BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow thanks for posting in information thread which states there is no new information.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
At first I recoiled in horror at the pic of the XCR with the carry handle. Then the more I looked at it......... Yeah, baby!

What it's missing is the standard M16 style front sight...that would look uber sweet!!!!  Wonder if they'll take my M96 in trade???
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
So here is my dilemma.  I'm very close to giving up on the RA XCR.  I've been waiting since March and every month they promise it will be delivered two months later.  

So do I bite on the hook and wait until August or just go ahead with a DSA C.R.O.S. or get the Bushmaster E2S Modular Carbine with Tele-Stock?

I'm a bit concerned that the XCR won't live up to expectations given the delays that keep occuring.  I understand the "first time out" problem of manufacturing a new weapon but give me a break.

Before purchasing the XCR, ask yourself,  what do I want and need in this gun. For some people it's just the novelty of a new toy that no one else has.

I'm lucky enough to have handled the XCR and I see the value in some of its features that make it a viable option. Ergos, folder, piston, fast barrel change, these are things  I consider important enough to make me want to own the gun, but I still wrestle with purchasing new AR15 rifles. I might go buy an RRA today in fact, which would delay my XCR until fall

Best advice would be to get the XCR in your hands first, play with it and determine if it is the gun for you. Who knows, it might come out and you may hate the design, or maybe love it, but you wont know till you see it first and you cant do that till august RA says at the moment

Let's see:

Ergonomics:
Vepr or AR-15 fit the bill

Folding Stock:
What for?

Piston:
Vepr has it, I wish the AR-15 had it, but I'm not about to shell out $1000+ for something my $500 Vepr already uses.

Fast Barrel Changes:
Doesn't exactly instill confidence in the durability of the barrel... If you want to switch calibers or something, the AR-15 can do that. Notice how long it takes to change calibers on the XCR.
From .223 to 7.62x39 takes longer than it would to just swap upper receivers w/ the barrels installed, and to swap out the entire bolt carrier assembly. The XCR takes custom made AK mags - NOT any ordinary AK mag. Lot's of potential WECSOG to be had with these "custom" AK mags.

So buy a VEPR then

Personally I'd rather not have to carry, 3 complete uppers and mags when I want a little modular fun. And if I recall correctly the $500 VEPR doesnt take AR15 toys, free float and have a rail system as standard.

Since the military wants multi cailber weapons  durability clearly isnt an issue. And I like folders, even if you dont. Quick change to 11.5" barrel, Fold the stock, add VFG, and you got an PDW instead of a carbine.

And I wont go into ergos as this depends entirely on how a person's body reacts to a weapon, but since you've never manipulated the controls, you're entitled to prefer the AK47 or AR15

If you dont see the value then dont buy it. Pretty simple

And I did buy an RRA today
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Variablebinary,

Nice photoshop skills. Do you take requests?

I'd like to see the XCR with a 14.5 w/ Smith Vortex, Aimpoint, TD battle grip, TD vert grip and Magpul M93B?

In coyote?

Even if you can't, thanks for the pics.

Regards,

Jim
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So buy a VEPR then

Personally I'd rather not have to carry, 3 complete uppers and mags when I want a little modular fun. And if I recall correctly the $500 VEPR doesnt take AR15 toys, free float and have a rail system as standard.

Since the military wants multi cailber weapons  durability clearly isnt an issue. And I like folders, even if you dont. Quick change to 11.5" barrel, Fold the stock, add VFG, and you got an PDW instead of a carbine.

And I wont go into ergos as this depends entirely on how a person's body reacts to a weapon, but since you've never manipulated the controls, you're entitled to prefer the AK47 or AR15

So instead with the XCR you have to carry 3 barrels, different types of mags, and different bolts to have modular fun... how's that any different from the standard AR-15? Oh right, the upper receiver. At least with the AR-15 you can zero each upper/barrel combo properly and switch calibers without ASSuming the sights are zero'd when you change.

I see no point in having a modular caliber changing rifle for a war/battle rifle. You stick with the caliber you're trained with, have an ample supply, and has the best terminal effects for your combat environment. 6.5 Grendel, 6.8mm SPC, or .50 Beowulf isn't going to be easy to find at your local Iraqi or A-stan gunshop or even standard procurement.

It literally takes a few seconds to swap the upper receiver/barrel from an AR-15. An extra upper receiver isn't going to add much weight at all, and even with your precious XCR you still have to carry 3 barrels, 3 bolts, all the different mags, etc... The XCR isn't magically going to adapt to 3 different calibers like in Judge Dredd (brzzzzzt Grenade Launcher brrzzzzzzzzzt 6.8mm Remington SPC brzzzzzz .50 Beowulf).

I already have an AR-15 and a Vepr (Got both!) . The Vepr beats the AR-15 in terms of simplicity, reliability, and overall value. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have gotten the AR-15. I would have gotten a .223 Vepr K. The AR-15 required a lot of time and money to make it run half-way reliable using name brand parts when doing failure drills using Wolf ammo (underpowered ammo, if your rifle can't feed this stuff you cannot ASSume Lake City QC is 100%) . You feed the Vepr whatever 7.62x39 you have (dug out from the dirt, jam dirt into the chamber, etc...) and it goes BANG when you squeeze the trigger. Don't laugh, my cartridges fell into the mud and I picked it up and chambered it. It's a MBR, not a safe queen.

The Vepr cannot match the AR-15 or XCR for modular accessories, but I don't want 99% of the modular "high speed super sexy double secret squirrel" operator toys for my intended application.

At least with a vepr you can use standard Ak mags and drums. IIRC Alex said the XCR requires custom made super sexy double secret squirrel Robinson AK mags designed for use with the XCR. Translation: Give us $30-$50 for a 30rd AK mag that works with the XCR but still doesn't have a BHO due to the design

Robinson did a decent job with the Vepr, but it was half-assed. They left out a lot of important details and I would have gladly paid a bit more for them to have done everything from the get-go:

* threaded muzzle (granted, most of the development/prod was during the AWB... but right now it's after 9/14/04)

* tactical sling mounts - stock Veprs come with the QD studs.

* folding stock- they want an extra $200 for something that would normally cost $50-$100.

* a FCG that didn't have trigger slap found on $200-$300 Romanian AKs.

I expect the same kind of treatment with the XCR. Didn't they forget to include the blank firing adapter for the SCAR trials? See... they left something out.

I didn't mean to rain down on the XCR but I didn't quite like the tone of your response in defense of the vaporware.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So buy a VEPR then

So instead with the XCR you have to carry 3 barrels, different types of mags, and different bolts to have modular fun... how's that any different from the standard AR-15? Oh right, the upper receiver. At least with the AR-15 you can zero each upper/barrel combo properly and switch calibers without ASSuming the sights are zero'd when you change.

I see no point in having a modular caliber changing rifle for a war/battle rifle. You stick with the caliber you're trained with, have an ample supply, and has the best terminal effects for your combat environment. 6.5 Grendel, 6.8mm SPC, or .50 Beowulf isn't going to be easy to find at your local Iraqi or A-stan gunshop or even standard procurement.

It literally takes a few seconds to swap the upper receiver/barrel from an AR-15. An extra upper receiver isn't going to add much weight at all, and even with your precious XCR you still have to carry 3 barrels, 3 bolts, all the different mags, etc... The XCR isn't magically going to adapt to 3 different calibers like in Judge Dredd (brzzzzzt Grenade Launcher brrzzzzzzzzzt 6.8mm Remington SPC brzzzzzz .50 Beowulf).

I already have an AR-15 and a Vepr (Got both!) . The Vepr beats the AR-15 in terms of simplicity, reliability, and overall value. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have gotten the AR-15. I would have gotten a .223 Vepr K. The AR-15 required a lot of time and money to make it run half-way reliable using name brand parts when doing failure drills using Wolf ammo (underpowered ammo, if your rifle can't feed this stuff you cannot ASSume Lake City QC is 100%) . You feed the Vepr whatever 7.62x39 you have (dug out from the dirt, jam dirt into the chamber, etc...) and it goes BANG when you squeeze the trigger. Don't laugh, my cartridges fell into the mud and I picked it up and chambered it. It's a MBR, not a safe queen.

The Vepr cannot match the AR-15 or XCR for modular accessories, but I don't want 99% of the modular "high speed super sexy double secret squirrel" operator toys for my intended application.

At least with a vepr you can use standard Ak mags and drums. IIRC Alex said the XCR requires custom made super sexy double secret squirrel Robinson AK mags designed for use with the XCR. Translation: Give us $30-$50 for a 30rd AK mag that works with the XCR but still doesn't have a BHO due to the design

Robinson did a decent job with the Vepr, but it was half-assed. They left out a lot of important details and I would have gladly paid a bit more for them to have done everything from the get-go:

* threaded muzzle (granted, most of the development/prod was during the AWB... but right now it's after 9/14/04)

* tactical sling mounts - stock Veprs come with the QD studs.

* folding stock- they want an extra $200 for something that would normally cost $50-$100.

* a FCG that didn't have trigger slap found on $200-$300 Romanian AKs.

I expect the same kind of treatment with the XCR. Didn't they forget to include the blank firing adapter for the SCAR trials? See... they left something out.

I didn't mean to rain down on the XCR but I didn't quite like the tone of your response in defense of the vaporware.

Not really sure what you are arguing here. If you dont see the XCR as being viable, dont purchase it. If you think the VEPR is better stick with it.

I have a Glock 19 and IMHO it is the world's most perfect handgun, nothing thus far has made me think anything is better, but I dont need to argue the merits of it.

If you have a gun you're happy with, consider yourself lucky. I envy you. This BRD ensures I'm never happy and my money is always spent
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Variablebinary,

Nice photoshop skills. Do you take requests?

I'd like to see the XCR with a 14.5 w/ Smith Vortex, Aimpoint, TD battle grip, TD vert grip and Magpul M93B?

In coyote?

Even if you can't, thanks for the pics.

Regards,

Jim

lol

I used MS paint for all those, but I'll see what I can do when I get home from work
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I am looking forward to one.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Folding stocks are useless.  It needs a collapsable stock in a bad way.

Link Posted: 7/11/2005 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It takes M4 stocks with an adaptor. Modular is the name of the game with the next generation of rifles
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Folding is good for compact storage. Collapsable is good for adjusting fit. A stock which does both is best of all.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Call me an idiot but I just made my deposit with RA for my xcr.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.  According to the representative I spoke with they wouldn't be accepting money unless they were "very" close to shipping.  I know....you have ocean front property in Arizona that you want to sell me!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#14]

No XCR News

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

In just over a month the AWB will have been gone for a YEAR and RA still hasn't delivered the VEPR folding stock.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No XCR News

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

In just over a month the AWB will have been gone for a YEAR and RA still hasn't delivered the VEPR folding stock.

There actually has been updates
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=244906
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#16]
tag
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
There actually has been updates
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=244906

hmm, I guess we'll see about that on the 13th

I'm still pissed at RA over the VEPR folder.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top