had the upper between my legs and the end of the reciever (where the BC/CH goes in) was resting on the first rung of the step stool I was sitting on and I moved the upper and it just lightly scraped the step stool (light enough that I didn't even notice it untill I actually looked at the upper). The scratch is about 1 3/4" long and is located 1 1/2" behind the ejection port (where the forward assist would be on an A2) and then there's a scratch on the "nipple" of the sight adjustment knob and a little ding above that. Pics are below. YES I KNOW that it's a tool and not a rifle that's supposed to look perfect but this is my rifle and I like to have it looking nice without any scratches. Looks like I'm gonna have to spend $60 to get the upper and the SP1 lower (that I'm getting in Jan. ) refinished. Grrr...

ETA: Pics

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:13:29 PM EDT
Not making fun of you but if that bothered you. You would have had a heart attack today when one my carbines was knocked off a table and onto a concrete slab at the gun club. The snake has a white eyeball now.....
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:14:20 PM EDT
refinished?!? because of a scratch?!?!? wow.
Whatever floats your boat I guess. Sounds like a waste of money to me. Just go get a $5 tube of vagisil and that'll take care of it...
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:15:05 PM EDT
Yeah it does bother me alot. I can't stand seeing people drop their guns or something. I know they're tools and all but they're very expensive tools (in most cases).
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:15:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
refinished?!? because of a scratch?!?!? wow.
Whatever floats your boat I guess. Sounds like a waste of money to me. Just go get a $5 tube of vagisil and that'll take care of it...

No there's more than this scratch. There's various spots and dings and such. But this scratch just seals it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:16:06 PM EDT
What, you don't have any Krylon around?!?

Bob
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:16:50 PM EDT
HA not in Colt Grey and not for a Colt upper...
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:21:06 PM EDT
Can't really tell from the picture but did it actually scratch through the anondizing? My 20" rubbed up against a broken tree branch when I was hog hunting one time and left a mark that looked similar to that. But it came off after soaking with hoppes and scrubbing with a nylon toothbrush.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:23:01 PM EDT
KABOOM HAZZARD!!! HAVE A GUNSMITH INSPECT!!!

<­BR>

heh, I remember when a scratch like that could have caused me to kill something.

can't go through life without getting some scars
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:23:09 PM EDT
Those Birchwood Casey black pens do a pretty good job of touching up this kind of thing.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:24:55 PM EDT
Looks good.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:28:53 PM EDT
Thats probably metal from the stool that rubed off on your upper i bet it will scrub off .
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:31:20 PM EDT
That's just customizing. You'll regret fixing it. Now your rifle has character. I'd drag it around a little. You'll get over it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:32:07 PM EDT
who cares? it's a scratch. It happens. They are tools, not works of art.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:34:04 PM EDT
It gives it character and looks a hell of a lot better than then a safe queen rifle with a bunch of wiz bang shit hangining off of it that never gets used.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:34:41 PM EDT
Sell it !

You know you got a hard on for an Mforgery anyway.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:37:51 PM EDT
God you must like being humiliated to post a post like this...

If the rifle is a shooter I wouldn't sweat the scratch.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:45:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By billy_bob:
Thats probably metal from the stool that rubed off on your upper i bet it will scrub off .

+1 try to scrub it off. Your upper is hard that stool is not.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:57:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By inkaybee:

Originally Posted By billy_bob:

+1 try to scrub it off. Your upper is hard that stool is not.

+2 Ditto
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:03:59 PM EDT
Put some breakfree on the puppy and srub it off. Most of the AR15s that look beat can be cleaned up if someone wanted to spend the time.

If it makes you feel any better, the first thing I did after I refinished one of my A1 uppers was to go dial it in, and use a bullet tip to adjust (just like intended).

You can't baby it forever......

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:05:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2005 7:13:04 PM EDT by Gimme_A_Carbine]
fucking H-mo

There needs to be a little emoticon for [hosing sand out of ones vagina].
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:06:06 PM EDT
Your recievers dont even match up all pretty dude...get over it
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:07:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
Your recievers dont even match up all pretty dude...get over it

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:09:26 PM EDT
Just think of the gunshow stories you can tell now that your rifle looks used!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:28:12 PM EDT
Buy or make some kind of device to hold your rifle while you are working on it. See the link for a real handy tool.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=355383

It can be used to hold the upper, lower, right side up, upside down, clamp the lower while the rifle is broke open for cleaning, etc. It will hold anything you want to clamp between the foam rubber pads.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:33:06 PM EDT
It's officially a Safe Whore!

I think it needs more cowbell scratches.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:36:58 PM EDT
This was a joke right?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:41:59 PM EDT
Adds character!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:45:49 PM EDT
duracoat..

I've got 4 ARs along with 30 or so rifles and a dozen or so pistols.. I can't stand any of them having a scratch. I reblued at least 10 of them becasue of scratches or redid the wood on a couple rifles.

I don't like scratches on my guns just like I don't like patches of dead grass on my lawn...
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:49:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2005 7:51:36 PM EDT by Da_Bunny]

Originally Posted By Stove_Pipe:
This was a joke right?

+1

There are some people here who only collect and play with toys. My rifles look like my tools...used.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:49:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2005 7:50:15 PM EDT by Scotter260]
At least you were the one responsible for it so you can't be mad at someone else. I'm always super careful and sometimes these things happen but if you don't like it, then by all means fix it to your liking (not that you need my permission or anyone elses for that matter.)

I once scratched the frame of my stainless Combat Commander when I was reinstalling the slide release and it rotated down on me (causing a light scratch behind the trigger. I believe it's common to see this type of scratch on 1911 frames.) You can bet I took it to local who did sandblasting to have the frame matted and the scratch done away with. Anal, you bet, but I hate screwing my stuff up. Worn edges show character but scratches, IMHO, show, or at least imply, carelessness.

FWIW,
Scott
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:04:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
Looks good.

+1

Scratches add character. Every gun will become scratc hed sooner or later... if you use it that is and it's not a safe queen. They're tools, not a rolex or silverwear.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:05:26 PM EDT
Get a black Sharpie!!! They work great!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:11:23 PM EDT
HAHA! Awesome replies here.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:13:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2005 8:15:55 PM EDT by ozzy1038]
I completely understand. I hate it when that happens.

There is NOTHING wrong with wanting to keep your guns/stuff looking
as nice as possible for as long as possible. Sure stuff like this happens eventually
but there is no reason not to take good care of it and keep it looking as nice as
possible for as long as possible. None of my guns are safe queens but I take
care of them like they were. Yeah, if the SHTF I wont care what kind of abuse
my guns take as long as they work but until then I'll care.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:13:55 PM EDT
$5 it buffs out

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:16:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Scotter260:
Worn edges show character but scratches, IMHO, show, or at least imply, carelessness.
Scott

+1, I shoot the hell out of my weapons. That said, wear is one thing, dings, dents and scratches are another. I sympathize with you Blanco, I'd be pissed to. There were some good suggestions in this thread though, in and around the "Ma rifles are as beat up as ma tools, 'cause ah use 'em" posts.

BTW, nice A1 (even with the scratch), building one is next on my hit parade. Where did you get the upper receiver?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:36:40 PM EDT
Have I wandered into the airsoft forum again?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:50:15 PM EDT
Are you going to refinish it every time it gets a scratch?

Take the $60, buy some lumber, and build a bench to clean your guns on.

Seydou
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:52:30 PM EDT
hell I got pissed off when my service rifle got knicked up...

But yea Birchwood Casey Alumablack works pretty well.

Just out of curiostiy do y'all drive dented and scratched up cars too?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:08:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Snaps:

Not to hijack, but I don't. My 2000 Impala LS looks like the day it left the factory save for one or two nicks from rocks getting kicked up while driving.

That thing gets parked in the back of every parking lot it's ever been in, gets two coats of wax per year, and is washed with a soft brush at least once a week, sometimes more if it gets too salty up here due to weather conditions. Engine compartment degreased and cleaned once per year. Granted it's only a Chevy but it's mine dangit and pride of ownership is a powerful motivation.

Now our 2003 Hyundai isn't treated quite as well but it's still bathed regularly and also waxed twice per year. Since it is only a Hyundai, it gets to park close.

Since you asked,
Scott
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:30:10 PM EDT

No, but my wife does.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:32:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kissfan:

No, but my wife does.

da da CHING...
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:36:00 PM EDT

Do I crawl on my stomach with my car? Do I use it through some tough training?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:27:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 5:28:59 AM EDT by m24shooter]

Originally Posted By Scotter260:
Worn edges show character but scratches, IMHO, show, or at least imply, carelessness.

I'm not going to say that somebody posting that a cratch on their AR is some kind of traumatic event, but at the same time I think it's uninformed to say that scratches imply carlessness.

Could it be that some people use their rifles for more than just punching paper?

Could it be that some people do more with their rifle than moving them from the safe to the line in padded cases?

Could it be that some people actually carry a rifle in a situtaion where the rifle is protecting you as opposed to you protecting the rifle?

Some people use their rifles as tools. They pick up scratches and dents and dings. But I would say that I would trust my rifle with all of its scratches a hell of a lot more than some safe queen with no scratches because it's never been used. The scratches got there because it has been used and tested. And since it still worked I still carry it. I know what my AR will do and what it will stand up to.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:34:58 AM EDT
Hey, just use your eye liner pencil to touch it up....

I stole that one from Bigbore.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:40:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:44:35 AM EDT
An AR is like a vagina, it's only a virgin until it is used.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:52:41 AM EDT
You can't compare an AR to a freakin' car, for crying out loud. The car is SUPPOSED to look nice, it is to some extent a status symbol, and you are very likely to sell it at a later date. Furthermore, damage to the finish of the car creates a very real chance of nasty corrosion.

The AR is a tool, and dings and scratches here and there will not affect function nor will they lead to runaway corrosion. If you own your AR as a toy, or if it's some sort of collector's item, I can understand wanting to keep it in good shape, but if that was the case why the hell would you shoot it?

I've never had a rifle more than a month or two without getting dings and scratches -- because I actually use the things, not becasue I'm careless. When you get enough of them they all sort of average out. It's just the first couple that are fugly.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:55:30 AM EDT
That looks like it will rub clean with some oil. same thing happened to me and the mark came off.

but on a serious note: your a pansy!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:01:54 AM EDT

Yup, door dings & rock chips. Just the cost of going about our daily business. We touch up what we can and don't worry about the rest. The car is just another tool. When I see people driving perfect cars and playing with spotless toys, it tells me to avaid them. They are waiting for the chance to unload on somebody when the cold, cruel world bumps into them. They are usually the first in line for the chance to abuse MY stuff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top