Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, I gues I need some re-edumacation.

I was under the impression that a Brown Mount was the A2 upper witht he carry handle milled away, leaving the A2 sight asembly intact. I Weaver/Picatinny is milled in its place. I guess I am all screwed up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a picture of a Rock River Arms UTE 2 upper reciever (no mount, the Brown mount has screws holding it to the reciever).  The UTE 2 receiver is a mix between a A2 and A3 receiver.

There were many reports of the Brown mounts not holding up well over time (ie. working loose and causing the optic's zero to shift, and other problems).

I know a few WELL KNOWN gunsmiths who won't install the Brown mounts due to problems that they've had with this set up in the past.

Back in the mid-90's the Brown mount was an option because flat top upper receivers were just coming onto the market, and thus hard to come by.

By the time you paid for the mount + shipping to you, then sent the mount and receiver to a gunsmith and paid for shipping to the gunsmith and back to you + the labor, you would be better off getting a flat top receiver.  Just my 2 pesos

Take care and stay safe

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, I am in the groove now. I was actually looking at the UTE uppers a few minutes ago, may be the way I go when I decide to bite the bullet. I like the idea of the irons being integral, and not rail mounted.

The stripped upper should be all I need, and use the guts from my Armalite, correct?  Please forgive, as I am quite new at this thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That's a Larue Tactical mount.

He's not refering to the Aimpoint mount.  The Mark Brown Custom mount is a mount they used back in the mid-90's.  A gunsmith would cut the carry handle forward of the A2 rear sight (leaving the rear sight in place).  Then install a piece of rail (same location that the rail on the UTE 2 receiver is located) to the upper receiver.  Looks like this:

The rail is $85 + gunsmithing charge you said was around $150.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The stripped upper should be all I need, and use the guts from my Armalite, correct?  Please forgive, as I am quite new at this thing.

You can get the UTE 2 receiver stripped for $150 or assembled for $210.  If you get the assembled version all you have to do is put your barrel on the receiver and your charging handle and bolt carrier in it and you are ready to go.

The "stripped" version doesn't come with any of the sight parts, forward assist parts, dust cover, etc.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I see. It would seem to be more cost effective to swap the entire upper reciever. I coud possibly sell my Armalite Upper to recoup a small amount of cost. This is all hypothetical, as I am happy with the A2 for now, but I see that I might want an Aimpoint at some point.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I see a lot of guys with those newer "krink" flash suppressors. I've always wondered if they work just as good as the A2 or Vortex suppressors. They seem like they'd only guide the fireball outward into a more straight line, not really disperse it like more common flash hiders.

- rem
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's mine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#11]
7KOPPER, shame on you for spending our tax dollars like that!

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Oh please don't start that again, someone here will pick up on it and we will have to listen to more crying....
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This is my duty SBR. It is heavy but I love it. I also have a plain jane SBR that I also carry.
img442.imageshack.us/img442/1806/shorty12ep.jpg
img442.imageshack.us/img442/2637/shorty24pp.jpg

One of the finest looking SBR's I've seen in awhile. Is that a POF lower receiver?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh please don't start that again, someone here will pick up on it and we will have to listen to more crying....

OK, OK. And for the record, Kopper paid for that out of his wallet.

It's a very nice rifle, BTW.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My patrol carbine is pretty plain, but it seems to work so far.  However, I'm always looking for something that'll make the job easier.  I've just got a 10.25" SBR'd Bushmaster with M500A and a Noveske KX3 flash suppressor.

i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/MCSO/IMGP1328.jpg
i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/MCSO/IMGP1330.jpg

This is my first time posting a photo so if I screw it up please let me know.

Very cool setup!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, OK. And for the record, Kopper paid for that out of his wallet.

It's a very nice rifle, BTW.

It's funny that this is brought up again (I know Combatjack is joking).  I was looking for this thread the other day, "best looking AR, not yours"  but I couldn't find it after an archive search.  Haven't seen a single post from the tard that was making a big deal of this since that thread.  Fot those who are curious here is a video of thetard poster
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Apologies in advance to Stickman for the lame pic, but it's all I got right now.

Colt LE6920
Trijicon TA-11F
Surefire M-500A
SpecterGear CQB 3 pt. sling

Since this pic was taken, I've added a MagPul Miad and Surefire Blue Filter to the M-500
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top