Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Too bad Bryco never made AR's huh?  They would have won any poll hands down!!!

h.gifh.gif
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#2]
"Best"?  Accuracy?  Reliability?  Fit and finish?  Customer service?  

Everyone prioritizes differently.  If you want them all with no compromises, you gotta pay for it.  But I did and so I did.  
JP makes the best AR IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Who really cares which is THE best?

To me, what's USEFUL is to know which are the quality manufacturers, and which to avoid.

Among the quality manufactures are CLEARLY: Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, RRA, CMMG, LMT (and no doubt others).

The only ones I know to avoid are Vulcan/Hesse, and early cast Oympic.  

EVERY manufacturer can have something slip through quality control.  When I bought my first Bushmaster, a colleague of mine bought an identical Colt.  He had to send his back to the factory, because it jammed on every third round, and they replaced the upper.  My Bushmaster ran fine (expect if I used USA mags ).  What does that mean?  NOTHING - Colt has outstanding quality, and Bushmaster had a bunch or rifles around that time with canted FSB's, IIRC.  Everyone can have stuff slip though QC once in a while.  I'd agree that Colt overall may have a slight edge in product consistency. but I think it is very slight.

Anyhoo - once you know which are the quality manufacturers - then people can decide for themselves - based on their own preferences/fetishes what manufacturer to get.  

Personally, I'd recommend Bushmaster or RRA to people.  I think Colt and Armalite are exactly as good, but I jsut don't want to pay a premium for a brand name that makes no difference in functionality.  (I understand the difference between the Colt QC barrel testing and other manufacturers, but I honestly don't see how it makes a difference, personally).

For the record, I currently own Bushmaster, Armalite, CMMG and RRA products - and have shot plenty of Colts.  It's all good.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Coltrivermasterlite.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 11:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
This could go on forever!

Bushmaster is the most popular....

Colt is the most famious.

CMMG is very good!

Rock River is good as well.

LMT is good.

Its all about the craftsmanship. and like assholes everyone has an opinion.
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 11:54:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a Colt and a franken gun.  If I had to part with one it would be the franken gun but I'd still be upset about it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 1:36:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Vulcan.

I heard DeltaRangerSEAL-Megaforce uses them.

Link Posted: 5/27/2005 1:55:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh yes.

Colt ROXORZ!
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 2:07:08 AM EDT
[#9]

American Spirit Arms
ArmaLite/Eagle ARms
Barrett
Bushmaster
Cavalry Arms
CMMG Inc. (now makes complete rifles)
CMS FAB 10 (now makes complete rifles)
Colt
DPMS
DS Arms (now makes a complete rifle)
Fulton Armory (now makes complete rifles)
Knight's Manufacturing
Leitner-Wise
Les Baer
Lewis Machine & Tool
LRB
Olympic Arms
P.O.F (now makes a complete rifle)
Sabre Defense
SNS Industries
Stag Arms
Wilson Combat

BTW, excuse me if I'm wrong but in general terms, do all of these "manufacturers" make AR recievers and every single, solitary part from scratch?  Most of these companies are getting their parts from a few common sources, correct?  In receiver terms, most of them get 80% receivers and finish them off, right?  Or do they all make their individual recievers all from a blank forging?  I think not.

It is very misleading to say these companies "MAKE" AR15's.  They just finish off the 80%'ers and stamp their logo on.  If they make complete rifles, they buy the parts from a common MANUFACTURER, throw the parts into a parts bin and put them together in an assembly line type operation.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 5:19:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Which is the best manufacture?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ 80 ]  Colt  [ 38.65% ]
[ 62 ]  Bushmaster  [ 29.95% ]
[ 11 ]  Armalite  [ 5.31% ]
[ 41 ]  Rock River  [ 19.81% ]
[ 41 ]  CMMG  [ 19.81% ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't that 113.53%?????
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 5:27:59 AM EDT
[#11]
How about "All of them"
I had a few different brands and never had a problem with any of them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 5:42:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The only ones I know to avoid are Vulcan/Hesse...  

Based on experience or from user feedback among arfcommers?
I know Vulcan has had the stigma of their previous namesake (Hesse) as a maker of crap, but I'm curious if they've improved the quality of their products at all in the last few years.

Have they at least climbed up a peg to being as good a Olympic?

Lower receivers are made from a space age carbon/aramid fiber in a 6/6 nylon binder material...

All flat top upper receivers (except the 500 series) are made from the same material as the lowers. These uppers feature a built in brass deflector.

Vulcan Arms mil-spec A2 flash hider

All V15-110 series rifles feature a mil-spec, forged A2 upper receiver...

All V15 rifles use the standard .250" takedown pins and are compatible with any standard mil-pec parts.

All barrels (except stainless and 9mm) are chrome lined as per the current US mil-spec...

Forged uppers and Lowers for the V15: Made from certified 7075T6.511 alloy forgings, hardcoat anodized IAW Mil Spec A8625, Type III, Class II, black per No. 37038, Table IX with nickel acetate seal

All other aluminum parts that we make (ie. free float tubes, scope rails, etc.) are machined from bar stock 6061T6 aircraft aluminum, hardcoat anodized IAW Mil Spec A8625, Type III, Class II, black per No. 37038, Table IX with nickel acetate seal Whatever the hell all that means.

All Vulcan Arms rifles are covered by our one year repair policy.

For over a decade, the legendary gun- makers at Vulcan Armament have been producing exotic machineguns for our nations hero's!

Oh... and let not forget...

Vulcan, the God of Fire & Steel!

I know someone posted a picture of a busted Vulcan Carbon upper a while back to maintain the "fact" that ulcan makes crap. Frankly I'm always skeptical about carbon uppers/lowers in general. Just doesn't seem like it would be as durable as aluminum to me... but I'm not metalurgist.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 5:53:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Those that know me know that I own just about every manufacture except Hesse so I don't feel I'm biased towards any one brand.  That said I think the answer to the best manufacture question at this point in time is RRA for their quality and cost.  

I've also been impressed with the Stag/CMT stuff lately.  Colt always seems to be the most consistant.  Bushmaster and LMT have seem to have some QA issues but I've been very happy with all the LMT stuff I've purchased lately and I've always liked everything I've bought from CMMG.  All of my Eagle/Armalite stuff is great and believe it or not I've also had good luck with LAR and Olympic stuff as well...maybe I'm just lucky that way

But for the money I don't think you can beat RRA right now as long as you purchase from a true RRA dealer like ADCO or Legal Transfers.  A lot of assclowns are pushing parts that they claim to be RRA when they are really cheap Chinese crap.  Buyer beware.  RRA has also taken measure to ensure that when you purchase their parts and rifles you know you are getting RRA parts and rifles.  Kudos to them for taking these steps!
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Those that know me know that I own just about every manufacture

So you are, in a sense, Noah of the M4arc? Get it? Noah? Arc? That's pretty funny, right?

Again on the Hesse/Vulcan though. have you ever owned of used them to steer clear, or do you pretty much take people's word that their ARs are junk?

I'm not trying to push Vulcan on anyone... I just like to know if people are simply influenced by hearsay or by legimate user feedback, rangereports, etc.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

American Spirit Arms
ArmaLite/Eagle ARms
Barrett
Bushmaster
Cavalry Arms
CMMG Inc. (now makes complete rifles)
CMS FAB 10 (now makes complete rifles)
Colt
DPMS
DS Arms (now makes a complete rifle)
Fulton Armory (now makes complete rifles)
Knight's Manufacturing
Leitner-Wise
Les Baer
Lewis Machine & Tool
LRB
Olympic Arms
P.O.F (now makes a complete rifle)
Sabre Defense
SNS Industries
Stag Arms
Wilson Combat

BTW, excuse me if I'm wrong but in general terms, do all of these "manufacturers" make AR recievers and every single, solitary part from scratch?  Most of these companies are getting their parts from a few common sources, correct?  In receiver terms, most of them get 80% receivers and finish them off, right?  Or do they all make their individual recievers all from a blank forging?  I think not.

It is very misleading to say these companies "MAKE" AR15's.  They just finish off the 80%'ers and stamp their logo on.  If they make complete rifles, they buy the parts from a common MANUFACTURER, throw the parts into a parts bin and put them together in an assembly line type operation.

You are excused.

They all get some parts from subs. All of them. Even Colt. Even Bushmaster. Even RRA. Even Olympic

It's how they test the parts for quality and reject away the substandard parts, and how they are put together and tested that makes the difference. That's why Colt is on top. No one else has their level of QC and proofiing. That's why a Colt bolt marked MPC is worth it's weight in gold. Colt does not manufacture all their own parts, but they make sure they meet their stringent standards before they put their mark on it. This is a measurable value that has been discussed ad nauseum and not a subjective postulation.

Even those manufacturers like Olympic, who make most of their own parts, still use some subcontractor parts. But any company, even if they put together a complete rifle from all subcontract parts, and warranty it, give it a name, then market it, then yes they do "MAKE' the rifle.

Now if they sell only a parts kit or a receiver, like JT and Doublestar or Model1, then no, they do not "make a rifle" by the BATFEs description.

All of the listed above sell a complete rifle and warranty it as such. They have passed the rifle through their own level of quality control, whatever that may be. As far as the industry and the BATFE are concerned they "made" the rifle. As to whether or not they physically manufactured the sum of the parts? That is not important here.

Link Posted: 5/27/2005 6:37:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hello,  I am a new member here.  However, I have read enough to know that the bashers love to fight on threads like this.  I would like to have honest opinions on which manufacture you guys think are the best.  I would like to repeat,  especially to the colt cult and colt bashers,  NO BASHING ON THIS THREAD!!!

thank you for your honest opinions,
Couch-Commando

ETA:I want an honest opinion about the QUALITY of a given company,  do not allow politics or price influence your vote.

ETA: I am talking about basic rifles direct from the factory without any modifications.

colt
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the replies guys.h-Commando
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Best balance of service and quality product = Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 5/27/2005 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#19]
New ARs that I own and shoot regularly:
Colt [2]
Bushmaster [1]
LMT [2]
RRA [1]

The only rifles to experience malfunctions within their first 500 rounds were Colt [1] and RRA [1]. I break-in all rifles with SS109/M855 ammo. I must state, for the record, that Colt had been my favorite manufacturer for 15+  years. However, I have given other brands a try and I am completely satisfied with all of them. My favorite, aside from Colts, would be one of my LMTs. an excellent rifle, fit and finish flawless.   The RRA which experienced the malf., has yet to disappoint me since. With 1000+ Rounds fired [mixed ammo], and no other problems. The malf. was a fluke, in my humble opinion. And the Colt which experienced the malf., has had 500+ rounds [mixed] through it with no further problems.  I will add that I hope Colts competitors increase their QC, and invest in better manufacturing techniques and equipment. Colt needs to be taught a valuable lesson, that consumers count. And Colt’s lack of respect for the civilian market, and customer relations, needs serious modification/re-invention. If Colt’s Military contract is ever to expire, or reduced, they will beg, borrow, and plead for our business.
That's just a little review for any/all interested.

myitinaw

Link Posted: 5/27/2005 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#20]
btt
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#21]
btt
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
btt

I wondering why you would keep BTT such a BS thread.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#24]
LMT=1  IN MY BOOK.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I have to agree with "Wildcat 78" ....Vulcan B-A-B-Y!!!  

If it's good enough for the members of the elite "U.S. F-Troop, 3rd Marine Ranger Brigade of the 82nd Special Forces Division (ABN)", it good enough for me!!!  
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#26]
monday thru friday i get play with armilite's, bushmaster's and colt's...and occassionally les baer's and knights.....to be honest...of the ABC's the a's have the nicest curb appeal followed b's and c's....the armilite's come out of the box usually looking the best...I love the expression on the persons face when they have read every brochure, magazine article, and every thead on this site and know more than eugene stoner about ar's.....that the best ar is one that WORKS...and i don't see any !!! of the above coming in more than the other with broken parts...but when a bushmaster A2 20"er  sells for about $800....the same armilite for $50 to$100 more and the same colt for $75 to $100 more than that...picture this...the average workin' stiiff walks in to buy a rifle he can't afford to buy..he's managed to steal from his family OOPS! I mean skim money off the top OOPS! I mean hide money from his wife....Maybe take his private well deserved allowance that would cause a divorce if she found out about.....and you know how long it takes to skarf a grand in cash!! ....first he see's that the armi finish isn't worth the $100 more...then after seeing that potato pealer finish on the forward assist portion of the colt receiver this blue collar inellectual says to himself .....self i could pay $200 more for a horse on the side of my gun.....and as a courtesy i lug out a token used olympic...at which point he says it's taken me to long to skarf this cash to buy THAT thing...........i'm by no means saying bushmasters are the best but at this point in time they're possibly the best value......i know rra's seem to be the latest rage...but i'm not familiar with them...i only hope they pass the test of time!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2005 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

If it's good enough for the members of the elite "U.S. F-Troop, 3rd Marine Ranger Brigade of the 82nd Special Forces Division (ABN)", it good enough for me!!!  

Yeah, I took your advise,  bought one, got a deal on it too!  It was just a little over a grand! Finish wasn't very good, but hey, if it's good enough for our troops, it's good enough for me! Lets hope this Vulcan is as good as you said it was at the range today!

ETA:Was $1,200 a good price on a new vulcan?

Couch-Commando
Link Posted: 6/3/2005 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I think this has already been covered once or twice this year already

But its Colt followed by ArmaLite
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I took your advise,  bought one, got a deal on it too!  It was just a little over a grand! Finish wasn't very good, but hey, if it's good enough for our troops, it's good enough for me! Lets hope this Vulcan is as good as you said it was at the range today!

Couch-Commando

Could someone give me some imput on how good a deal this was?

Thanks in advanced,

Couch-Commando
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I would say the best manufacturer depends on how much of a companys AR line is made in house closest to the spec.All companys listed are in my opinion are  assemblers/dealers as I dont assemble any differently than they except for I get to choose each high quality part I want in a build.I use parts from Colt,RRA,Bushmaster with the edge to Bushmaster for its barrels and prices for them although I wish you could get 1/7 barrels faster or more frequently.So I would ask this question wich company sub-contracts   out the least making them more of a manufacturer?
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#31]
BTT
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Couch-Commando

Could someone give me some imput on how good a deal this was?

Thanks in advanced,

Couch-Commando

I would pay twice that if the special forces really use a Vulcan!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
... I predict this thread will be locked before it gets to 3 pages.....if that.

Sadly not...
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I refuse to vote!

Yummy. My cool-aid tastes unusually good today.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I refuse to vote!

Please be serious.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Sigh.....
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I refuse to vote!

Please be serious.

Link Posted: 6/14/2005 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I refuse to vote!

Please be serious.

I know. I know.

Just trying to lighten the mood.
ETA: I think Colt is the best.  There. Happy now?
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#39]
BTT
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#40]
BM
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... I predict this thread will be locked before it gets to 3 pages.....if that.

Sadly not...

I guess that's why I don't make a living as a psycic

WIZZO

BTW, I think everyone that wants to see this thread has seen it already
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

BTW, I think everyone that wants to see this thread has seen it already

You never know....
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#43]
BTT
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
sabredefence.com

they make M2 and M60 barrels for the Military and AR rifles too... they are relatively new to the US... ah heck.. I'll think of a better reason after i do some research

For one thing, they have that cool Thundercat logo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
BTT I swear this is the last time!

Quoted so you can't change your mind & edit this out...
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BTT

Quoted so you can't change your mind & edit this out... I hate you and want to kill you, couch-commando!

What are you talking about! You guys just added this to what I said!  
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Wow. Now that the Bushy vs. Colt BS has died down, I'm surprised Colt's winning. I still voted Rock River.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Lets see if this can't hit the 5 page mark!
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Wow. Now that the Bushy vs. Colt BS has died down, I'm surprised Colt's winning. I still voted Rock River.

You too huh. Let the others kill each other off so RRA can conquer the world
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

ETA: I think Colt is the best.  There. Happy now?

You think?

You don't know it is?

I think your Kool-aid is getting weak.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top