User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'll bet I make more money than you, and I own four AK's and one M4gery.
Wanna bet me??

I bet my daddy can beat up your daddy!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AKs are made to be cheap.  They are not made to be expensive, accuate or nice.  They are made for 3rd worlders to be able to mass produce them on primitive equpiment.  They are designed to need minimal maintaining by 3rd world idiots.  They are the perfect firearm for the poor and ignorant and thus are used by the majority of poor and ignorant countries.  I used to have an AK.  That does not change the fact they were, and are, designed for poor, ignorant people in 3rd world countries.  They have poor recoil characteristics, suppress horribly, have built in negatives to accuracy, have poor sights, are unergonomic, tend to rust easily and are generally not very well good firearms compared to the newer designs of firearms that assume the end user will be intelligent, trained, well equipped and disciplined.

AKs are for poor people.

Pretty much right on....

You live in California.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]
buddy of mine just picked up a VEPR from robarm, its badass, has the kobra sight on it and everything.  I dont know if its better then my AR, i just know both are kickass guns and i wouldnt hesitate or care which i grabbed in a shtf scenario, im just more compatible / comfortable with my ar

the ak was $$$ tho, the vepr
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Some of you got really upset by my poor people comment.  It was not meant to be derisive or anything like that to those who own them.  They are great for a "cheap gun" and yes a $700 custom assult rifle is "cheap" compared to a custom AR.  I carried mine in the trunk for over a year so I would not cry if it got stolen and would not have to clean it and baby it.  I completely trusted the function of that rifle and enjoyed shooting it.  If you cant afford an AR an AK is the best budget alternative.  However you cant start comparing custom AKs to bone stock milspecish ARs to prove AKs can be accurate.  An AK will never be an AR.  THe custom AR will always be a better weapon system to trained and equipped soldiers.  All rifles have bad points too. Even the AR is not perfect in the ergonomics dept which is its strong suit.  All weapons have pluses and minuses.  The big the the AK has going for it is that it is cheap.  That was a major influence on its design and redsign to the stamped sheet steel frame.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think that there is any question that the AK was designed to be a cheap weapon, and anybody with an ounce of metalurgical knowledge can tell that by looking at it.  Likewise, it was designed to be used by conscripts, not professionals.

That doesn't make it a bad gun.  A Honda Civic isn't a bad car, but it isn't a BMW.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AKs are for poor people.

$699 cheap

You're skewing the argument. That kit cost $700 because it's rare, not because it is lovingly hand-built from the finest materials on earth by unionized labor making $35 an hour.

You're looking at a kit that is worth $100, but actually cost $700 from the forces of supply and demand. Lots of people want them, therefore, the price can be elevated to a point where they can keep them in stock, and still sell as many as they want by shutting people out of the market (i.e. the people that can afford a $100 AK kit and not a $700 one)

And on topic, I have both and like both, but the AR's have been more fun for me.

YMMV

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I have never seen the people on this forum treat eachother with such disrespect.  Its too bad, I thought we had a nice positive community going here.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have never seen the people on this forum treat eachother with such disrespect.  Its too bad, I thought we had a nice positive community going here.

We have a nice positive community of people who like to disrespect each other, how's that?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#9]
You come down on one side or the other, find which and accept it.  I like AKs, ARs have better modularity, ergonomics, and accuraccy but fall well short in every other category.  Don't believe me run dirty foreign/surplus ammo.  Accuraccy is largely due to the round, AKs in 5.56 I have personally seen hit 18 inch targets at 300meters iron sights.  I cannot personally make that shot but it is doable.
7.62X39 is a 200meter and under round period, this covers most all combat ranges of engagement since most do not shoot at what they cannot see clearly.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
AKs are for poor people.

www.k-var.com/aks74u.jpg

$699 cheap

You're skewing the argument. That kit cost $700 because it's rare, not because it is lovingly hand-built from the finest materials on earth by unionized labor making $35 an hour.

You're looking at a kit that is worth $100, but actually cost $700 from the forces of supply and demand. Lots of people want them, therefore, the price can be elevated to a point where they can keep them in stock, and still sell as many as they want by shutting people out of the market (i.e. the people that can afford a $100 AK kit and not a $700 one)

And on topic, I have both and like both, but the AR's have been more fun for me.

YMMV

WIZZO

I'd love to see someone manufacture every part in that kit for $100.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This is the same guy who doesnt see the point in soft armor and thinks magazines are just fine for protection from pistol rounds. Check out his thread in the tactical gear forum.

Yep. If everyone wants a good laugh they should go take a look at his thread in this thread about why he doesn't see the need for armor plates.

HK416 perfect? I'd like to know where you got that information since you seem to be so sure of it. Before you try to google that information please realize that there are people on this board that were involved in it's testing.

Who's got that pic with the kid sitting on the pile of airsoft?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AKs are for poor people.

www.k-var.com/aks74u.jpg

$699 cheap

That's a pretty dumb reply.  That's KVAR's newest Krink kit, perfectly demillied in a jig, not hand drilled and probably the last of the nicest 5.45s coming into the country.  Besides, those aren't mil-surplus, they are brand new stock!

All I have to say is George Bush doesn't care about AK owners!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What exactly makes the Gas pistion so desirable vs the normal gas system? I would think the piston would add a lot of weight when the normal system works very well as it is... any info anyone?

The argument for a gas piston is that the carbon builds up on the pison, not the bolt.  Simply put, that's about it.  Some claim that makes for easier maintenance or more reliability, but I have yet to see evidence of either claim.

Yeah, cause its sooo tough to pop a pin, scrub the bolt, rub some lube on and throw it back in, IF it gets that much carbon built up in it anyway...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Arsenal =

+1

and where are those pics?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top