AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are now using the trusty SSH, also known as..... the Super Sonic Helix!!!!!

images.hasbro.com/common/images/products/52584_imageMain400.jpg

Didn't Pacino use that in Heat?
BTW, this stupid assed question is making the baby Jesus cry.
ETA:  The military has just started issuing cowbells.  They gave up on rifles for being ecologically unsound.

Thats nice!!!

I guess I should have been more specific with my questions (to avoid being flamed), cause you guys think this is a big joke.  
Do you guys KNOW what the guys had for guns in WWI?  Do you know the transition the ar15 went through to get to its present day status?
Do you know what different guns the various S.W.A.T agencies throughout the country use?
Plenty of jokes and dumb pictures of 'squirt guns' came of this legitimate question(probably from the ones who dont know the answers).

If you think this is such a stupid ass question lets see you answer it correctly and then we will see if your baby jesus is crying!

Yes I am a newbie to YOUR ar15.com forum, No this is not a school project, No I am not a newbie to forums, No I have not read EVERY single thread and page on this forum.  Yes I would like to start up a conversation about the ar15 and what agencies use it in the USA and how it has 'changed' over the years.

So why don't you do some reading on the site and get some answers for yourself. All the info is here for you to read. This question is absolutely ridiculous because the information is right here for you to read, yet you ask us this absolutely newbish question anyway.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range.

This is the new polar phased plasma pistol (28.3 watts)

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You would still be comparing apples and oranges. or like the example above, your asking for what kind of tractor-trailers are driven but you mean what kind of cars. A gun is not man portable. A rifle is. In more modern terms and I'll use pictures again.

GUN
www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m-110a2-dvic496.jpg

Rifle/Weapon
www.colt.com/mil/images/M16.jpg

Get it?

I'm with you, but that point is so lost on him as evidenced by his posts that I wasn't even going to try to address that issue.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Check this site for U.S. military small arms.

Joe

Try  This Link

Or you can check out the link below, ghost. It is one of the better references for military arms

globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/

Consider the hazing by the guys your initiation.

And, welcome to the site!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#5]
btt
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.americanlongrifles.com/images/rifle_logo2.jpg

The Kentucky Long Rifle is still the preferred rifle for all US Armed forces.

~NewbieDave

LMAO
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#7]

What the hell my nephew has one of those. Did he inlist and not tell me
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm just replying to up my post count...
J/K!  Are you new to this country?  I see your in PA, but have you been in the U.S. long?  I'm just asking because the way you put "the USA military", and the rest of the wording in your first question.

Maybe your just not familiar with all the terms used to describe the U.S. Military, or Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, or the like.

It's okay not to know these terms, just let us know your not familiar so we can break it down a little better for you, and give us a chance to educate you on some of the terms we use, so you can use them later.  If we know your uneducated about the topic your speaking of, we won't be so crude.

Your question should have been worded more like this:

Please forgive me in advance, as I'm not too familiar with the terms you use for the topic I am trying to gather information on.  Could you give me some information on the types of rifles used by the U.S. military from WWI to present?  What rifles are most commonly used by S.W.A.T.?  Thanks!

This wording would have produced better results.  Think of what your trying to say before posting.  If your having trouble, try to let everyone know that before posting random questions.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Btt
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
m24 shooter...its kinda funny because some of the google searchs bring me too this website and you tell me to go back to google...kinda reminds of the runaround I get at the DMV!
And if asked what car they drive in the us well it would be the BIG 3 of course chevy, ford and chrysler...duh.
Sorry my post looked like it came from a 13 year old!

Thanks for the warm welcome and  the 'communication" lesson on how this forum works!
I will get the lingo eventually ....once you guys get all your slamming on the newbie done.   (and I have 10000posts)

O.K., newbie, posts vague, weird poorly worded question, then when guys start trying to have a little fun with it, starts replying, preaching, pissing and moaning about how we are slamming the newbie cause he don't have 10000 posts ?!?

I mean, you don't wade into a forum like this and start off criticizing and trying to change the culture before you even make an attempt to read up or try to understand what's going on here.

I'm sorry, but I'm calling this one
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]
And just FYI if you ever come back and read this post.

Its not your original comment that kept everyone going.  There would have been some BS like there was fro a few posts, some people would have gotten laughs, then someone would have really posted an answer to your question.

It was your responses that made it 10 time worse then it could have been.  Just adding fuel to the fire.

If you do decide to stay, welcome.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Someone is gaffing off their homework.

Hey you never know...I might have lots to offer here!

I once saw an ak47 keep fireing even after there was a jammed spent round in it!

You is so write!  I are way more educaited now!  People who soot wepons that is jammed a;ready is wheeey  inteligenter  than I are!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#13]

here ya go. And now you know
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Lady Jay is SOOOO hot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Lady Jay is SOOOO hot.

hi definition tv shows her blemmishes... poor skin...really...

but if i was a cartoon character i'd hit it anyway...
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lady Jay is SOOOO hot.

hi definition tv shows her blemmishes... poor skin...really...

but if i was a cartoon character i'd hit it anyway...

Yeah, but look at that A...
UG!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range.

shhhh your supposed to have top secret clearance!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
www.ybfree.com/13GIJOE.jpg

here ya go. And now you know hr

and knowing is half the battle! edit:  i'm a dumbass that doesn't know how to quote
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I have not laughed so hard in weeks!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm pretty sure the U.S. military is using sticks and stones to break the bones of primitive radical Islamic extremeists.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:42:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Lady Jay is SOOOO hot.

Not lady Jaye, that is Scarlett.  Noob!

ETA: This is Lady Jaye

Scarlett:

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:41:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lady Jay is SOOOO hot.

Not lady Jaye, that is Scarlett.  Noob!

ETA: This is Lady Jaye

www.myuselessknowledge.com/joe/lj.gifwww.yojoe.com/filecard/85joes/ladyjaye.jpg

Scarlett:

www.yojoe.com/filecard/82joes/scarlett.jpgwww.myuselessknowledge.com/joe/scarlettbigwhite.gif

You are RIGHT!  Man, I'll just start pushing right now...don't wait to long before you tell me to stop.  My only defense is that it's been at least 15 years since I played with my GI Joes.  

Don't worry, won't even ask how you came to find the file cards online like that...

And, just to tie this back into the orginal thread so we don't get accused of hijacking this delicious thread...despite the appearance of the Steyr AUG in Scarlett's hands, it has not to my knowldge been used by the USA Military.  But, it has been rumored to be in use with the S.W.A.T.

Finally, I still think she's hot...whatever her name or the condition of her plastic complexion.

ETD because i've forgotten how to do simple math.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Did it say come here and post an insanely vaugue question?  Or did you take that on yourself?
Big 3?  Yup, don't see any Toyotas, Hondas, Rolls, BMWs, Mercs, Internationals, or other cars.
You're not bothering us, you just need to learn how to ask a question and when and how to do a search.
Stay, go, I don't care.  That's up to you.  Spare us the "Goodbye, cruel world" posts though.  And I didn't pay any attention to your post count or start date when I read you post.

You would still be comparing apples and oranges. or like the example above, your asking for what kind of tractor-trailers are driven but you mean what kind of cars. A gun is not man portable. A rifle is. In more modern terms and I'll use pictures again.

GUN

Rifle/Weapon

That is not a gun that is a howitzer, the last gun in use by ground forces was the M107, the only people still using guns is the Navy with their 5x54 and 5x62 Naval Gun Mounts.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:28:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#25]
hmmm....
well this is what I have learned so far.
1. try not to sound like a newbie even if you are.
2. Spend alot more time reading before posting a question
3. There are many versions of the m16...not sure where the ar15 fits in yet.
4. we all have too much time on our hands.

You guys are tough!

Lemme try this again...
Since I am new to the world of ar15's and this website and am too lazy to read through EVERY page of this forum(I have read many and still have not gotten my answers)
What rifles are currently used by the army, navy, marines, airforce.
Who makes them?>>>Colt, Bushmaster>>>I donno?
How is the ar15 and m16 related?
Thanks for your help and I am real excited there is such a place to learn about ar15's.

I belong to this one website forum (since the begining) and I always hate it when a newbie comes and asks a question and everyone is so quick to say use the 'search' function, or 'google it' when usually its just a simple question requireing a simple answer.  I mean if a forum was just an encyclopdeia of information there would be no more new posts except yearly updates.
Remember @10 years ago forums as we know them today did not exist.
I think we all like the interaction with others instead of just 'googling'!

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:14:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
hmmm....
well this is what I have learned so far.
1. try not to sound like a newbie even if you are.
2. Spend alot more time reading before posting a question
3. There are many versions of the m16...not sure where the ar15 fits in yet.
4. we all have too much time on our hands.

You guys are tough!

Lemme try this again...
Since I am new to the world of ar15's and this website and am too lazy to read through EVERY page of this forum(I have read many and still have not gotten my answers)
What rifles are currently used by the army, navy, marines, airforce.
Who makes them?>>>Colt, Bushmaster>>>I donno?
How is the ar15 and m16 related?
Thanks for your help and I am real excited there is such a place to learn about ar15's.

I belong to this one website forum (since the begining) and I always hate it when a newbie comes and asks a question and everyone is so quick to say use the 'search' function, or 'google it' when usually its just a simple question requireing a simple answer.  I mean if a forum was just an encyclopdeia of information there would be no more new posts except yearly updates.
Remember @10 years ago forums as we know them today did not exist.
I think we all like the interaction with others instead of just 'googling'!

lets see
Marines:M16A4,M4A1
Army: M16A2,M4A1
AirForce: Almost every M16 variant out there except for maybe the M16A4
Navy:M16A2 excluding the SEALs

Currently FN makes the M16A2 and M16A4. Colt makes the M4A1. Colt used to make everything. and Bushmaster made like 100 M4s back in the 90s.

the AR15 and M16 are almost identical.
For comparsons sake lets look at the A2 model

The AR does no have the Auo sear pin hole and doesn't have the reciever milled out to except the M16 burst fire trigger group  basicly the only difference is the AR15 is semi auto (pull the trigger and it fires one shot) and the M16 is full auto( pull the trigger and the gun will contenue to fire as long as the trigger is pulled).
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:16:28 AM EDT
[#27]
alos please read here
www.ar15.com/content/
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#28]

AND SOME BOTD, compliments of COBRA

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quick answers to your 3 questions:
1. There are several rifles, carbines and shotguns used by the military (all branches), but more than 90% of the weapons used are variants of the M16.
2. They are made by a number of contractors - Colt being the #1 supplier.
3. AR-15's are civilian versions of the various M16 configurations.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#30]
I didn't think that was lady jay either, but i was too lazy to correct, and woulda felt stupid if i woulda been wrong.

Well, theghost, off the top of my head:

Marines CURRENTLY use:

M16A2 (AND VARIANTS)
M4 CARBINE (AND VARIANTS)
M9 PISTOL
1911 PISTOL
MEU (SOC) PISTOL
M203 GENADE LAUCHER
MP-5N SUB MACHINE GUN
M249 SAW (SQUAD AUTOMATIC WEAPON)
M240B MACHINE GUN
M240G MACHINE GUN
M2 .50 CAL MACHINE GUN
REMINGTON 870 SHOTGUN
HK (BENELLI) M4 SHOTGUN
MK19 40MM HEAVY MACHINE GUN (OR AUTOMATIC GRENADE LAUCHER WHICH EVER YOU PREFER)
M24 SNIPER RIFLE
M40A1 SNIPER RIFLE
M40A3 SNIPER RIFLE
M82A1 SASR (SPECIAL APPLICATION SCOPED RIFLE)
M14
DMR (DESIGNATED MARKSAN'S RIFLE)
M25 SNIPER RIFLE
M60 MACHINE GUN
AT4 ROCKET LAUCHER
SMAW (SHOULDER LAUCHED MAULTI PURPOSE ASSAULT WEAPON
LAW (LIGHT ANTI-TANK WEAPON)

I'm sure there are other's I'm forgetting, but I just work on jets, so I don't get to see these everyday.  I may do a lateral move into small arms technition though, so it's good i kinda know some of the weapons...

To answer another one of your questions, the AR-15 is the designation for the original rifle that the military adopted.  They changed the name to M16 only because the military designates just about everything with an M in front of it.  Over the years, the rifles sold to civilians have been called AR-15's, even though many clearly have a different name stamped on them.  They are and will always be, AR-15's to us, as it's a universal name everyone is familiar with.  The only major difference between the M16 and AR-15 is one is made civilian legal, the other is made for military use.  Most of the M16's in service are Colt, but occasionally, you'll see other brands out there, FN comes to mind...
Hope some of this helps.  The more knoweledgable might help you out if I missed anything.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#31]

That is not a gun that is a howitzer, the last gun in use by ground forces was the M107, the only people still using guns is the Navy with their 5x54 and 5x62 Naval Gun Mounts.

I knew there would be someone along to dispute that. First week of basic at Ft. Sill, they rolled the 8" out and held up an M-16. Over the loud speaker to all 200 of us, they said "this is your weapon", and pulled the trigger of the -16. Then they said, "this is a gun," and fired the 8" at a target about 3 miles max directly in front of us. Then they said, "do not call your weapon a gun, clearly it is not a gun".You could track the round downrange, no arc, or you couldn't percieve it anyhow. Therefore, howitzers can be used as gun in the direct support role, though is designed for indirect.

Now to esplain the differnce for our black rifle lovers out there. a howitzer is a high velocity, long range, weapon that uses a parabolic arc in the delivery of ordinance. A gun, as I elluded to above, uses a flat trajectory in the delivery of its ordinance, and is intended for direct support. At least this is what I was taught at FATC. I'm sure there is someone out there with oodles more think power than I have on this subject.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Do you not see the problem with this country.

No, I don't.  This country is the greatest country ever, and will remain that way.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#34]
BravoSierra

I refer back to my days as a Gunnery Instructor at the FAS, at one time the sole determinate if a cannon was a Gun, Howitzer or Mortar was tube length, normally 29 calibers greater, and had a limited charge system were Guns, less than 29,  had a variable charge system and used a carriage that allow super elevation were howitzers, those under 15 and had a carriage that prevented direct fire were mortars.  However today it’s not so clear cut since there is a cross over between the various and you will hardly find a howitzer with a tube less than 30 calibers.  Since that cross over point has occurred, howitzers can fill both the role of a gun and a howitzer so guns have really faded from most services, the M107 being the last in US service.      
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I didn't think that was lady jay either, but i was too lazy to correct, and woulda felt stupid if i woulda been wrong.

Marines CURRENTLY use:

M16A2 (AND VARIANTS) M16A4
SAM-R
M4 CARBINE (AND VARIANTS) M4A1
M9 PISTOL
1911 PISTOL  The only 1911s still in use are MEUSOCs and the ICQB Pistol
MEU (SOC) PISTOL
M203 GENADE LAUCHER
MP-5N SUB MACHINE GUN Not used anymore, even the MP SRTs have traded them in for M4s
M240B MACHINE GUN  Army variant, Marine Corps has the "G"
M240G MACHINE GUN
M2 .50 CAL MACHINE GUN
REMINGTON 870 SHOTGUN
HK (BENELLI) M4 SHOTGUN
Mossberg 500/590s, mainly used for less-than-lethal applications due to the cylinder-bore
MK19 40MM HEAVY MACHINE GUN (OR AUTOMATIC GRENADE LAUCHER WHICH EVER YOU PREFER)
M24 SNIPER RIFLE  No, Army only
M40A1 SNIPER RIFLE
M40A3 SNIPER RIFLE
M82A1 SASR (SPECIAL APPLICATION SCOPED RIFLE)  Most have been traded in for M82A3s a few years ago.
M14   The only M14s used in the Marine Corps are DMRs.
M25 SNIPER RIFLE  Uhhh, no, whatever this is.
M60 MACHINE GUN  Long gone
AT4 ROCKET LAUCHER

I'm sure there are other's I'm forgetting, but I just work on jets, so I don't get to see these everyday.  I may do a lateral move into small arms technition though, so it's good i kinda know some of the weapons...

To answer another one of your questions, the AR-15 is the designation for the original rifle that the military adopted.  They changed the name to M16 only because the military designates just about everything with an M in front of it.  Over the years, the rifles sold to civilians have been called AR-15's, even though many clearly have a different name stamped on them.  They are and will always be, AR-15's to us, as it's a universal name everyone is familiar with.  The only major difference between the M16 and AR-15 is one is made civilian legal, the other is made for military use.  Most of the M16's in service are Colt, but occasionally, you'll see other brands out there, FN comes to mind...
Hope some of this helps.  The more knoweledgable might help you out if I missed anything.

Pretty good list, but I made some corrections for you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Marines CURRENTLY use:

M16A2 (AND VARIANTS) M16A4
SAM-R
M4 CARBINE (AND VARIANTS) M4A1
M9 PISTOL
1911 PISTOL  The only 1911s still in use are MEUSOCs and the ICQB Pistol
MEU (SOC) PISTOL
M203 GENADE LAUCHER
MP-5N SUB MACHINE GUN Not used anymore, even the MP SRTs have traded them in for M4s
M240B MACHINE GUN  Army variant, Marine Corps has the "G"
M240G MACHINE GUN
M2 .50 CAL MACHINE GUN
REMINGTON 870 SHOTGUN
HK (BENELLI) M4 SHOTGUN
Mossberg 500/590s, mainly used for less-than-lethal applications due to the cylinder-bore
M24 SNIPER RIFLE  No, Army only
M40A1 SNIPER RIFLE
M40A3 SNIPER RIFLE
M82A1 SASR (SPECIAL APPLICATION SCOPED RIFLE)  Most have been traded in for M82A3s a few years ago.
M14   The only M14s used in the Marine Corps are DMRs.
M25 SNIPER RIFLE  Uhhh, no, whatever this is.
M60 MACHINE GUN  Long gone
AT4 ROCKET LAUCHER

Pretty good list, but I made some corrections for you.

Like I said, I'm a jet mechanic.  Those are just weapons I remember hearing about since i've been in.  I was kinda leary about the mp5, cause i know the MSG use the 9mm M4 (hence the variant that i put).  Some, I migth have gotten confused with some of the Army's weapons, as I try to study up on those as well.  I know I've seena couple m60's somewhere, maybe it was the demo that the recon team did for us when i was in MCT a few years back...  I tried  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:44:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:50:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Just joking with you buddy, it was like 4am, I was posting, and failing at being funny I guess.

You are RIGHT!  Man, I'll just start pushing right now...don't wait to long before you tell me to stop.  My only defense is that it's been at least 15 years since I played with my GI Joes.  

Longer than that for me, lol

Don't worry, won't even ask how you came to find the file cards online like that...

Google, a wonderful, well-known tool,  search "GI Joe."

And, just to tie this back into the orginal thread so we don't get accused of hijacking this delicious thread...despite the appearance of the Steyr AUG in Scarlett's hands, it has not to my knowldge been used by the USA Military.  But, it has been rumored to be in use with the S.W.A.T.

Didn't mean to start a hijack, sorry guys.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just joking with you buddy, it was like 4am, I was posting, and failing at being funny I guess.

Longer than that for me, lol

Google, a wonderful, well-known tool,  search "GI Joe."

Didn't mean to start a hijack, sorry guys.

No worries, I completely took it as a joke, much funny.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top