User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Wow, I wonder if you should remove the barrel to get a better grip from BEHIND the round. Good luck.

im thinkin the same thing, of course this would be the last resort type deal, if all else fails.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Instead of using a full-length dowl rod, cut it into 4-6" pieces and tap on it from there.
When using a full-length rod, it will flex inside the barrel when tapped, but by cutting it into ~6" sections and dropping each section in on top each other, the rods don't flex & all the force gets transferred directly to the bullet.

Also, pour in some Kroil oil, which is penetrating by nature & should free it up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Might I make a suggestion? Pull the barrell then you can get a pair of vise grips on the case head, you can then tap on the vise grips or wrost comes too worst crush it so you can turn the casing and get it out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Reguardless of human error, Wolf still sucks.
 Yup, that's why after 6,000 rounds I still have yet to encounter a problem.  Hmmm, with the money I have saved, I could buy another GUN.  I went thru 1,000 rounds today of Wolf in under 2 hours in the driving rain and it was 100% for my plinking application, but it did run away with my wife, kill my dog and cause my house to catch fire  I bet if it was either Winchester or Federal you would be calling the Poster names...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#5]
TAG
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#6]
keep us updated, let us know how it turns out
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:07:04 AM EDT
[#7]
hope you get it out , will keep checking in
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:30:28 AM EDT
[#8]
No idea if this would work, but would putting the upper in a freezer help  contract the case a bit?  I'm thinking the case is wedged in so tight if you could use some thermal help to get it to contract some, then maybe you would have success tapping it out.  Just a thought -- I aint aint a gunsmith and I don't play one on TV.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:30:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:41:26 AM EDT
[#10]
NA
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:44:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Might I make a suggestion? Pull the barrell then you can get a pair of vise grips on the case head, you can then tap on the vise grips or wrost comes too worst crush it so you can turn the casing and get it out.

Pulling with vice-grips might be a good idea....but crushing the case head?  Not sure I would be comfortable doing that with a live primer between the jaws !      I would think that it would be safer to file some flats into the case rim and then try to turn it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:49:44 AM EDT
[#12]
You might try to remove it with high pressure air through a rubber tipped air gun! It usually works on frozen wheel cylinder pistons, maybe it will work for you! Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:56:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Ask your friend what he wants to do with the barrel, as it looks like he just bought one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:10:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Stop risking serious danger to yourslf.  It is just not worth it....  

Send the upper off to a qualified gunsmith and have them work on it.  If it can't be repaired, they can install a new barrel and send her right back.  No big deal.    

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:40:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, words at the moment can't describe my anger right now, but I'll let that slide to focus on what I can do to somehow save this thing.

It's an original Colt CMPC 1/12" M16A1 barrel, and I'm not sure how easily I would find a replacement, not to mention having to pay a gunsmith to replace the barrel, and paying a gunsmith to try to work on getting the round out.

Will save this thread and keep it updated this week with what the gunsmith says.

not to mention I have a test trigger kit on the way from another member wanting to market a new trigger kit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:43:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:52:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Also, I feel better (although the situation is worse) that it was not the fault of the ammo (as usual with wolf stories).  I've always liked their products, and have been a cleaning freak so have never had any problem with their ammunition.  I think my main problem was that I was shooting XM193 for me (I care about accuracy) and letting my friend, who had never shot before shoot up my bag of wolf.  Maybe if I had let him shoot up my brass he wouldn't of made that mistake.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:58:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Tagged to see the end result and to read all the Wolf defenders comments.

Still can't find where you were able to eliminate the ammo as the problem.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:01:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Still can't find where you were able to eliminate the ammo as the problem.

besides the part about it being a 5.45 in a 5.56 chamber?

man, if I had used real Russian 7ns (or whatever they call it) I'm sure the same thing would of happened.

wolf hatred is like a cult in here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:07:16 AM EDT
[#21]
So, you don't have the bullet out, but you know it is the wrong caliber?  I wasn't able to come to that conclusion with the info provided.   Never mind, I found it on a reread.

Wolf hatred isn't unfounded.  It reproves itself on a pretty regular basis.  I use it, but minimally.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
get the barrel off, there is a good chance you can pull it with a flat bladed screwdriver or two.

Yep.

"give me a lever big enough..."
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:13:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Before you put all the blame on the newbie at the range remember the Wolf factory can be partially at fault here.

One day at the range I opened a box of .223 Wolf and low and behold there was one round of 5.45 in the box.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Had a few of these situations come into my bud's gun shop. Use a cleaning rod ,anyone will pretty much work and let it free drop into the bore , shouldnt take much pressure from the front. Most Ar's dont like wolf; in fact id say 85% depending on your twist rate. they are too tight chambered and are steel jacket with a poly coating to boot. Its worth the extra 60 bucks per 1000 not to mess up your gun.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:28:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I've used thousands of rounds of wolf with no problems.  Well, no ammo related problems.  Must remember to clean rifle every 2000 rounds or so to maintain function.

If you can get the powder out of the case, and shove the bullet back into it, that would probably allow you to push the case out with a dowel.  Right now I imagine the bullet is still just seated further back in the neck, and is causing the neck to be wedged tight against the rifling.  If the bullet is shoved back further(powder must obviously be removed first, after being deactivated, by drilling/removing case head) it should relieve that pressure, and only the weak steal case will be holding against the rifling, and it should give way pretty easily.  Although I've never had this exact situation, only a stuck bullet, and a stuck fired case once.

It's a sucky situation you have.  Half the fun of shooting is letting others try your guns, but this kind of thing is always the risk.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#26]
You could try putting it in a vice outdoors in a safe location, and manually discharge the round using a punch and a hammer.
Kinda crazy but it just might work, and if your lucky the recoil will blow the casing back out!

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
For what it's worth, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, (M.E.K.) will dissolve lacquer residue.

AKA "Methyl Ethyl Bad-Stuff" to HazMat.... that's some nasty shit if you don't watch it. Read the
safety instructions SEVERAL TIMES and follow them to the letter.

It ought to do the job, but be careful that it doesn't do a job on you....
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#28]
if you could somehow get the primer out without discharging it, a stuck case removing tool they use for reloading dies should be able to yank the case out

If the bullet is pushed into the case, pour water or wd 40 down the barrel to kill the powder or shake the upper up and down to sprinkle the powder out

Then whack the primer, drill and tap to yank it out, then drill and tap the flash hole, thread a bolt thru it and yank the sombitch out.

Of course since this may result in personal injury or death I'd be afraid to try it

ETA:  another possibility, can you put water down the barrel then with a tight fitting rod, whack the rod and use hydraulic pressure to force it out?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
This here is the perfect reason that you don't use WOLF ammo.

I'm doing some checking on how to disolve the laqure , but the laqure on the WOLF rounds melted while shooting and it cooled off to quickly and now its stuck.

Pat

New Wolf has polymer coating not lacquer, I have had no problems.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The same damn thing happened to me, actually... A wolf round would just absolutely NOT come out, and the extraction arm wouldn't let go either. NO AMOUNT of tapping (went through 4 rods!) would get it loose.

I finally hammered out the bolt, and with it the stuck round.

I also now have 700 rounds of wolf sitting around that I will absolutely NOT be firing.

Please send it to me I will pay shipping, I'll Pm with my address.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Out of a hunch I decided to look at the rim of the casing again.  I had almost forgot that I had a bag of AK74 wolf ammo next too it.

my friend, unknowingly loaded a 5.45x39 round into the chamber.  So it's safe to say there isn't a round ahead of it, just a wedged 5.45x39 round.  I'm kinda pissed, and I already told him I'm holding him liable if the bore is damaged, because I clearly layed out for him what was .223 and what was for the AK74.

not sure if this makes my problem worse or better.

So its not my Wolfie, yeh!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:03:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Man, sorry to hear about this.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:05:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

no it's not.

and no, I couldn't set off the round now, because a jammed part of a cleaning rod is now imbedded inside the bore probably mushroomed over the bullet.  Firing it would most likely cause a KBoom and for sure ruin the barrel/upper.

out of curiosity I'd love to run this thing though a xray machine like they have at the airport and see what the situation of the casing, bullet and cleaning rod are.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no it's not.

and no, I couldn't set off the round now, because a jammed part of a cleaning rod is now imbedded inside the bore probably mushroomed over the bullet.  Firing it would most likely cause a KBoom and for sure ruin the barrel/upper.

Sucks man, hope you get it worked out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Here are a couple of things that can be done.
1. If you have managed to kill the powder and you know for sure that is a fact. (had some come out
the end of the barrel or know that the bullet is inside the case) Flush with hot water to get most of the oil out and dry it out with air. remove the barrel and put it in an oven (house hold type) and take it up to 450/500 deg. and let cool. The case should come out fairly easy then by tapping it out.
At this temperature it should relieve the brass.

2. if you have a threaded barrel, have a threaded plug made that will screw on  the barrel and a
grease fitting on the end. Using a grease gun, pump full of grease and it will come out.
A grease gun can produce a lot of pressure (10,000 psi). This may even work if you can get the
barrel about half full of grease and use a good tight cleaning patch on a jag and then hitting
the rod with a rubber hammer. The grease will transfer the energy better that the long rod will.

3. All else fails, send it to me and I will get it out

Are you in Houston?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:17:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:18:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
out of curiosity I'd love to run this thing though a xray machine like they have at the airport and see what the situation of the casing, bullet and cleaning rod are.

Why not take it to the local airport and see if the TSA can oblige you. You may even get a free set of shiny new bracelets.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not take it to the local airport and see if the TSA can oblige you. You may even get a free set of shiny new bracelets.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
You could try putting it in a vice outdoors in a safe location, and manually discharge the round using a punch and a hammer.
Kinda crazy but it just might work, and if your lucky the recoil will blow the casing back out!

Do you write commercials for Vonage? Woo hoo woo hoo hoo...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:30:57 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not that crazy of an Idea, but it would be too much of a risk, especially since there was a good chance the bullet was pushed down into the casing and at an angle with the tip pointing towards the neck of the chamber (headspace) and a KBoom would probably happen.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#44]
MM,

Give me a call.  Or IM me if you do not have my phone number.

The Houston Crew may have to have a movie night at my places and we can work on this.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not that crazy of an Idea, but it would be too much of a risk, especially since there was a good chance the bullet was pushed down into the casing and at an angle with the tip pointing towards the neck of the chamber (headspace) and a KBoom would probably happen.  

Sounds simple and safe enough in theory... just like knocking down a bees nest into a garbage can... woo hoo woo hoo hoo...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:14:23 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
This here is the perfect reason that you don't use WOLF ammo.

I'm doing some checking on how to disolve the laqure , but the laqure on the WOLF rounds melted while shooting and it cooled off to quickly and now its stuck.

Quoted:

I'm not sure of the new polymer Wolf stuff, but the old lacquer coating would melt in a hot chamber and as it cooled it would 'bond' itself to the lacquer residue left behind from previous rounds if the rifle got hot enough. Could happen too if the residue was allowed to build up without cleaning it all out and after enough rounds cause sticking rounds, maybe even to the point of staying stuck. I would try putting paint thinner down the barrel overnight to try and loosen it.

The ignorance of some of the folks responding to this thread is astounding.

1) Wolf lacquer does not "melt and coat your chamber and then causes the case to glue itself in there", or whatever reasoning you like to use. People have taken a blow torch to the case, and there has been no melted lacquer. I have done several mag dumps through my non-chrome barreled AR, and then left a round of Wolf in the chamber. It extracted without a problem. If the lacquer melts, the case gluing itself into the chamber would be a repeatable experiment, and it would do so in everyone's rifle.

2) Wolf does not function in everyone's rifle. True enough. At least most of the malfunctions have been from annoyances (FTE, short cycling, or something minor), but I have not heard of a single catastrophic problem involving Wolf.

3) Combloc armies the world over used "lacquer" coated ammo for decades, and curiously enough, they didn't have these problems in their full-auto weapons.

Now granted, the case dimensions on commie weapons are different, and most of theirs are more tapered than the .223, but even so - lacquer melting would have jammed their weapons as well.

My guess is that most of the time when a case gets stuck in the chamber, that it's due to the non-tapered chamber dimensions of .223/5.56 rifles, along with variations in case roughness, and somewhat higher firction of the steel cased ammo that's the culprit.

In this particular case, it was obviously MauserMark's buddy that deserves a bitch-slap. I think I ended up with a 7.62x39 round in an AR mag one time. Don't know how I managed to load that up. Thankfully, the 7.62x39 is way too big to chamber.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Had a few of these situations come into my bud's gun shop. Use a cleaning rod ,anyone will pretty much work and let it free drop into the bore , shouldnt take much pressure from the front. Most Ar's dont like wolf; in fact id say 85% depending on your twist rate. they are too tight chambered and are steel jacket with a poly coating to boot. Its worth the extra 60 bucks per 1000 not to mess up your gun.

I should probably go buy a lottery ticket right now then, huh?

I personally have 4 AR's that have run on wolf without a hitch, and my brother has 2 AR's that run really well with it too.

I do have the occasional stuck round in one non-chrome-lined chamber, but I attribute that to my poor cleaning habits, not Wolf (it has done it FAR more with Q3131a, i.e. 4rds out of one box).

Get back under your bridge, troll

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:30:20 AM EDT
[#48]
tag

Maybe ask over on the AK side...They tend to be more skilled with big hammers!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Okay here are some other options. All but one are Colt SP1/M16 complete uppers. The CDNN ones have the best prices. So if you want to just put this away for now and put another upper on you'll be able to use your rifle again. This is probably the safest and cheapest way to go.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=38119473
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=296205
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=299379
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=300159
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=300157
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=299559
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/arsp1upnewco.html
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ara1upasusgi.html
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/coara1upasus.html
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Absolutely not. NO. No buying of new uppers or parts.

This is simply a matter of force and Friction.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top