Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/4/2005 11:20:55 AM EDT
This one's just for the Grendel. No discussions of the 6.8 SPC allowed. No comparisons, no debate will be tolerated.

Now discuss.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:23:09 AM EDT
+1
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 12:23:22 PM EDT
If we can't dis the 68 what do you want to discuss?BTW i think my Hunter upper is great. Roben.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 12:48:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1911roben:
If we can't dis the 68 what do you want to discuss?BTW i think my Hunter upper is great. Roben.

J-A-R has the right attitude. You on the other hand sequentially typed "6" followed by an "8". No soup for you!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:25:12 PM EDT
Pretty much all of the latest developments are here: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=257187&page=1

The only thing to add is that the 6.5 Grendel is infinitely better than any other AR-15 cartridge out there!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:43:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Griz:
Pretty much all of the latest developments are here: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=257187&page=1

The only thing to add is that the 6.5 Grendel is infinitely better than any other AR-15 cartridge out there!

Yeah whatever. its easy to censor aint it...
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 4:15:25 PM EDT
I want a 6.5 grendel!!!!

Wait....no I don't.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 4:18:07 PM EDT
Here is my new Grendel. Granted it is not an AR, but it's still fun. One of the beauties of the Grendel is that it excels in multiple platforms and arenas.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 4:33:27 PM EDT
Have you guys heard about 6.8mm SPC? It was developed in concert with guys from U.S. Special Forces. Wasn't sure whether or not you'd heard about it.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:15:26 PM EDT
I've concluded that the 6.5 and 6.8 were dead rounds - i.e. going nowhere. Am I that wrong?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:39:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WSAR15:
I've concluded that the 6.5 and 6.8 were dead rounds - i.e. going nowhere. Am I that wrong?

Yep, you're wrong, on both accounts, at least as far as the consumer market is concerned.

Bill Alex has posted that they are selling 200+ Grendel uppers per month. Does not sound like the Grendel is going nowhere. In particular, with the upcoming release of the 16" models and the +/- $595 CMCB (chrome moly, chrome bore) models, I will bet sales will only increase in the future.

6.8 ammo is becoming more widely available. More mfgs are announcing 6.8 offerings, for example the Rem 700 LTR in 6.8 like Watersnipers.

It is a great time to be an AR and a 6.X fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I have said on multiple occassions, "In the great AR15.com tradition - GET BOTH!!"

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:25:40 AM EDT
Because I am constantly annoyed by G-lovers pissing in the Cheerios of the [CALIBER_DELETED] crowd on their threads, I will not do likewise here.

I just finished building an alternative caliber AR and have really enjoyed shooting it for the last few days. Now I want a 6.5G upper to play with (I want 'em all). I know I can't build my own, but what options do I have? I want a 16" bbl. - since increased terminal performance out of a shorter bbl. is the main advantage I see to these cartridges.

Since I have to buy a complete upper, how much will it cost me?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:45:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dead_Nuts:
Because I am constantly annoyed by G-lovers pissing in the Cheerios of the [CALIBER_DELETED] crowd on their threads, I will not do likewise here.

I just finished building an alternative caliber AR and have really enjoyed shooting it for the last few days. Now I want a 6.5G upper to play with (I want 'em all). I know I can't build my own, but what options do I have? I want a 16" bbl. - since increased terminal performance out of a shorter bbl. is the main advantage I see to these cartridges.

The 16" GCS from Comp Shooting is due out this month. The base model is about $900 for the complete upper IIRC. It is on their site www.competitionshooting.com

The 16" CMCB (chrome moly, chrome bore) is due out in Feb (Shot), about $600 for the complete upper, also IIRC.

Choices are good!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:49:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/5/2005 8:51:01 AM EDT by Griz]

Originally Posted By Dead_Nuts:

If you wait for AA to release their chrome bore carbine, it will be less than $600.... That's supposed to be any time now, but you know how these things go, my personal best guess is that it will be Feb.

Edit: I type slow, WTR beat me to it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 11:21:25 AM EDT
Thanks for the info. $600 is more like it.

Between now and February, I may decide to go a slightly different route with the Grendel. Since it seems to have the advantage as far as long-range, I may go for accuracy. Maybe put together a tight free-floated 20"er with a nice "I see dead people" scope, etc.

Instead of engaging in a pissing match over which 6er is better, I say take advantage of each one's abilities. And in classic AR15 tradition - buy both!
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 11:24:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WSAR15:

IMHO you are. I think both rounds bring something to the tabel and will be enjoyed by AR enthusiasts for a while.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 11:38:47 AM EDT
Not to mention Wolf is supposedly going to offer 6.5G ammo for $5-$7 a box too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:02:37 PM EDT
I forgot a JK after this dis comment I bought the Grendel 1st because it suits my style of shooting. When I can afford it I will probably add a 6.8 to my stable. I've been shooting SMK 107 and 120s out of my Hunter, hope to try some Lapuas soon. Roben.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:55:27 AM EDT
does the grendel require a special upper ??? or can i use my quick change barrel system and a grendel barrel/bolt? thanks Adam
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:07:56 AM EDT
I read that even the designer of the 6mmPPC expects teh Grendel to overtake the PPC in terms of benchrest records eventually. That says alot, like I need a stainless Savage with an accu-trigger and fluted heavy barrel for it.....
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:28:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/6/2005 7:33:04 AM EDT by 223Rem]

Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
Not to mention Wolf is supposedly going to offer 6.5G ammo for $5-$7 a box too.

Wouldn't hold your breath for that one. Besides what is the point? Was the 6.5G developed as a plinking round? No. Why use plinking ammo? Wolf is notoriously underpowered, so any benefits the 6.5G for LR use has are now negated. Wolf will not be using the higher BC bullets either. And as for accuracy of wolf ammo. Do not expect your 6.5G to be shooting sub-moa any time soon.

Any data published yet on velocities from 16" or less barrels.?

Reb, not sure if you can buy just the 6.5G AR15 barrels yet. A few barrel makers have the reamers but are only making boltgun barrels as per licensing. And yes the ejection port on 6.5G uppers have been opened up a bit to increase ejection reliability due to the 6.5G case being fatter.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:40:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/6/2005 7:41:11 AM EDT by SPDSNYPR]
OK - I'm kinda interested in this. Does anyone have a linky to something that shows the performance of different loads in this caliber? I am specifically interested in terminal ballistics: penetration, fragmentation, intermediate barrier penetration, etc. Where does a brother come up with this info? A $600 upper is very reasonable, and what I have read thus far is interesting.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:47:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:52:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By twl:

MGI has applied for a license from Alexander Arms to be able to sell barrel/bolt/mag packages for the 6.5 Grendel(items produced by AA), that will allow that caliber conversion in our quick-change-barrel system.
As soon as the license is granted, we will offer caliber conversions for the MGI QCB in the 6.5 Grendel.
We expect this to be completed by AA in the near future, and we are ready and waiting to proceed.

Are you shitting me, Tom liers go to hell you know

Put me down for the first order
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:02:30 AM EDT

Wouldn't hold your breath for that one. Besides what is the point? Was the 6.5G developed as a plinking round? No. Why use plinking ammo? Wolf is notoriously underpowered, so any benefits the 6.5G for LR use has are now negated. Wolf will not be using the higher BC bullets either. And as for accuracy of wolf ammo. Do not expect your 6.5G to be shooting sub-moa any time soon.

I'll have to disagree here, I hear Wolf is supposed to make an announcement at SHOT 06. I have seen chrono tests in wolf and they are not underpowered actually (at least in 45acp). And I think this is a big deal because what is holding back 6.8 right now? I'd say mostly it's the lack of inexpensive plentiful ammo. While most people would like a Grendel for 1. comp 2. hunting 3. long range fun - many people would ALSO like to have inexpensive ammo just for fun when you don't need sub MOA groups.

Plus from what I hear, the Wolf offering is going to be hunting ammo, not necassarily plinking ammo. Wolf has the capability of being fairly accurate- for example the 45acp is not too shabby, while their .223 can only hold about 1-2" at 100m. My point is theit 6.5G offering MAY be accurate enough to get the job done we'll have to wait and see...
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:37:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/6/2005 8:40:47 AM EDT by twl]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:18:53 PM EDT
223rem, Acording to Bill A. wolf ammo will be brass cased, boxer primed, in two loads. One hunting soft point and one tactical, both 120 gr. accuracy will be moa. The 16" bbl. loses very little vel. over 20" bbl. Roben.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:07:39 PM EDT
I might be interested in a barrel, bolt, mag deal if they made premium match stainless barrel 20" (ie. Douglas, Shelen, etc.) BTW what is the twist rate on these? I've heard some different numbers. Are they using a mid or full length gas system?

Originally posted by LArifleMAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MGI has applied for a license from Alexander Arms to be able to sell barrel/bolt/mag packages for the 6.5 Grendel(items produced by AA), that will allow that caliber conversion in our quick-change-barrel system.
As soon as the license is granted, we will offer caliber conversions for the MGI QCB in the 6.5 Grendel.
We expect this to be completed by AA in the near future, and we are ready and waiting to proceed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you shitting me, Tom liers go to hell you know

Put me down for the first order

Yes, it's true.

And I also applied for a license for ABS barrels to make carbon-fiber wrapped high-performance barrels in 6.5 Grendel, and I expect that license to be granted soon also.

At least, I hope they will be granted soon.
It is all in the hands of AA, to grant the licenses when they are ready.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:09:10 PM EDT
Didn't Beowulf slay the Grendel...centuries ago?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:42:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WalkerTexasRanger:The 16" CMCB (chrome moly, chrome bore) is due out in Feb (Shot), about $600 for the complete upper, also IIRC.

Hmmmmmm, now you got my attention.

As a 6.5 mm addict (260 Rem and 6.5X55 in my safe), I might need to close the circle with that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 5:02:35 PM EDT by Bryan72D]
Walker, what is that rifle!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:40:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bryan72D:
Walker, what is that rifle!!!

www.sgyrifles.com built:

Stolle Panda F-Class action (20MOA integral rail)
SG&Y F-Class stock bulit by Roberston Composites
30" straight taper Krieger 8.5 twist barrel
Jewell 1.5oz BR trigger
SG&Y trigger guard
SG&Y aluminum rings
8.5-25x50 Leup M1 scope

Speedy builds some damn nice rifles, and I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a custom rig...

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:05:51 PM EDT
hogs and coyotes at 200 if one can barley consider onself a marksman let alone a sharpshoor or expert,can be taken easy even with a akm,,my son at nie could bag them clean with a akm open sites,,,work on you shooting and field craft
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:34:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 10:34:42 PM EDT by Randall_Rausch]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:08:08 PM EDT
Just because I can...........

Top Top