Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#1]
As in this caes, if the water starts to rise at your home and you have to leave, question?

Is your shtf  ammo waterproof?
How much ammo that you have stock piled can or would you take?
Would a AR 15/10 owner, gun permit holder  have to surrender thier arms while minimal law enforcement is available?
Would you surrender regardless of your constitutional rights?
Do we know when you no longer have that right, ie 911 or current scenario?

Finally, is what we all prepare for (shtf) geared more towards defence of country scenario when the goverment calls "all hands on deck" to everyone in defence this country?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I guess these are the Zombies that everyone keeps refering to. I agree that I understand food and water and I think business owners understand that to a degree. 1 pair of shoes?Maybe. But it is nuts down there. If gas keeps going up I see people getting really crazy everywhere though.

True enough. Gas is already up to $5.00 for regular in some areas of states hit the hardest. This could spread really easy and create chaos in all 50 states. I'm loading up on ammo this weekend. Desperate people do desperate things, and I dont negotiate with looters or vandals.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Gas here around Pittsburgh Pennsylvania was $3.00 this morning, this afternoon, it is $3.19... We are fortunate that it hasn't risen to $5.00 like some places...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
They should have gotten the fuck out like the mayor, the governor, and every other civil authority told them to

since they chose to risk it, they must deal with the time it takes to get emergency help to them

Who didn't hear that New Orleans was likely to be a bowl of soup if hit by a major hurricane?

Everyone did!!.......especially if you lived in New Orleans

Fug 'em
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#5]
if we were in the same situation why would you surrender any firearm?I have been reading of this.is this happening?I have a 6 month old baby girl and just thinking of what if this was me freaks me out.and I am telling everyone now ,I absolutely will not be stealing dvd players shoes or anything else.my family would need food water and shelter.but my guns will be attached to me ,a pistol and my bushy, and if you want them you will have to take them.I do no evil but I will not take any.so where is the surrender firearms coming from?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I thought these might be appropriate....
img66.imageshack.us/img66/452/42157339538pj.jpg
img376.imageshack.us/img376/7822/42157345529uu.jpg
img376.imageshack.us/img376/6951/42157351137lk.jpg
img376.imageshack.us/img376/2078/42157286368je.jpg
img195.imageshack.us/img195/6935/42157292818zw.jpg

What's sad is in that last picture, if you replaced thier blues with a set of 3-colors and some LB gear you'd never know they were here and not in Iraq.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They should have gotten the fuck out like the mayor, the governor, and every other civil authority told them to

since they chose to risk it, they must deal with the time it takes to get emergency help to them

Who didn't hear that New Orleans was likely to be a bowl of soup if hit by a major hurricane?

Everyone did!!.......especially if you lived in New Orleans

Fug 'em

Your logic is confusing me? Please help me out with a question I have concerning the evacuation of those cities and states... How would those that have no dependable transportation leave their homes, also, where would all of those people go if they all had transportation, and if they all would evacuate those cities and flood into their neighboring states, where would they all be housed?

ETA: New Orleans is now a giant lake, those that did evacuate have no homes to come back to...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#8]
looters will be shot on the spot. They should've stock up on food and supplies no need to loot
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
if we were in the same situation why would you surrender any firearm?I have been reading of this.is this happening?I have a 6 month old baby girl and just thinking of what if this was me freaks me out.and I am telling everyone now ,I absolutely will not be stealing dvd players shoes or anything else.my family would need food water and shelter.but my guns will be attached to me ,a pistol and my bushy, and if you want them you will have to take them.I do no evil but I will not take any.so where is the surrender firearms coming from?

This is a great question that perhaps someone in LEO can chime in on. When Martial law is inacted, or there is a state of lawlesness, and we have our AR's strapped to our packs, can LE confiscate it???????

hmmmmmmmm....

I *might* be able to imagine it..

But after being through several tropical storms and Dennis this year, we just went to Georgia when the storms were 24hours out... BTW, there were curfews inacted in Florida the day Dennis hit. They werent thinking about it a week later before inacting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#10]
When the Military moves in, I think it will be a "you better put it down before we see it or you are shot."  For those familiar with the projects around the French Quarter, it is just a step away from a riot and looting on a good day.  The projects happen to be on fairly high ground so people are branching out.  Time for a little site picture.

Went through 3 hurricanes in FL last year.  Lost power for a week on each one.  No where near the damage, but people worked together and we shared a generator among everyone on each street.  We would let each freezer run for an hour then rotate the generator.  We designated one house to keep the well running for washing each night. (one advantage of the country).

I think it is the chaos issue.  They were expecting a disaster, they should have had a plan to protect the grocery stores etc and use it for the masses.  While writing this, there was a couple on CNN WHINING about being only fed crackers and cold food (with all the water they could drink) at the superdome.  GIVE ME A BREAK.  More of the don't take any responsibility action.  I guess there will be a lawsuit over the checks being late!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Here's the thing: How much ammo do you need? Are we planning for running gun battles of large unit size for several days? Sure, get your black rifle ready, train, train train. Stock pile some good ammo.  Get a back up and some arms for your family. No doubt.

But, I know that the thousand rounds of 5.56 I've got will never be firied in anger no matter how bad things get. Ever. Period. Ten rounds? Maybe. A thirty round mag, if things get unimaginably desperate. So I've got a half dozen mags loaded and a case of strippers and I'm all set.  No more ammo, no more arms.

Katrina has taught me one thing: Instead of more ammo, I'm buying rice and vacuum packing it. I'm getting MREs. I'm getting water jugs and folding water bags. I'm cutting and splitting firewood.  I'm  buying surplus fuel cans and keeping enough diesel and gas on hand to GTFO.  I'm making a plan, not polishing my weapons.

Open your eyes folks, take a lesson. Think of how you will care for yourself and your LOVED ones.

<rant over>

efxguy

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#12]
When it flooded here back in 1999 is what really woke me up. Gas was being rationed and some were gouging on it. Water, bread, and ice were like gold and when there was free water I made sure I was in line for it. Since then I have bought over 17-30rd mags and will now buy at least a case of ammo once I get paid. The bad thing is that the people I work with are the very same types you see on TV looting and causing chaos. They are the very same ones that scream loudest during a bad situation and do nothing to help. They don't give a shit about who loses money during the flood or a bad situation because the government is going to take care of those roaches while you and I the taxpayer foot the bill.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just a little update for you guys...   I fly Patrol-pipeline for Exxon Mobil.  I have been flying my ass off all week and just got back home today, yet still on call and will probably be so for some time.  I spent the last two days in Baton Rouge.  This is what I saw..   I have never seen an airport that busy, it took me 35 minutes just to land, and a hour and a half to get aviation fuel, which was a $4.25 a gallon.  There were fbi, fema, military, and so many charter jet companies I can't list em all, on top of that there were tons of helicopters of all kinds.  Anyway, I got a chance to talk to lots of people.  A game warden sat down next to me at a table and was telling me how is partner had been shot  that morning in their boat by some dudes who tried to STEAL their boat.  He said he shot and killed both of them and just left them floating in the water.  At the other end of my table was a Captain in the Army, from Ft. Hood, Blackhawk pilot.  He told me they have orders not to land in the city because of shots being fired, and told us of one example where a chopper was being shot at, a blackhawk, and the guys returned fire with a SAW... The word is that they are just shooting them now cause it has gotten to that point, prolly why the military is being called in there to try and establish some order.  All of them told me the same thing, that the only people left there are 99% Black, some ederly or stranded people, good people, but most of them are just thugs or bad people.  Also, here is some food for thought on the PROTECT Yourselves subject... The prison in Nola  is empty, and the prisoners are running loose.  I personally was in Shrevreport this morning for fuel and took a taxi into town for lunch, saw two dudes in prison outfits walkin down the street.....  All in all, this situation is much worse than you are seeing on tv.  But I know that my company is doing everthing it can to get the fuel flowing again.  Almost half of the refinerys in nola are Exxon owned.  90% of the oil platforms in the gulf are either destroyed or out of service, and most of the pipelines going from the platforms to nola, and other towns on the coast are also destroyed.  They are now trying to pump the good stuff out of nola to other towns to salvage quite a bit for the fuel hungry public.  And from what I'm being told by company people, the prices are going to keep going up for some time... Sorry this is so long, just wanted to rant.. And to BOWHUNTR6PT, good luck down there and God Bless.

Brent

Wow. I don't even know what to say about that. Stay sharp.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
On Fox this morning they showed some cops looting along with everyone else hey

I think there is an extra hot space in hell reserved for dirty cops.  I have been in police work since 1994 so I can say that.......fyi past 3 years I have only been a reserve cop, bought my own business and quit the full time gig.

I own a Chicken Restaurant.............ChickenKiller haha
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Does it bug anyone else to hear these people biotchin on TV about how bad the food is, how the chair they have to sit on sucks, and what the F$#K are you gonna do for me.  I think 24 hours out they should be praising those who are there to help and being glad to be alive.   I do feel terrible for their loss, but bitching about what help can be provided at this stage doesn't help.  Its easy to say, but I believe my wife and family would be trying to help get everyone through this crap, pool resources, labor and get through it togehter instead of bitching about the chair their fat ass is sitting on.

No problem for me to understand people in a bad situation, but it seems of such poor taste to BLAME the government for not putting them all up at the Hilton.  I believe they will do the best they can and people should be grateful for any outside help.

Maybe its just me sitting cool and comfey in my leather chair unable to grasp what it would really be like.  I just don't see being angry at those who are there to help them get through it.

Think about the folks that are saying this.........they live in Government Projects, get Government Aid, get Government money, heck why shouldn't they expect another hand out.........I know times are tuff, but they are "conditioned" to depend on the Government.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I packed my STG58 today in the truck here in Ohio. I have been living in AZ for the last 8 years or so, and we could pack a rifle in the truck or car with no problems. Not as easy in Ohio.

I have a CCW and it's good in Ohio. I pack my P220 every day. With gas and long lines and all the crap down there in NOLA, I feel better having a rifle near me. I keep it unloaded, but mags are close by. I have packed it in a guitar "gig" bag which is soft-sided and shaped like a guitar. Fits great. I packed clothing aroung it to fill it out, but will make something else to keep the shape.

This is a big concession to me because I don't want have to deal with the cops about it if I get stopped or something. I know it will be a big hassle. Ohio is still pretty anti-gun around here and I doubt they'd understand.

I feel better packing my rifle along with my sidearm.

Who knows if we start getting rioting here if gas stations start running out of gas.

I would pack the M4, but Dayton has an AWB and by definition, the STG is not an AW by thier definition. I kept the brake on the muzzle. Yeah, as if some rookie patrolman would know the difference....

I'm getting concerned about events.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Does it bug anyone else to hear these people biotchin on TV about how bad the food is, how the chair they have to sit on sucks, and what the F$#K are you gonna do for me.

It bugs me too.  Considering the majority of those saying this are from the "Projects" it's a reflection on their "welfare society" lifestyle IMO.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Gas in Oklahoma reached 3.05 today for regular unleaded. Me and my buddie went shooting and were talking about how crazy people will get as gas rises.  These people cant take care of themselves and now they are going crazy.  Having basic survival skills and being able to take charge of situations is what makes the differance. I heard of a guy shooting his sister in the head over a bag of ice. Not even food or water but ice! All you would need to prevent that situation is commen sense. I dont know how many of you saw that show on FX called "Oil Crisis" but this is alot like it. It had a TON of left spin in it but the same kinda stuff happend on it. Kinda erie.
God Bless Our Troops and those working in N.O. area.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#19]
These F*cks in NOLA had PLENTY of warning to get out of there.  They stayed behind to loot.  They should be shot.  When i eventually get back home i will be guarding my damn house like no other.  I will throw on my ghillie suit, grab a tin of skoal and just wait.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:45:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Another picture:

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#21]
The welfare mentality breeds dependence on government aid.  No kidding they're whining like babies, they only know how to suckle at the government's teat.

To hear the pipeline flyer's stories just hammers it home.  To think, military helicopters are firing on US citizens while flying patrol over a (once) major metropolitan city.  Not that I think it's wrong on the part of the door gunner, but the whole situation is horrifying.  Of course, none of it is surprising, just horrifying.  

My wife and I talked for a while last night, too.  However, she just had a tear in her eye as she cuddled up knowing my evac plan and gear were well thought out and had her best interest and safety at heart.  No "rolling the eyes" as she prepared to go make care packages this morning for the refugees here in DFW.    
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Makes me think very seriously. I am reevaluating my ideas on when the SHTF, what do I do and am I prepared. I have been laughing at the various SHIF threads. Now I am NOT. People can act worse than animals. N.O. is a prime example...how bad could it get if there was a terrior attack? I can be ready for reality in short order and will use the holiday week end to do so.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Regarding laying in supplies, is it safe to store a 5-gallon steel Jerry can of gasoline in one's garage where summer temperatures are often 90-95 degrees?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Regarding laying in supplies, is it safe to store a 5-gallon steel Jerry can of gasoline in one's garage where summer temperatures are often 90-95 degrees?

As long as it isn't in direct sunlight it should be fine.  We had a plastic 5-gallon can pop at work this summer when one of the guys left it in the sun all day.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#25]
My roommate told me that Florida's National Guard 3rd Bn (from Tallahassee) was sent to New Orleans.......these guys were in Fallujah, so I hope they mop up these degenerates shooting at people.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I believe there was a certain element that didn't evacuate N.O. on purpose just so they could loot afterwards.
There are too many people in this country that believe and expect the gov't to take care of them and their every need under any and all circumstances.  N.O. proves that we can not count on the Gov't. These people want others to take responsibility for them. Not just talking about N.O. either. They better fucking wake-up.
I also believe that N.O. is just a very small snap shot of what could happen on a larger scale. Think about it for a minute. Suppose terrorists were able to co-ordiante a series of well planned attacks in several large cities at the same time. In those large cities that were hit, they would be in a state of panic and chaos. There would probably be large groups of roving bands of looters and desparate people. Is this possible? N.O. shows us it's quite possible.
Just playing devils advocate here, but things could get real bad real fast. We need to look out for ourselves and be prepared.

On a side note, I believe we just showed terrorists that if they want to hurt us very badly economically,
all they need to do is fly some planes into several oil refineries and maybe a few major coastal oil receiving facilities.
The US is very short in these areas because of the continuous cries of the left about environmental concerns. Don't get me wrong, I am all for protecting the environment. But, I am more concerned about protecting the welfare of our economy and our country.
Sorry if I got a little off topic, but N.O. showed us that some things in this country need to be changed and changed ASAP.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This is a great question that perhaps someone in LEO can chime in on. When Martial law is inacted, or there is a state of lawlesness, and we have our AR's strapped to our packs, can LE confiscate it???????

That's an excellent question that REALLY needs an answer here. How does anyone expect the LE or MP to tell the good from the bad? If they see Joe Citizen walking down the street with his Bushy on his back and two pistols on each hip, is he going to think "Ahh, there's a fine citizen just looking out for his baby daughter!" or is he going to think "THERE'S the guy who robbed the gun store?"

It's a serious question. We all want to protect our families in a SHTF situation but the only guns LE or military police EVER want to see are their own...

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's an excellent question that REALLY needs an answer here. How does anyone expect the LE or MP to tell the good from the bad? If they see Joe Citizen walking down the street with his Bushy on his back and two pistols on each hip, is he going to think "Ahh, there's a fine citizen just looking out for his baby daughter!" or is he going to think "THERE'S the guy who robbed the gun store?"

It's a serious question. We all want to protect our families in a SHTF situation but the only guns LE or military police EVER want to see are their own...

-Stooxie

They may not confiscate the weapons you're carrying...they may shoot your a$$.  Use some common sense.  It that situation, keep your weapons out of sight.  Use them to protect you & yours.  Don't walk down the street showing them off.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I would think that the "laws" are so grey there that it would probably be up to the judgement of the individual officer.  How can they really tell who is who except by appearance and perception?  I think we all need to pray we don't end up in that scenario, period.  I hate to have to shoot it out with LE because they think I am a bad guy, but I would to get back to my family.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would think that the "laws" are so grey there that it would probably be up to the judgement of the individual officer.  How can they really tell who is who except by appearance and perception?  I think we all need to pray we don't end up in that scenario, period.  I hate to have to shoot it out with LE because they think I am a bad guy, but I would to get back to my family.

Agreed, its LEO discretion. Really not unlike the situations our soldiers in southwest asia right now..  But if it were me, I'd be hunting up all the squirrels, rabbits, and nutra, with my AR and having a block barbeque. Of course I'd invite all the LEO types.. Hey, someone has to bring the brewski's
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Here's some info I found on another forum from a guy who went back in to get some of his stuff

Well last night I was watching the 6pm news when they announced the 17th street canal pumps failed as well as another break in the levee. My house is right off St. Charles Ave. and up to 6pm yesterday is was the only part of the city that was dry. Since the pumps failed and the new break St. Charles Ave. would be under 9ft of water in the next 12-15hrs. My brother and I felt if we wanted to save anything we had to leave NOW. We loaded up flashlights, rope, our medical ID's, both our .45 Glocks, 2 shotguns and rode out. En-route we listened to the radio which broad casted all the news about the looters and what not, in hindsight it was a mistake. My mother didn't want us to go by dad who is a Vietnam vet told to be safe and "shoot to kill" if it ever comes to that.

One the way we had to pass 5-6 checkpoints to allow entry into the city. We stated we were medical personnel who were activated, showed our ID and off we went. On the radio reports were coming in about the officer who was shot in the head, the 2 gunman who opened fired on the NOPD station, and how looters were carjacking cars to get out of the city. This started making my brother nervous and giving seconds thoughts.

Anyway we get to the city and it looks like a freaking war zone. The best visual I can give is the movie "Blackhawk Down" when all the Somalians are rushing the city. They are people EVERYWHERE, they are pissed off, and all have weapons, 2X4's, Axes, and guns. If this wasn't bad enough we are 2 white boys in a truck in a sea several hundred armed pissed off blacks. There wasn't a white person to be found. I couldn't get over the little 8-10yr old kids with weapons, I ever saw one carry a claw hammer!

These people were absolutely nuts rammed trucks(stolen I'm sure) in to jewelry stores stealing items, they were tearing apart Wal-Mart carrying out TV's, Playstations, DVD players, etc. One lady was wheeling out an entire rack of merchandise, not sure what it was but sure wasn't clothes for food. They were all laughing and carrying on like it's freaking Christmas.

We got stuck in traffic when we see the group of guys walking down the street w/ AK-47's, at that point the "pucker factor" kicked in, a couple Glocks and shotguns were no match for that. We haul azz trying to get to Uptown when we see these people chopping down the front door w/ an axe of this $4-5 million dollar mansion on ST. Charles Ave. I was just in total awe because it was so surreal. Making matters worse it's 11pm at night there is no electricity and you really can see anything or anyone until they are right up on you.

Our plan was to be in and out in 30min, this included putting his Harley on the trailer. It would have taken me 5-10min tops to get my stuff, all I wanted was my pictures from college, my clothes/shoes, and my computer tower. Well he got scared saying we are going to get jumped while putting the bike on the trailer. Keep in mind this is the only area in the city that is dry. So just like rats who move to higher ground these people were doing the same. Word must have gotten out that Uptown was dry so there started to be a large influx of people.

Needless to say he wanted to go home rather than take our chances. While it was the smart thing to do I was beyond infuriated w/ him because we made it this far. He just kept saying our lives aren't worth it. So we turned around, our next challenge was getting out of the city while not getting jacked. Reports came out that people were jumping in the back of truck holding the drivers at gunpoint. Traffic started to slow so I just nailed it got out as fast as I could.

Even though he was the voice of reason I'm still pissed. All I have is my life and the clothes on my back. I lost my house(which is now 9ft underwater) ALL my clothes, TV, computer, furniture, and photo albums and videos from childhood and college. What makes this worse is my brother owned the house and I was a tenant and I didn't have renters insurance, hindsight is 20/20.

I also hope everyone of the F*(king looters get Tetanus, E-Coli and F*(KING drown. I'm serious I really hope the all die for what they were doing to the city, killing people, and destroying homes. Never in my life have I ever seen people act live savages, it was truly sicking.

Well I attempted fate again and went back to the city. Didn't want to start a flame fest so I figured I'd post afterward. Most of you will not/do not understand WHY I went back but I think some will. This time we went in broad daylight and initially there was to be five but ended up three. We were armed w/ two pistols each(plus 2 back up) and each having 12-gague shot guns (Police/Military spec Remington 870). Once again we were force through 5 checkpoints had to show ID. At the last checkpoint the State Trooper asked "Are you carrying" to which we said yes and he then replied "Good, you may have to use them."

Over all the Westbank of the city is pretty dry, surprisingly. We exited at Tchoupitoulas at it is right near the Superdome w/people everywhere. The road was clear and we didn't stop. First we went to my buddy's house on Magazine which was dry as a bone, no water what so ever. My bro and I set up a perimeter while Lance went inside to get his stuff. Heilo's were everywhere, Coast Guard, local oil company, Huey's and even Blackhawks. I'm outside and these two people pass pushing a shopping car and the women is staring at the gun. She said "Dann dat's a big 'ole gun, I just smiled and shook my head "yes". A truck full of National Guards pass by and when they saw us they cheered "Who Hoo" I'm assuming b/c the gubs. What was frightening was they they didn't have any guns! We finished there and went on to my house. I was pretty pumped because Lance's house was dry and only a couple blocks down from my on the other side of St. Charles. Well my joy shortly faided when every street was covered with water and 200yr old oak branches. We turn the corner and see one of the famous historic New Orleans homes, I mean MANSION to be inhabited by a family who OBVIOUSLY did not live there. I mean this is easily a $5-6 million dollar home and these people are sitting on the porch, kids playing football in the yard, clothes strung out on the lawn. I just couldn't believe it.

The closest I could get to the house without submerging the truck was 5 blocks,.great. Water was up to my waist and I'm 5'10. At one point we has to "tightrope walk" across a cemetery wall because the water was so deep it was easily over our heads. As we are walking we are passing families sitting on the porch just watching us, I felt sorry for them. We finally make it to the house and there is about 4ft of water in front which is good because the house is 6ft off the ground. I was happy the house was dry and not looted. We check the house and it's safe and we grab the bare essential, clothes, pictures, documents. I had to leave my new TV, computer, stereo, etc. Well I had about 50lbs in each hand which I soon learned was too much. I'm not weak by any means but carrying 80-100lbs that many block above water was WORK!. Sadly we couldn't get the Harley, but for now it is safe and dry. We gave the family on the porch a couple gallons of water from the truck on the way back.

Next we go to Lance's GF's house and while I'm outside make sure everything is cool a neighbor walks up w/ a sidearm and asked if the Military has arrived yet. I tell them about the troops that rode by earlier and he stated he's shot at several people trying to loot neighbor's houses and cars. He was out of 12 gauge buckshot so I gave him a box.

So we are loaded up and heading toward the bridge when we pass the Wal-Mart on Tchoupitoulas and see two soldiers guarding the store. We pull up to talk to him and I guess he saw the shotguns and he IMMEDIATELY drew his weapon. I'm still now certain what type of fully automatic rifle it was (no M16 or anything like that). Anyway we all put our hands up and ask him if it was safe to exit up ahead and if he needed anything like water, ammo, etc. He said "I'll take all the ammo you can spare". I asked if they are low already and he stated that in anticipation of the storm they sent all the weapons and ammo to Jackson,Ms and it flooded before they could get to them. So THAT is why none of the Guardsmen are carrying. We gave him all the ammo we had minus what was in our clips. So they ended up w/ around 5-6 boxes of buckshot and 150-200 rounds of hollow point .45

He then said 'Be careful up ahead they are rioting at the Superdome. Whatever you do DO NOT STOP. We leave and take the on ramp and inf ront of use is 200-300people block the on ramp trying to get out of the city. We put out guns to the windows(they have been carjacking every car leaving the city) held the horn and never dropped below 15mph. People were moving away the rushing the truck but after seeing the guns they backed off. I really felt bad for some of those people because they looked tired and have a looong walk ahead of them but we weren't taking any chances.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Wow. Makes we wanna get on the next flight out and go help.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#34]
After seeing NO and the situation there, I went out and picked up a fat order of .410 for my shotgun.  I know it isnt a big shell, but it does some great damage at close range.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

... we pass the Wal-Mart on Tchoupitoulas and see two soldiers guarding the store...
We gave him all the ammo we had minus what was in our clips. So they ended up w/ around 5-6 boxes of buckshot and 150-200 rounds of hollow point .45.

Not trying to bust your balls but the Army has not used Caliber .45 sidearms for quite a few years now, not even the NG. All sidearms are 9mm NATO. Why would they accept munitions they could not use?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We gave him all the ammo we had minus what was in our clips. So they ended up w/ around 5-6 boxes of buckshot and 150-200 rounds of hollow point .45

Not trying to bust your balls but the Army has not used .45s for some time now. All sidearms are 9mm NATO. Why would they accept munitions they could not use?

Hey, I was just copy/pasting from CorvetteForums.  I found that odd as well.  Maybe they got lucky and their unit is so far behind they're still using some JMB stuff.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
We gave him all the ammo we had minus what was in our clips. So they ended up w/ around 5-6 boxes of buckshot and 150-200 rounds of hollow point .45

Not trying to bust your balls but the Army has not used .45s for some time now. All sidearms are 9mm NATO. Why would they accept munitions they could not use?

Hey, I was just copy/pasting from CorvetteForums.  I found that odd as well.  Maybe they got lucky and their unit is so far behind they're still using some JMB stuff.

It reeks of a made up story to me. sorry but that's what I think. I was fairly cool with it until the part about giving ammo to the two soldiers. That's where they lost me. In fact the more I read it the more it sounds like someones imagination.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Let me think:
IMHO the main reason most of the folks that looted rode out the storm was to be first in line to kick in a store window once TSHTF.  I am concerned more that evacuation plans did not mandate all people being moved out of harms way once the storm was confirmed to be hitting the area.  That would have put the Police and National Guard on site to ride out the storm in overwatch postitions.  The other concern I have is why do people build in flood plains any building that will not survive the highest possible water level.  

In 1996 when Wheeling West Virginia was being flooded I worked with my soldiers helping people out of the flood waters.  What really impressed me were the folks who lived in homes on Wheeling Island, that were located atop huge concrete foundations that put their homes high above the flood waters.  I even noticed one man sitting on his porch with a beer watching other people's homes flood past the lintle on their front doors.

The other thing we must re-asses is the way homes are built in hurricane prone places ensuring that they meet strict standards of durability.  In any event it seems that what I just heard on FOX is that once again the folks who brought you the M-16 bailed out the situation again... AIRBORNE!

The Army Owns the Night
God bless America
Very Respectfully,
David
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#39]
ANYBODY know what new orleans law on firearms is?  like the prk? worst?  or free for all?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#40]
those people knew about that fucking hurricane a week before it hit. Me and the guys here in kuwait wish we were home beacuse we would have loved to go looter hunting. Kill all those degenerate pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#41]
I heard on tv the elements of the 82nd AB Div. have been sent in to help with security and patrolling the area. Who needs to go to Iraq, we have our own insurgents here to deal with. As far as the cops becoming looters well NO has had the most corrupt force in the South for years. Since the 80's there have been more FBI investigations into the NOPD than any other for corruption, contract hits, prostitution rings, and money laundering.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Problem is Katrina hitting New Orleans was like somebody giving a good swift kick to a rotten watermelon.

In the news today, Texas Gov. Perry is moving to close the Texas borders to additional evacuees - communities and cities in Texas accepting them are aready overwhelmed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Problem is Katrina hitting New Orleans was like somebody giving a good swift kick to a rotten watermelon.

In the news today, Texas Gov. Perry is moving to close the Texas borders to additional evacuees - communities and cities in Texas accepting them are aready overwhelmed.

I can't wait to see that situation in six months.  The reason most of them are there in the first place is because they will do nothing to better themselves.  What do we think they will do to help themselves now?  They are blaming everyone else for their current predicament as it is, so be prepared for more excuses.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Watching the looting and lawlessness that is (not to anyone's suprise  ) erupting in New Orleans reminds me of why I own my AR15.
I know that no one wants to politicize something like this, but I think that we need to use this as proof to the anti-gunners why people need to be armed, and that there are times when an assault rifle and lots of ammo really is the best medicine.
In times of natural disasters, terrorist attacks, and other SHTF situations, people have to be able to protect themselves and their property from attacks of gangs of hoodlums and desperate people.
I sometimes have thought that maybe I am paranoid for stocking up on ammo and supplies, now I think I really don't have enough.

Looks like I will be saving up for more ammo and stockpiles of necessities.

thats right i got there fuckin cure.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The looting is disgusting. Bring back "Looters will be shot!"

YOU LOOT...WE SHOOT

Dam right it sounds like it should go together.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I believe there was a certain element that didn't evacuate N.O. on purpose just so they could loot afterwards.
There are too many people in this country that believe and expect the gov't to take care of them and their every need under any and all circumstances.  N.O. proves that we can not count on the Gov't. These people want others to take responsibility for them. Not just talking about N.O. either. They better fucking wake-up.
I also believe that N.O. is just a very small snap shot of what could happen on a larger scale. Think about it for a minute. Suppose terrorists were able to co-ordiante a series of well planned attacks in several large cities at the same time. In those large cities that were hit, they would be in a state of panic and chaos. There would probably be large groups of roving bands of looters and desparate people. Is this possible? N.O. shows us it's quite possible.
Just playing devils advocate here, but things could get real bad real fast. We need to look out for ourselves and be prepared.

On a side note, I believe we just showed terrorists that if they want to hurt us very badly economically,
all they need to do is fly some planes into several oil refineries and maybe a few major coastal oil receiving facilities.
The US is very short in these areas because of the continuous cries of the left about environmental concerns. Don't get me wrong, I am all for protecting the environment. But, I am more concerned about protecting the welfare of our economy and our country.
Sorry if I got a little off topic, but N.O. showed us that some things in this country need to be changed and changed ASAP.

I completely agree.  We are all so comfortable with our govornment imposed security, but what when it's gone.  Even if it is gone for a week, or month, or whatever.  What then?  I imagine even good, non-ghetto dwelling residents can get ugly when they are desparate.  I am not a fanatic by any means, but we see that the worst can odviously happen.
   Even worse, I live in N.J., where the anti-gun laws are going to get harsher ( if the decrepid democrats stay in power).  I am going to start a thread to try to find the best way to preserve gun rights in N.J.  I know most of you don't live here, but everything starts somewhere.  You could be next!  I must know who the most effective pro-gun politician in this state, or country for that matter, so I can do something.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Shooting is a sport for me, if a SHTF instance would occur in my area then I could use my firearms in that application to defend my family. Course I hope that it never comes to that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah I was thinking that myself, but was also thinking that if I were in the NG and told I was getting sent to that nightmare without being issued a weapon.....I'd be taking along the personal 1911....I think I'd risk the court-martial rather than be stuck there in a uniform without anyway to defend myself
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#49]
In the Mississippi NG, we didn't trade in our 1911's until 1996, ten years after it was officially replaced. Other units had them after we did, so when the majority of the state armories had been shipped north, there's no telling what fell out of dark corners. Every armory also had a dozen 12 gauges that were not regular MTOE items for civil disturbance duty. I won't say the handing off the ammo part is totally implausible.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

That is the best explanation I have heard. Being raised around farms and growing up taking care of gardens I understand that so well and could not agree more with you.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top