User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I found that issue, along with about 10 years of other 1980's issues of SOF in a recycling bin about 12 years ago.

I still have them all. :)

OT: I really liked the AK bayonet review/article in the" battle blades" section. Whether you agree with it or not, it was a very fun read.

Scott

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:52:10 AM EDT
[#2]
tag for later viewing
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Purchased a few days before I left for Army basic training in 1985, this Soldier of Fortune magazine has survived  20+ years stashed away in a box of childhood things. What’s really neat and interesting to read, is the article and range report on the Army's, then, soon to be issued M16A2!

Thought you guys might like a few pics. Hope they work out, enjoy!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/SOF2.jpg

Think he has enough finger on the trigger
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Jan 85, I had only been in 5th SFG(A) for a month and still only 19 years old!  
CD

Dang you made it into SF in less than 2 years?

Outstanding. I didnt think it was possible.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Think he has enough finger on the trigger

Well even 20+ years ago the "More thrusts per squeeze" concept was known of!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CD

When I was in infantry school one of the guys in my platoon was already assigned SF, and he could not have been older then 20.  We were both NG, so already had been assigned, while with one other exception all the other guys were 11 X-ray, meaning unassigned.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CD

In the early eighties you could enlist off the streets straight into SF.  Basic, AIT, Jump school and SFQC all back to back.  It took just over a year of consistant training and one broken leg (jump accident Phase III) to become SF qualified.  Summer of 85 was when I went down to Key West and became a Combat Diver.

CD
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#9]
img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/SOF3.jpg

I don't think that is a US Army M16A3 experiment, looks more like some sort of late 60's British experiment.  Plus, take a look at the mag.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
January of 1985, huh?

That was only a year and 4 months before I was born......

You don't feel old, do you

Man that's pretty cool.

WIZZO

Na........I was 18 at the time, and according to Frau Quib I'm still 18!

Crap, I was 19, now I am pushing 40.  Oh well
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/SOF3.jpg

I don't think that is a US Army M16A3 experiment, looks more like some sort of late 60's British experiment.  Plus, take a look at the mag.

Well here is exactly what the magazine had to say. Hope it’s legible.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for posting the text.  Still find the picture suspect, looks British, or possibly a cut n paste picture?  

BTW, same picture is in the back of the Tokoi M16 book.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
doesnt that guys hair look awful long for being in the service?

He's either National Guard(OLD SCHOOL)  or a pencil pusher, either way that is way to long.

In the article Pete said that he had assistants help him with the 6,000 round test, including one of his sons.  This is one of them.  He also said that they had 24 magazine related bolt-over-base malfunctions in the test.  I wonder how reliable it would have been with the MagPul followers.  Had more than one CO invent ways to "prevent soldiers from f--king around with the rear sights".  I even had one CO in Berlin make the unit armorer put all the rear sights in the center for an inspection by the DBC (Deputy Brigade Commander).  We wrote down how many clicks left or right we moved them so that we could undo his "fix".  On the whole, I liked the A2 over the A1, but others did not like the length of pull.  Got rid of my COLT A2 years ago and ended up building a M-4gery.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#15]
This is a great thread, thanks for sharing.

I got my Colt AR-15A2 HBAR when they first came out.

I was the first guy who used it at my local DCM (CMP now) match that year.

I used that match to get my M1 Garand. My HBAR was already broken in with 600+ rounds without FTF but I had two FTF in prone position which I quickly cleared and completed those stages.

Should have used 62 gr. but only had 55 gr. ammo but I ranked 20th place out of 400 shooters that weekend.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I believe that the M16A2 Colt is presenting to General Carson above is 8000001.
I was there with the General (flew up in his plane).  I delivered the rifle to Weapons Training Battalion at Quantico, VA. where it (I believe) resides today.

For another interseting history perspective, check out the March 1996 issue of Machine Gun News, page 24-29.

I also think the rifle in the Andy Tilman article that started this topic was one I had at Quantico at the time.  I hosted him several times there for several articles he did during that period.  However, I don't recall the guy with the hair?  The scope is actually one we were experimenting with (I have pictures of it on an early flat-top as well), and yes, that is an early ARMS mount, one of the first ones that were loaned to the USMC by Dick Swan.  Also of interest in those days was Dick's PVS-4 Throw-Lever Mounts.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Cool!

I graduated high school in 1984.  

I bought my first AR (a slightly used Colt SP1) in the summer of 85' for $350.  

Wish I still had it!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top