Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/6/2005 1:16:14 PM EDT
anybody use a heavy barrel on their carbine... thinkin about getting one...is it too much weight to be luggin around? and does really do much for the guns performance?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Does nothing for performance in a semi auto chrome lined application.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Weight dif is neglible.  No biggie either way.  I have more to worry about than 0.25lb in barrel weight.  That means I need to keep a few extra dingle-balls off the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#3]
been running mine for over 12 years, never really thought much about it. I like um, others don't try both and pick what you Like.
I like them for the better heat handling ability in rapid fire strings.(My biggest reason based on personnel experience)
I like the fact the their stiffer and give you a little bit better Barrel Harmonics/accuracy
I like how they swing with out overshooting the target on fast Multible tgt scenarios(smoother and not as jerky)
I think the little bit of weight is not as big  a deal as others seem to find them to be. I think were talkin 7-10 oz difference (I'm sure someone will correct me with the corect weight... again, try both and make up your mine.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's too much weight you need to get in the gym.  I mean, come on, an AR carbine is pretty damn light.  Oh wait, I guess it does make a difference when mall ninjas are hangin' everything they can afford off the friggin thing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
In all honesty, its all a matter of what you plan to do with it.  If you shoot once in awhile, and your range makes you sit at a bench, it really doesn't matter.

If you train, go to classes, or use it in real life, it becomes a different story.  Try them both, and see what works best for you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I will put it to you this way I bought a Colt Sporter II light weight carbine new around 86 it has the 16" soda straw barrel.  Around 95 I bought a Colt Match target completion H BAR II with a 16" barrel. I have not fired a round out of the old AR since. I could not believe how much more accurate the 16" H BAR is from the same manufacture. More accurate guns are much more fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
The majority of the weight difference is at the reciever/under HG.  I would think if the weight was further away from the body it would have more effect.

Like holsters and microwave ovens - try them all and see which fits you the best.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Bushmaster 16" HBAR carbine, and it isn't heavy at all.  Nicely balanced.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:14:18 PM EDT
[#9]
All of my AR's are HBars, that's just how it ended up.  The 16" hbars are no problem training in an 8 hour class for me.  The 20" hbar is a different story for training.  I did an 8 hour class with my 20" hbar the other weekend and it sucked.    Holding the low ready position with a 20" hbar is no fun especially when it's hot.  I was contemplating getting a lightweight 16" barrel, but the 16" hbar's have done right by me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
anybody use a heavy barrel on their carbine... thinkin about getting one...is it too much weight to be luggin around? and does really do much for the guns performance?

I'll never give up my 14.5" HBAR, it's very accurate with Q3131A scorching hot or stone cold, with no apparent POI shift.

As far as weight, it feels slightly heavier than a M4 profile, but certainly not objectionably so.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#11]
All my AR15s are 16" barrels (sold the HBAR 20" due to the weight and becuase I didn't like dealing with offset pivot pins - it had the large diameter pivot pin).

I much prefer my skinny barrel ARs to my 6721 (HBAR 16").

Also consider if you end up putting rail system, optics, lights, etc. onto a rifle, that HBAR is going to be really muzzle heavy.  I tried it and hated it.

SF
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Is an AR with an H-Bar barrel heavier than a lightweight carbine with all the rails full of toys?
Jim
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is an AR with an H-Bar barrel heavier than a lightweight carbine with all the rails full of toys?
Jim

Yes.

My LW Bushy with VLTOR, EOTech, DD7.0, VFG, BUIS, and Surefire weight less than the a basic A2 uppered/stocked 16" HBAR.

My philosophy is if I'm going to to have a 2.5lbs chrome lined barrel I might as well make it a 20" A2 profile to get velocity and sight radius.  Carbines should be short and handy
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#14]
My Hbar 6721 can do double duty as a scalpel and a hammer
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Jim

Depends on how many "toys" you have.  IIRC, a 16" HBAR barrel is about 19 oz heavier than a 16" M4 profile barrel.

My patrol rifle (Colt 6920) has a Surefire M900 on a MI accessory rail (mounted to stock lower handguard).  The light and rail are about 22 oz.  

As other have said, the mission drives the gear.  If you *need* a white light, an IR filter, a PEQ, a VFG, a rail to mount all the stuff on, and optics, then you need it regardless of what the weighs.  If you can save some weight by not using an HBAR, why not?

My 6721 now has only a MI FSB rail and a 5oz light mounted with a 1 oz Vltor mount.  That 8 oz or so is well worth it.

SF
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:22:46 AM EDT
[#16]
The Bushy 16" HBAR is only 0.5lb heavier than the 16" M4 profile.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Thats what I was looking for...  Your saying that the weight difference between the Bushy BCWA3F16 is 1/2 lb heavier than the Bushy BCWA3F16M4?  

This will be my first AR, so I have been searching these forums for quite a long time to be an informed consumer.  I have looked at the RRA also (Colts are out of my price range).  

I plan to just range shoot, occasionally go to my buddies property to varmint shoot, general Home defense (If my Glock is not enough firepower), etc.  I know my range habits and I will be rapid firing quite often(cause its fun), so would the HBAR be better (or does it even matter)?  I'm not going full auto, nor do I need a M203 (want - maybe, need - no)

I want to it to be accurate out to 100m (don't plan on shooting past that).  Capable of rapid firing (as fast as I can pull the trigger).  I plan to put a tac light and acog or eotech on it later, but dont want it to bee too heavy, since I will be carrying it occasionally walking around private property.

How much lighter would the super lightweight BCWA3F16SL be?  Would this serve my purposes.  I also want something that can take abuse, be reliable, rugged, fun to shoot, and accurate, so the weight aspect is secondary to those requisites.

I definately want a flat-top and collapsable stock.  I am also open to suggestions about other manufacturers, since I havent made a final decision, Bushy is currently my #1 prospect.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Bushy 16" HBAR is only 0.5lb heavier than the 16" M4 profile.

But the fact is that weight is hanging off a lever (the barrel) so it feels like more.

Heck I can tell the difference between A lightweight profile 16" an a 14.5" M4 and the difference is only a few ounces near the muzzle..
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:52:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top