Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2005 7:14:55 PM EDT
I just placed an order today for a new Bushmaster 20" A3 and it should be here sometime late next week, I can't wait!

What are some MUST HAVE accessories that every AR-15 owner should have in their tool kit?  When the rifle arrives, the only other thing I will own is a case and 1 magazine.  I know more mags are a must, but what else should I buy?  

I've got money burning a whole, please point me in the right direction :).
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Hole burning in your pocket huh? Nothing better to accessorize your new AR than another AR sitting next to it

Optics are nice. Aimpoint is my choice, ACOGs are nice for ranges further out. Get a good cleaning kit. I like Otis. Buy, ammo. Cases and cases of it. Clean it shoot it, then repeat.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
A stock wrench comes to mind.  But other than that, I would just get ammo.  If you break something you can always order it later.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Ammo, mags, maybe a sling.

Don't buy anything else until you have at least 1k rounds through it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd get a flashlight and a remote presure switch before anything else.

Dan
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Mags, Ammo, Sling, Ammo, Optics, Ammo, Light, Ammo, Case

In that order
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Ammo & mags.

Until you have AT MINIMUM 500 rounds, preferably 1000, of good ammo on hand (not to be fired, open in case of apocalypse) don't buy anything else.

Don't blow your money on extra shit, either, until you're comfortable with the rifle and you can honestly weigh the pros and cons of stuff.   I still see no need for a rail system, for example.  Just makes things heavier, and the only thing I'd like to mount is a light and maybe a VFG.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Only if it's a basic USGI type sling.  "Tactical" is verboten until you learn to shoot your rifle IMO.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
LULA loader

Mags

Ammo

I personally don't like a lot of shit hanging off my AR, the only "extra" I have on my 6920 is an EOTECH and I'm taking it off to put on my MP 5 clone.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if it's a basic USGI type sling.  "Tactical" is verboten until you learn to shoot your rifle IMO.

I'd suggest an IDF sling. I agree that "tactical" type slings are not a good choice for a newbie.

The USGI slings are utterly useless for actually carrying the rifle, unless you fix them up with 550 cord, and then you just have a bad copy of the IDF sling.

Just IMO.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info guys.

What types of special tools and things like that should I buy?

Does anyone know where I can buy black 30 round Bushmaster mags?  For some reason, all the Bushmaster 30 round mags i've found have been silver/aluminum finish and not black.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Ammo, MagPul upgraded mags or HK HE Maritime magazines and more ammo.  Oh... and not WOLF ammo or any other steel case ammo, get good brass.

Actually, find ammo that your weapon works well with and stick to that ammo.

Oh... and if your weapon is brand new, you may want to lock the bolt to the rear and leave it like that until you can get it to the range.  That way the number of break-in shots will be reduced.

I was frustrated with my first AR because I had numerious FTE.  Then I did a search and finally read the manual and found out that there would be a 200 round break in period.  I locked the bolt to the rear while it was being stored and the next time at the range, the weapon worked flawlessly.

Hardwarz
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys.

What types of special tools and things like that should I buy?

Does anyone know where I can buy black 30 round Bushmaster mags?  For some reason, all the Bushmaster 30 round mags i've found have been silver/aluminum finish and not black.

www.bushmaster.com  ETA - but I don't know if they make them in black.

But seriously, forks, don't bother.  Just find a good supplier of USGI mags (there's a ton of them out there now) and go with those.  Same thing, no snake, lot easier to find and cheaper.

As to the guy talking about Magpul and HK mags and whatever else, don't bother with that either until find out that good USGI mags don't work in your quality rifle (which won't happen anyway, but I digress).

ETA: Forgot one thing.  Get a USGI buttstock cleaning kit. Put it in your rifle. Never take it out.  Use another cleaning kit to clean.  Trust me, if you ever have a failure to extract, that cleaning rod can keep it from ending your day at the range.  I usually throw away the oiler bottle and use a small bottle of Rem Oil from Walmart instead.  I can't get those little oiler bottles NOT to leak.

As far as tools, Front sight adjustment tool is essential.  Everything else can wait, including mag loaders.  Loading mags by hand is not that difficult.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ammo, MagPul upgraded mags or HK HE Maritime magazines and more ammo.  Oh... and not WOLF ammo or any other steel case ammo, get good brass.

Oh... and if your weapon is brand new, you may want to lock the bolt to the rear and leave it like that until you can get it to the range.  That way the number of break-in shots will be reduced.

I was frustrated with my first AR because I had numerious FTE.  Then I did a search and finally read the manual and found out that there would be a 200 round break in period.  I locked the bolt to the rear while it was being stored and the next time at the range, the weapon worked flawlessly.

Hardwarz

Thanks.  Do you know of a good (cheap) place where I can buy those HK HE Maritime magazines?  I checked Equipment Exchange here on AR15.com but didn't find any.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Hardwarz

What the hell are you talking about?
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hardwarz

Thanks.  Do you know of a good (cheap) place where I can buy those HK HE Maritime magazines?  I checked Equipment Exchange here on AR15.com but didn't find any.

dont waste you money on HK mags

buy a bunch of USGI mags if they dont work you've got a promblem with your gun,
You can always upgrade to the magpul followers for super reliablity
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hardwarz

Who knows?
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#17]
USGI mags (D&H, Okay Industries, Center, LaBelle, etc.)

Ammo (don't listen to the guy above, Wolf is fine. Just use it for plinking, not something you'd put your life on the line with)

Just make sure you buy lots of ammo. It tends to go quickly with these damn AR's

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Cheap and HK do not belong in the same sentence together.  HKs go for about $75 (minimum) and are scarce as hell.  USGIs go for about $12.  You do the math.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheap and HK do not belong in the same sentence together.  HKs go for about $75 (minimum) and are scarce as hell.  USGIs go for about $12.  You do the math.

HK mags can be reportedly had for around $40, not $75. Spooge5150 got a dozen of them for $38 each.

WIZZO

EDIT: LINK He says the price on the 2nd page towards the bottom.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Cleaning kit/lube,magazines,ammo.Gear to carry your mags,and cleaning kit,run 2000 rounds through to familiarize and break in the rifles moving parts aka loosening it up a bit.New ARs are stiff and tight.,Carbine class will teach you alot with handling and youll get to see others gadgets and then see whats relevant,what works and what does not.I use an Aimpoint ML3 for night and low light and irons for everything else.Learn the iron sights first.You will get alot out of taking a tactical carbine class.I use the stock sling and paracord to make a top carry sling after knocking out the front swivel.I run cord through the swivel hole and on the rear of the FSB for back up.Strong simple and cheap.Just my .02I use the grey brit steel bodied mags with magpul folowers.More sturdy than aluminum and cheaper for 4 ounces heavier loaded per mag.Dont worry abot tools until you understand the design.A front sight adjusting tool,and broken case extractor,a bore snake to clean with...easy to use.A 5/32 pin punch to change out lower parts if need be,Thats the first thing I learned ..I figured I would need a new hammer,trigger or disconector before a barrel.I got the marine corps armorers manual and the reciever blocks to hold upper and lowers in the vise before I started to learn how to do other assemblies.The Bushmaster armorer video is way helpful.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

HK mags can be reportedly had for around $40, not $75. Spooge5150 got a dozen of them for $38 each.

WIZZO

Wow, that's news to me.

Still over 3 times the cost to feel more tactical.

What would you rather have, 12 mags or 36 mags?
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Ammo
USGI Mags (such as D&H & NHMTG mfg)
Sling
Otis Cleaning Kit (best I've ever used)

In my opinion, don't spend money on the MagPul followers for your magazines. I've never had a failure with a standard green USGI follower on my magazines, but I have personally had four failure to feeds with MagPul followers (many others haven't, but I have).
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Ammo
USGI Mags (such as D&H & NHMTG mfg)
Sling
Otis Cleaning Kit (best I've ever used)

In my opinion, don't spend money on the MagPul followers for your magazines. I've never had a failure with a standard green USGI follower on my magazines, but I have personally had four failure to feeds with MagPul followers (many others haven't, but I have).

something is up then.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WIZZO

Wow, that's news to me.

Still over 3 times the cost to feel more tactical.

What would you rather have, 12 mags or 36 mags?

I said reportedly, as in "I don't have any".

If you check that link, all the mags I posted a pic of in my post are D&H, Okay (NHMTG), Center, Adventure Line, and Parsons (except that 40rder).

I haven't convinced myself that HK mags are worth it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#25]
If the brown magpul folowers dont work in your mags then somethings up with the mag.The first run was red and those were dimensionaly larger and did cause hangups hence the later brown ones.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'm talking about the brand new weapons where the buffer spring is still stiff.  By locking the bolt to the rear and leaving it like that until you get to the range, it will loosen it a bit letting you use less break-in rounds.

I had to do this on my AR and my Springfield 1911 sub-compact when it was new also.

www.botac.com/botach/hkarma.html has HK mags for $45.  If you have a chance to hold the mags in your hand before you purchase them, I suggest you look at them, GI mags and MagPul upgraded mags and make the decision for yourself.  For myself, I will not go back to GI mags.
GI mags can be had for $10-15 each.
MagPul upgraded mags on www.magpul.com can be had for $22 each.
And as stated above, HK mags can be had for $45ea.

I really suggest you check all of them out and make the decision for yourself insead.

Another source for HK mas is www.calssportingarmory.com/hk416MAC.htm

I personally own 2 HK mags, 12 MagPul upgraded mags and 4 USGI mags that weren't converted because the so-called "MilSpec" mags weren't milspec.  Even though I replaced the followers with the green GI ones, the springs are still not MilSpec and the shape isn't MilSpec (won't fit a MagPul follower.)  Anyone want them?  $5.00 each. + Shipping
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#27]
In order of importance

1. "Enough" Ammo. That was 900 rounds in my case
2. "Enough" Magazines. 10 mags from the EE for me.
3. Optics. Eotech 552 from EE. Maginified optics are sweet as well

everything else is just for fun... I'd add a VLTOR/LMT stock. I also have a surefire rail system + KAC vertical foregrip for better handling
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the info everyone.  I didn't realize how expensive HK mags were, i'm definitely going to pass on them...
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm talking about the brand new weapons where the buffer spring is still stiff.  By locking the bolt to the rear and leaving it like that until you get to the range, it will loosen it a bit letting you use less break-in rounds.

I don't know what your talking about!Built two and own 4 Ar's all new and no fte,ftf nothing at all.
3k through a sp1, @2k through the others.
I have seen Ar's at the range that were brand new with very tight chambers fte where the cleaning rod and stock bump were utilized.But not because of tight springs.

Oh yeah  what is BREAK in,to me its 3x 30 rds down range fast.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#30]
When I built my M4ergy

I broke it in
and melted the handguards in the process

Never had a FTF or FTE ever with any of my ARs.

And the HK mags are bricks, $50 is too much for something that is semi expendable.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hardwarz

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#32]
D&H mags regular: Here

Same by the case (Yummy): Here

D&H mags with Mag-Pul followers: Here

No personal experience though.  I found the link today after I ordered 10 upgraded D&H from DSG Arms for about $16.17 each shipped on Nov. 30th.  I wish I'd have found this link first, I could have saved 1/3 or gotten 1/3 more mags.  Oh well, at least you know.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
D&H mags regular: Here

Same by the case (Yummy): Here

D&H mags with Mag-Pul followers: Here

No personal experience though.  I found the link today after I ordered 10 upgraded D&H from DSG Arms for about $16.17 each shipped on Nov. 30th.  I wish I'd have found this link first, I could have saved 1/3 or gotten 1/3 more mags.  Oh well, at least you know.

Scott

I know what im getting for Christmas
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Which one????

That case keeps winking at me and asking me to bring it home.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#35]
D&H mags are great, I ordered 10 not too long ago and theyre beautiful. Paid $11.50 apiece for them.  

I keep most of my mags loaded with XM-193. I have a few others with wolf in them, I use those when other people are going to be shooting my rifle.  If your rifle wont function with Wolf, you need to get it fixed.

I've been using the standard green followers in all my mags and theyve worked great, but I have considered upgrading to some of the MAGPUL followers.

ETA: HK mags arent worth the money. USGI's are all that is needed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#36]
bullets
mags
sling
cleaning kit
spare bcg
CLP

That is all you will ever need
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
bullets
mags
sling
cleaning kit
spare bcg
CLP

What about Cases with powder?

ETA, you need primers too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
bullets
mags
sling
cleaning kit
spare bcg
CLP

What are BCG's and CLP's?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Bolt Carrier Group
Cleaner, Lube, Protectant (universal cleaner)
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks.

Do you guys think the Bushmaster Armorer's DVD is a good purchase for a beginner?  Will I learn a lot from it?
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Spend the $$ on a Team Membership and  search the crap out of this site, you will learn so much more...
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:19:36 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Spend the $$ on a Team Membership and  search the crap out of this site, you will learn so much more...hr

Will do :).

Also, would you recommend buying the Otis AR-15 standard cleaning kit OR the Otis AR-15 A2 buttstock cleaning kit?  
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:31:01 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Spend the $$ on a Team Membership and  search the crap out of this site, you will learn so much more...

Will do :).

Also, would you recommend buying the Otis AR-15 standard cleaning kit OR the Otis AR-15 A2 buttstock cleaning kit?  

You need a buttstock kit.  USGI is the best and cheapest way to go.  If the Otis is equivalent and in the neighborhood of $20, go for it.  It is vitally important for you to have a full-length cleaning rod in the buttstock, however.  Not a wire, not a boresnake, a rod.  Because you may need to poke things with it.  Seriously.

I would recommend ANOTHER cleaning kit for after range use.  Reason being, you don't want to lose parts or forget to put your kit back in the buttstock, because they day you do that is the day you have to poke a Wolf empty out of your chamber from the muzzle end.

ETA: So you know, both times I've ever had failures to extract at the range, I was shit out of luck because of no cleaning rod.  Put that AR right out of commission for the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:36:51 AM EDT
[#44]
mags
LULA
ammo
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm an AK man, but recently ordered an AR (RRA)....

LC Industries has 30-round  Okay Industries mags for $11.74 each, and no shipping on orders over $50.

I ordered 15 of them on 12-1-05.     I got the order on 12-2-05 at 2pm.

They have become my sole source for future magazine purchases.

Cant beat the price, and sure as hell cant beat the delivery speed.
Now if I could just get my gun.  

Edited to Add:     I ordered a LULA mag loader after sitting here and loading all 15 mags.   That sucked.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Mags, Ammo, CLASSES.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:54:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Congrats on your purchase.

Keep it as is for now - just shoot the snot out of it.

Learn how to maintain the rifle - it possible to damage it if you don't maintain it properly - you'll need:

1 piece 26" cleaning rod, stainless steel or coated
AR15 bore guide
.22 cal jag (not a loop)
.22 cal patches (be sure they are this size only!)
10 .22 cal bore brushes
pipe cleaners
q-tips
hoppes 9
mobil 1 or clp

NEVER clean from the muzzle end

consider getting a bolt carrier carbon scraper from brownells

enhanced 30 round magazines from specialized armament

use only quality US made ammo (NEVER any russian ammo)

Take a rifle class from gunsite, rifles only, larry vickers, clint smith, mid-south, louis awerbuck, or someone else.  The money spend on a class will be much better spent than on a bunch of accessories at this point.  Master the iron sights before you put a red-dot scope on it.

SF

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:00:15 AM EDT
[#48]

NEVER any russian ammo

please.

suggestion - NOT fact.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:05:39 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I'm an AK man, but recently ordered an AR (RRA)....

LC Industries has 30-round  Okay Industries mags for $11.74 each, and no shipping on orders over $50.

I ordered 15 of them on 12-1-05.     I got the order on 12-2-05 at 2pm. hey
Cant beat the price, and sure as hell cant beat the delivery speed.
Now if I could just get my gun.  h.gif

Edited to Add:     I ordered a LULA mag loader after sitting here and loading all 15 mags.   That sucked. hr

Does LC Industries have a website?  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:24:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Mags, Ammo, CLASSES.

Owning an AR does not make you a competent shooter.  Get good training.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top