Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/7/2005 7:03:04 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me about what sort of configurations the AR-15 can be used in for Civilian Marksmanship Program matches such as service rifle matches? I gather that for the service rfile matches a 2-stage NM trigger or a match grade barrel are off limits. I really like the feel of the NM trigger but on the other hand I'd like to maybe do some CMP matches. I guess I could buy both types of trigger groups and swap out as needed (?). Any comments?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
CMP/NRA highpower Service Rifles have to look like an issue M16.  No alteration may change the external configuration of the rifle.  Internal modifications  may be made to improve functioning and accuracy.  There are some rack matches where you are issued a rack grade M16A2, are given some time to zero, and then you shoot a match.

The rifle ust be an M16A2 or A4 rifle or a commercial rifle of the same type and caliber.  Must be chambered for 5.56.  No automatic fire.  Must have a fully operational gas system.  Must have standard 20 or 30 round magazines, can use a single load follower.  

The rear sight aperture can't have a hood longer than 0.70" and can have a corrective lens in the rear sight hood.  Rear sight ele/wind can be modified for finer adjustments.  Front sight may be fixed or lockable.  Rear sight may be pinned.   Front sight dimensions may vary to your liking.

The regular Service Rifle has a 20" match grade barrel either SS or ChromMoly(non-chromed).  It can have a flash suppressor and bayo lugor not.      

Upper receivers can't be changed during the match.  Float tube is used and hides under the handguards with the front sling swivel in the 6 o'clock position near the original position.  M16A1 or A2 Buttstocks can be used.

Removeable carry handles and flattop upper are allowed.  Probably won't have enough elevation for 600 yds unless you have it worked over.

Match trigger, no less than 4.5 lbs pull wt.  

No restrictions on ammunition.

No sling cuffs, just a regular service rifle sling i.e. M1907 or nylon sling

NRA highpower SR and CMP are very alike.  Can shoot only in 3 CMP matches plus the one at Perry.  No sighters in CMP.  Best way to practice for CMP is to shoot NRA.

The CMP and NRA rulebooks are invaluable.  Take whatever you have to the local club.  Shoot, have fun, listen, and learn.  These guys are a wealth of knowledge and can point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
cycobushmaster, latest word I have is that you cannot use a single load follower.  There is a thread on nationalmatch.us forums about this.  I really can't see what difference it makes as you can't see it from the outside, just like the barrel contour.  But, the powers that be say that the magazine must be fully functional.  Go figure!

Cheers,

Phil
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you talking about the Bob Sled (loading block) or just the regular follower?  If it's the follower, than I need a new rule book.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
cycobushmaster, latest word I have is that you cannot use a single load follower.  There is a thread on nationalmatch.us forums about this.  I really can't see what difference it makes as you can't see it from the outside, just like the barrel contour.  But, the powers that be say that the magazine must be fully functional.  Go figure!

Cheers,

Phil

Huh?  I guess I need a new book too.  Single load mags and followers have been SR legal as long as I remember.  Hell, even LRP mags for Sierra 80s are SR legal, and they require a modification that prevents the use of standard mags.  

BTW to clarify Cyco's post, two-stage triggers are perfectly acceptable as long as they have a total weight >= 4.5 pounds.

For every trick you can get away with on an upper, check out White Oak Precision.  The uppers on that page have everything except weights.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:00:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks cycobushmaster and everyone. Obviously I need to get myself a rule book.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf

CMP rules
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Maybe someone can post this. Single round followers are allowed.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b114/highpower223/8f5b3f2e.jpg
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is where this started......... At Camp Perry this year one of the line judges ruled that a single follower was not allowed because, the rules state that the magazine must be fully functional.  He was over-ruled and the single round followers were allowed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Are COLLAPSABLE STOCKS allowed in SERVICE RIFLE?

I have a Sporter Target 20" that is all legal but I like my SOPMOD stock. Do I have to swap back to the A2 for matches?

Rmpl
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I have a Sporter Target 20" that is all legal but I like my SOPMOD stock. Do I have to swap back to the A2 for matches?

Rmpl

I do not believe so.  Flat top receivers are now permitted but butt stock should be still A1/A2.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Cheers,

Phil

The use of a SLED (a delrin block shaped like a mag but used for single loading) is allowed for M16/AR15 SERVICE RIFLES by CMP rule 6.2.3(2) and by NRA rule 3.1.2.

The question arose when dealing with AR15-based match rifles (heavily modified, non-GI looking rifles) because NRA rule 3.3 states: NRA Match Rifle-A center fire rifle with metallic sights and a magazine capable of holding not less than 5 rounds.

Some "overzealous" NRA match official at the 2005 National HP Rifle Championship took it upon himself to decide on the spot that "magazines" needed to actually be able to fit cartridges internally, even if used for single round loading.

The NRA Highpower Rifle committee has since overruled him.

Tempest in a teapot, as it were.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf

CMP rules

Made hot.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top