Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bushie with recent QA issues.

try "peristent" not "recent".

max windage and loose key bolts have been a problem with them as far back as the end of '98.

Not with mine, but maybe I got a lemon? Eh...no tellin'. Anyway, I have to admit that the Colts do have their perks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:52:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:12:24 AM EDT
[#4]
9/12/05   Bushmaster warratny work
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=250050
My bushmaster is in for some warranty work because it was having extracting problem since I got it. They told me it take about a week before they mail it back once they recieve it.

9/05/05   Problems With a Brand New BushMaster First Time Out!!!!!!!!!!!
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=249259
Oh and now i have a fired round stuck above the bolt and the gun is stuck cant get it out and am really P@#$%d off I just Spent some good money and this is not a verry satisfied customer

9/11/05  Bushmaster AR-15 problem
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=249896
recently bought a Bushmaster M-4 (AR-15) and test fired it today. Initially, firing went fine, then after about 20 rds, I started getting double feeds consisting of the spent case and the next round in the mag.

9/08/05  How often does this happen to your AR Bolt?
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=249537
Notice the crack in the bolt cam pin area circle in green.

7/19/05  Twitchy Bushmaster
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=243841
Bushmaster wouldn't run for crap.

8/18/05  PHOSPHATE IN BORE
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=247249
I RECENTLY RETURNED A NEW 16" BUSHMASTER HEAVY BARREL UPPER BECAUSE THERE WAS A LARGE ROUGH SPOT IN THE BORE NEAR THE MUZZLE. I TALKED TO BUSHMASTER AND THEY SAID IT WAS PHOSPHATE IN THE BORE FROM WHEN THE BARREL WAS TREATED

9/06/05  Bushy gouging rounds, will not chamber correctly

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=249291
The rifle came with 20 round mag, if I load up more than 15 rounds the gun will not chamber a round. It jams, like it doesn't have enough strength to push the round out of clip.

8/21/05 Did I Solve my problem
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=247624
First off teh problem was that the bolt would not lock back after the last shot. spent shells would stovepipe and not eject all the way. if they did eject, then it would not load a new round and i would have to charge the gun again to load the next round.

9/25/05  ...shoot high and to the right
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=251481
I have a Bushy 14.5 flattop 1in 9 twist upper that I shoot high and to the right. I have to adjust the rear sight all the way left to be reasonably close on paper.

6/06/05  My Bushmaster 20 in problem
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=239124
I have been having problems with my new Bushmaster A3 20 inch. I bought it brand new from a gun store and took it to the range a few weeks ago to sight it in. After a few shots I found the the bullets were hitting 2 feet off target at 50 yards.

[edit: typo]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:15:43 AM EDT
[#5]
With the Colt you can be assured you will get a quality product that is good enough for our troops and it will perform when you need it to. With the Bushy you get a gun that will probably do ok and will shoot nearly as well. But  the lemon factor is there with Bushy and other non Colt guns with Colt you can be sure. Thats a good feeling.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:23:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:26:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What the Colt has that the Bushy doesn't

Correct Feedramps
MP and Shot Peened Bolt
Correct forged buffer tube
Park under the FSB
Correct hight sights

What the Bushy has that the Colt doesn't

Mil-spec hammer and trigger pins
RDIAS ready

Those reason alone is enough to get the bushy.
The colt has a good name but I hear that is run by antigunners.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:33:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even worse the owner is an Iracky.

I thought that was an internet rumour

I've even heard of stories where Colt's owned by a Jew.

heard them talk about it on 1911forum a while back.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:48:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No one's mentioned yet that the Colt has non-spec size fire control pins.  Makes in more difficult to find replacements in the case of breakage or desire to add match trigger .  Other than that, the Colt has several advantages to the Bushmaster (mp testing, 1:7 twist, M4 feedramps)  If it was me, I'd buy the Colt for $1k, but any more than that, and you're better off with the Bushie and spending the surplus funds on mags and ammo.

Good sound advice....Listen to him.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:20:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:30:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even worse the owner is an Iracky.

Oh, those "wacky 'racky's"

that is priceless.

oh, and Colts has a lifetime warranty (But thats Colts lifetime..... not yours...)

and lastly..............

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:34:36 AM EDT
[#13]
If you dont get it at that price, you'll stay awake at night kicking yourself in ass!
You'll be telling your friends:
I could have had a Colt (yeah right)but, I used the extra money on a (new purse for my wife to hold my balls) or ______(insert object)

Just kidding, buy it and don't look back.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:56:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Build your own, and save the extra 400 bucks on other stuff.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:23:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Tagged
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:45:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Will Colt honor their warranty on a Law Enforcement rifle that was sold to a civilian, against their policy?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:48:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Tagged for later.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:50:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Will Colt honor their warranty on a Law Enforcement rifle that was sold to a civilian, against their policy?

Yes.  Colt never had a policy for not selling the LE line to civilians after the AWB.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:00:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Are there any benefits of having the Colt over the Bushmaster?

What are they?

1:7 twist    
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[edit: typo]

thanks for the cut and paste f2

no worries.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's some great reading on Colt for you fans....

Click

Here's my favorite part....

"In 1994 the assets of Colt were purchased by Zilkha & Co, a financial group owned by Donald Zilkha. Zilkha's finacial backing of the company, combined with his connections to the Democratic party, enable Colt to begin winning back military contracts. Profits from these contracts were to be used to again attempt to regain their share of the civilian market, but it was not to be."

"During a 1998 newspaper interview, CEO Ron Stewart stated that he would favor additional gun control at the federal level. This, in combination with the growing revalations of Zilkha's ties to anti-gun factions of the Democratic party, led to a massive grass-roots boycott of Colt's products and ultimately to the resignation of Ron Stewart. Zilkha replaced Stewart with Steven Sliwa and focused the remainder of Colt's handgun design efforts into "smart guns", a concept which was favored politically but had little interest or support among handgun owners. This research never produced any meaningful results."

Yup they are the good guys.... LOL.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Even better reading....

Click

"Colt's Caught Red-Handed Donating to Charles Schumer's Campaign Fund"

"We are reliably informed that Colt's is spending huge sums to develop and market a so-called "smart gun". This gun will not fire unless a special bracelet is worn. Self-defense will be impossible without the special bracelet. The actions of Colt's officials are detrimental to American-style freedoms and liberties. "

You Colt guys gunna start a picture post thread of your "special bracelets"....lol.

What does the Colt LE6920 have that the Bushmaster XM15 doesnt?

Some day a "special bracelet"

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#24]
FWIW, I talked not long ago with a national, justifiably well known, firearms instructor, who will go un named. I consider him to be on the top tier. He was kind enough to answer all my questions at the time.

The most reliable weapons on line were Colt, Rock River Arms, and, interestingly, the Les Baer.
(you can spend a half day reading on this group about how over priced the Les Baer's are but I am simply reporting here).  

I chose a RRA (through RB Precision) and have not looked back.  

There are pros and cons to ALL of these rifles, Colts, Bushies, RRA, LBs, Deer, etc,  included.  

My recommendation:  Pick a basically good one. Learn to shoot it, and to fix it.  If you still like it after a year, buy another one just like it.  If it sucks, pick another and move on.  Do think about company longevity and policies, specs (big or small pins), barrel steel (4140 v 4150), twist, chrome or not, interoperability (mixing parts), etc, etc. (Guys, what did I miss??)

I chose the RRA because of reliability, parts availability, interoperability (CMT manfufacture), cost and dealer service.  There are other good choices: I chose according to my needs.

Lots of ways to make a good choice, many more ways to make a bad one.

Ain't this fun?!  Good Luck!

Regards,

Rick
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Click

Ok, that has zero to do with my LE6920 or Series 70 Government model.

Quoted:
Even better reading....
Click

Also zero to do with my Colts.  I don't see your point.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:58:48 AM EDT
[#26]
f2,

Negative1's point was, I think, to point out some of the issues with Colt's politics, and to point out that all politics are local.  

Meaning, some people don't patronize Colt because they believe they have ethics that are counter to basic 2nd Amendment Rights.  

I like Colt products, true thing.  I don't like their politics and haven't bought their product in recent era.  They still make a great (usually) product.  

YMMV.

And you thought you were just comparing products!!

Rick

PS  I agree with f2
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:50:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Colt never had a policy for not selling the LE line to civilians after the AWB.

Did colt stop stamping military and leo only on the LE6920?  

If not then that's something that new colts would have that new Bushmasters don't.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:55:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:37:16 AM EDT
[#29]
As with anything (take the great chevy v ford debate for example) you will always find some horror story about so-and-so's product X..... My friends RRA shoots 12+" to the right at 25 yds (which does not make all RRA product crap)... my colt pivot pin is a screw (which does not affect the operation of the rifle).... my bushmaster is purple (which is not the case anymore if you care to research that) (which may appear to be purple when viewed in the subdued light of the gun safe and not out in the woods).

I think the question was wether or not, purchase a colt LEO for $1000...... I say go for it, as the price differential is not so great as to make that big a deal.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:52:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Well I had decided on an XM15 for my new rifle but I can get a NIB LE6920 for $1000 from a friend.

What are they?

I tried to search but didnt come up with anything, so dont lash me too hard.:)

Alot less sales.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:30:11 AM EDT
[#31]
To answer your question, only you can decide which gun is better for you.  Putting the entire Chevy vs. Ford crap aside, any reputable brand – in this case Colt or Bushmaster – is a fine weapon that will meet 95% of any shooter’s needs.  The other 5% is purely personal and you have to weigh the small differences between the brands and make the decision that suits you.  Ignore the crap about lemons, because any mass produced item will have a small percentage of lemons and all three manufacturers will be happy to help you out.  

If you want the AR that is as close to what most of the military is using (without going class 3), then buy a Colt and show off your M4 feed ramps to everyone at the range.  The price is good and Colts hold their value a bit better in my experience.  

If you want to drop your RDIAS into the gun without any milling, then buy the Bushmaster and some extra mags and ammo with the money you save.  

Don’t loose sleep on this - keep in mind you are dropping a grand on a rifle, not hundreds of thousands on something like a house.  The differences between the two brands are very small and are only recoginized by fellow gun nuts.  If you are like most of us, you will end up owning a Colt and a Bushy in a few years.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Alot less sales.

+1
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#34]
While my RRA came from the factory very well finished, and has been very reliable, there are a few things I don't like with my current set up and have on the"looking for a better fix" list:

1) The YHM flip up front sight (non factory), while very effective, uses a clamping system rather than the roll pins.  I have it adjusted and locktited, and check it pre and post usage, but it is a potential weak link. Pins better than clamps better than set screws, I get it.

2) The firing pin retaining pin is hard to replace, as pointed out by f2's reference.  An easy enough fix, I suppose, but still an item 2 years after f2's reference from '03. I use needle nosed tweezers to help me. I thought this was just "an AR thing" but guess not.

3) Rear collapsible stock not staked.  Locktite OK, actually, I think.  The original staking was a mechanical fix appropriate to the technology, but current locktite real good.  I defer to the machinists and armorers on this (?Dano, Tweak, others, Comments?)

4) I put my EoTech on with GGG accucam and like it so far.  The single machine bolt comment from f2's reference is a valid one.  I'll let you know in 10K rounds.

Having said all that, I will probably next buy a RRA AR15 in 9mm for some degree of interoperability but am not sure yet.  My local range allows pistol caliber rifles indoors, and I like that.  We get a lot of rain in the winter in Oregon.

I really like Colts, and may buy my 9mm in Colt.  I have seen some pretty shoddy work from them recently, though, so would want to see and test before buying.  I do not like their hypocritical (in my own opinion) 2nd amendment position, but understand the logic of it.  I have been following this Colt thing, mostly on the handgun side, for 30 years so have some idea of the history involved.  I honestly think it is very reasonable for people to come down on different sides on this.

Also, I must confess, I don't understand triggers in the AR for squat.  BUT, I really, really, really like the RRA 2 stage, Actually a handgun trigger in a rifle.  Me gusta. No question about when that puppy's gonna let off. The issue is, I believe, that you have to have a concept of sight alignment, trigger control, and follow through for a 2 stage.  I am happy to be educated.  Didn't the MI Garand and the M14/M1A1 have 2 stage triggers?

Good discussion.

Regards, and Thanks,

Rick (Fan of the Mighty Mouse AR15)

PS  Has anybody ever seen a split Colt bolt?  I haven't, but Bushy seems to be having issues with this right now.  I am still learning the details of this weapons platform.  Who makes Bushy bolts?  Is it the bolt or a headspace thing or what?

I'm looking forward to Sully's armorer school in Wa early next year to learn more.  (Oregon Hometown forum)
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
What the Colt has that the Bushy doesn't

Correct Feedramps
MP and Shot Peened Bolt
Correct forged buffer tube
Park under the FSB
Correct hight sights

What the Bushy has that the Colt doesn't

Mil-spec hammer and trigger pins
RDIAS ready

+1 you will probably never ever know the difference, but I would personally jump on the Colt for that price, otherwise I would go with the Bushy
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Last post:  

OK, I got side tracked counting angels on a pin head.

For $1,000 buy the Colt.

(Look at it closely first)

Rick

Doh!

EOM
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#37]

COLT has a horse with balls, no quality control issues and character...

Bushmaster has a snake... Well, no body likes snakes...  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#38]
What is a "MP" bolt?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#39]
MP = Magnetic Particle Inspection (similar to Magnaflux) and Proof Load Firing has been performed...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AR deficiencies

ah yes, a blast from the past

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

COLT has a horse with balls, no quality control issues and character...

Bushmaster has a snake... Well, no body likes snakes...  

That must be why the Colt Python, Anaconda, and King Cobra were such a flop.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Its funny, because as I'm reading this, there's a thread on page 1 about a guy asking if Bushmaster will take his rifle back because he's not satisfied... funny I haven't heard that about a Colt.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well I had decided on an XM15 for my new rifle but I can get a NIB LE6920 for $1000 from a friend.

What are they?

I tried to search but didnt come up with anything, so dont lash me too hard.:)

Alot less sales.

And alot less Return Authorizations.  In fact, I heard that Bushmaster is putting a book of RMA's in the case with every rifle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
And alot less Return Authorizations.  In fact, I heard that Bushmaster is putting a book of RMA's in the case with every rifle.

I heard Bushmaster bought stock in UPS, so they could try and recoup some of the money they burn shipping rifles back after "fixing" them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:18:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:18:15 AM EDT
[#47]
As the DEA tests prove, both Colt and Bushmaster have given up quality in favor of volume.  RRA is the only AR that is worthy of purchase, Colt and Bushmaster have fallen behind.  Its sad that these companies are riding only on their reputations, rather than delivering on them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:06:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:17:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
BFI didn't enter the DEA testing and COLT won a larger portion of the contract than RRA did.

Didnt like 19 companies take part in the DOJ trials. Cant imagine Busmaster wouldnt join the party and not even try to score such a big contract.

Also, someone already posted that RRA's award relates to their ability to deliever a number of carbines in a specified time frame. Makes sense. Why would the DOJ pay RRA for carbines that they can deliever. I think a lot of people forget how new and little they are
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:24:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top