BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#1]
everyone has there own ideal rifle regardless of how someone else thinks of their choice, so i have no imperfect ar everything is done for a purpose

ideal ar......all of them i love ar's period.........ugly ar's neeed love too!!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:22:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
In reference to collapsibles on 20":

Hey, to each his own, but I think a collapsible stock on a 20" is like a trailer hitch on a vette. It's a mixture of "purpose." If you want something compact, build a carbine. If you want a full-size A2 why suffer with a tactical stock?

Got to go with this.

Perfect rifle?

20" SS heavy brl, A2 fixed sights, 2 stage NM trigger, A2 nylon sling.  

Just like the one I own.  (and probably weighs less than most of the carbines)
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out why people put Bi-pods on 16" rifles

+1

I saw a pic of the M4gery 14.5" barrel and a long range scope on it once and just about laughed myself to death.  Of course, a week later I saw a little old lady in Newport Beach driving a brand new loaded to the gills Range Rover with every possible rally option - massive ARB bull bar and rear bumper, -huge- Warne winch, rear mount ladder, big old Hella top lights, front lights, directional offroad billion watt flood, a SNORKEL on it, and ... running boards.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Why a bi-pod on a 16" gun you ask? For the same reasons you put a bipod on an 18", 20", or 24" gun...stability. Unless you're shooting something 400 yards+, the difference between 16" and 20" is fairly marginal. Even the SPR uses only an 18" barrel yet it has a bipod and a scope. Why is that?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why a bi-pod on a 16" gun you ask? For the same reasons you put a bipod on an 18", 20", or 24" gun...stability. Unless you're shooting something 400 yards+, the difference between 16" and 20" is fairly marginal. Even the SPR uses only an 18" barrel yet it has a bipod and a scope. Why is that?

OK, so let's be more specific.  Why a bipod on an M4 with an aimpoint?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Ideal AR

16" match grade SS, Wylde chamber 1/8 or 1/7 twist contoured following the military curves and radiusesese under the handguards, only beefed up to .70
Fixed front sight tower with taper pins.
LaRue handguard that covers the bottom and sides of the fixed front sight.
TA31 with the DoD but with the 14.5/M855 flat top BDC.  TA51 or LaRue mount.
GG&G A2
M93A stock.
Textured TD grip or Ergo
Light single stage.  I hear the Accuracy Speaks is good.
Still don't know if I am into the front grip or not
Some sort of Surefire
Harris 9-13 swivel on a throwlever Arms mount for use only when needed.
Plenty of 77 Nosler ammo loaded healthy.

Unideal.

14.5 or 16" HBAR with A2 upper and original telestock and M4 handguards.
A2 grip, didn't use to notice it, but it feels very weird now that I have used the Ergo.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

tinypic.com/57hbq

Curious as to why you have a fixed BUIS but a folding style front sight?

I'm not Mongo, but I like the hooded sight picture of the PRI over the stock sight.  I'd buy a fixed one in a heartbeat.  Also, the rear can be replaced with a folder a lot easier than the front. :)
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#8]
20" guns with a Magpul 93A makes the A2 stock obsolete.

I like most ARs regardless of configuration.  Except those that favor form over function.  I also hate stainless barrels with no coating on a rifle with OD green furniture, personally that is the stupidest shit I have ever seen.  I also hate 11.5" barrels and 5" flashhiders.

But the thing I dislike most are the ounce queens who bitch that an 16" Hbar is too heavy...too heavy to shoot, too heavy to carry....WHAA WHAA WHAA ...If 8ozs is too heavy you definately need to invest in a gym membership.  I have seen some that say a forward vert grip makes the rifle too front heavy !

I also dislike seeing railed forearms with no covers or ladder style as primary covers. I also hate free float tubes with no ventalation holes or rails.

Other than that, I appreciate all the variety and versatility inherrant in the system.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But the thing I dislike most are the ounce queens who bitch that an 16" Hbar is too heavy...too heavy to shoot, too heavy to carry....WHAA WHAA WHAA ...If 8ozs is too heavy you definately need to invest in a gym membership.  I have seen some that say a forward vert grip makes the rifle too front heavy !

Everyone, from Ed Grimly to the Incredidible Hulk, has a limit to how much they can carry.  Every useless ounce you save on a weapon is an ounce more of useful equipment you can carry.

I'd be curious to know how far you've humped with your rifle or how much time you've spent with a carbine at low ready clearing a building.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I HATE:
collapseable stocks
fixed stocks
A1 stocks
A2 stocks
carrying handles
flattops
1/12" twist
1/9" twist
1/8" twist
1/7" twist
chrome bores
non-chromed bores
A1 rear sights
A2 rear sights
slab-sided receivers
"fenced" receivers
large-pins
small pins
birdcage flash suppressors
A2 suppressors
Vortex
Y-comp
bayonet lugs
ACOGs
Aimpoints
Surefires
HBARs
"pencil" barrels
M4 barrels
14.5" barrels
16" barrels
20" barrels
.223 chambers
5.56mm chambers
6.8 SPC chambers

KIDDING!  

I love the AR. To each his own, but I do not like SS barrels and vertical foregrips.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ideal AR

16" match grade SS, Wylde chamber 1/8 or 1/7 twist contoured following the military curves and radiusesese under the handguards, only beefed up to .70
Fixed front sight tower with taper pins.
LaRue handguard that covers the bottom and sides of the fixed front sight.
TA31 with the DoD but with the 14.5/M855 flat top BDC.  TA51 or LaRue mount.
GG&G A2
M93A stock.
Textured TD grip or Ergo
Light single stage.  I hear the Accuracy Speaks is good.
Still don't know if I am into the front grip or not
Some sort of Surefire
Harris 9-13 swivel on a throwlever Arms mount for use only when needed.
Plenty of 77 Nosler ammo loaded healthy.

Unideal.

14.5 or 16" HBAR with A2 upper and original telestock and M4 handguards.
A2 grip, didn't use to notice it, but it feels very weird now that I have used the Ergo.

That's funny, you pretty much just described my rifle. Only differences are the BUIS, the stock (I went with an Ace SOCOM but the two are comparable) and I decided to go with an aluminum tube rather than rails to save some weight. The barrel (well 5.56 rather than Wylde on mine), twist, optics, grip, trigger, and bipod are all either already on my rifle or will be in the near future. I think we should call this setup the "Illinois Special"
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The Dissy is a great concept.  Full lenth handguards and a longer sight radius....what's not to like!  Add a telestock and a red dot optic and you've got yourself a winner.  What I think is stupid on a dissy is when I see "preban" versions with a threaded barrel and a bayonet lug less than 2 inches from the muzzle.

What good is the longer sight radius, when you put a scope on it?
That was my whole point. It has it's uses, on and irons only rifle, but on a flat top, it's just dead weight.
As far as not buring yourself, get a long FF HG.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Ideal:
one plain and one with all the "fixins"
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everyone, from Ed Grimly to the Incredidible Hulk, has a limit to how much they can carry.  Every useless ounce you save on a weapon is an ounce more of useful equipment you can carry.

I'd be curious to know how far you've humped with your rifle or how much time you've spent with a carbine at low ready clearing a building.

The M4A1 is an Hbar!!!   I have not traveled too far with my Colt 6731 to be honest, just with my ten pound Mosin Nagant through the desert in search of anything that moves (primarly rabbit and coyote..yeah its big but its fun...) for quite a while.  

I hear  your point, but I think I view that kind of weight different from most.  Probably because I am 5'8" and 190 lbs with 14% body fat (just had my trainer measure last week).  However, that is not to say I don't absolutely love my A1 profile upper!!  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#15]
The M4A1 is not an HBAR, its an M4 barrel with 4 ounces of steel added to the barrel under the handguards.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Curious as to why you have a fixed BUIS but a folding style front sight?

I'm not Mongo, but I like the hooded sight picture of the PRI over the stock sight.  I'd buy a fixed one in a heartbeat.  Also, the rear can be replaced with a folder a lot easier than the front. :)

There's a reason for that.  That is a brand new Colt M4 barrel that did not have a FSB installed on it.  There are no holes in the barrel, so I put the PRI clamp on front flip sight on it.  Ideally, that would be a fixed, "F" marked standard FSB and maybe some day it will be.  It'd be a pain in the butt to remove the "permanently" attached Vortex, but I've got a FSB installation jig in the works and when it is done, I might just get an "F" marked FSB from Bravo Company USA and put it on.

If I don't install an "F" marked FSB, the PRI will be setscrewed to the barrel with two opposing setscrews, drilled centerline of the barrel on both of the back straps of the PRI.  I don't want this thing moving at all.  Overkill??  Likely, but I will feel better about it.

But, like blikbok stated, the sight picture of the large aperture rear sight and the hooded PRI is pretty sweet, so I'm a little undecided as to which way I should go.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#17]
You know, I didn't think about it the first time I read that post.
It's not really a fixed buis, it'll come off.
Mongo's build looks alot like what I have in mind for my next "serious" build.
Right now I'm focusing on the rifles themselves, and leaving optics for later. I like my LMT buis more than my ARMS #40. If I go with my plans for the build, it'll look much like Mongos fine firearm.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Mongo, you have good taste. Mmine looks a lot like that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The M4A1 is not an HBAR, its an M4 barrel with 4 ounces of steel added to the barrel under the handguards.

Yeah it is, there have been many threads about it.  Some members even have the barrel which retails for about $1000 bucks.  You must have not seen it then.

BTW my quote of 8ozs is for Bushmaster barrels only, as there is no standard Hbar profile.  My Colt is only "heavy" for about 3" past the chamber.  Bushie barrels are heavy to the FSB.  I found it interesting that the M4A1 profile looked very similar to my Colt Hbar profile.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Black this, black that, rant rant rant.

Sorry to learn you're so d@mn bigoted.

Please don't say that Jesse Jackson horsesh-t even in joking around.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#21]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
This stuff sucks:

Black stocks

HBar

FF tubes covered with rails

Rail covers

M4 profile (ass backwards) barrels

A2 rear sights

A2 Gov't profile barrels

A2 length buttstocks

A2 pistol grips

And, WORST OF ALL: 14.5" barrels (if they have permanently attached flash hiders/brakes)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the fuck? You don't like Hbar, you don't like M4 profile barrels, you don't like A2 profil barrels, wtf do you like?

The Govt aA2 nd M4 style barrels are ass-backwards.

Just look at the barrel on any other military rifle: Fat at the chamber end and skinny at the front.

The reasons for thie weird profiles on the M-4 and Govt A2 are well known.

Turn the M-4 and Govt A2 barrels around and you have a fine design.

But seriously, there have been only a couple of REALLY badly put together ARs which have had pics posted on ARFCOM. Out of courtesy and pity I did not put them down though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The military has this thing called an M203 grenade launcher they like to use.

So thats kind of POINTLESS to whine that the barrel is designed backwards...it was designed for YOU.

Explain more.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:20:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Left the "n't" off was.

The A2 and M4 barrels are contour under the handguards to allow mounting the M203, which was originally made for the M16A1 profile barrel.  The are heavy at the front to prevent bending from abuse.

Its a perfectly logical design based on the inventories of the time and practical use in the field.

What kind of abuse are you speaking of?  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:27:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
GI's bending the M16A1 barrel forward of the front sight post.

How?  I mean, I have an A1 profile barrel, and it would take alot to bend it...it just seems like bullshit to me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I don't know but I think he might be referring to the false rumor about the M16 pencil barrel being inferior, as in bending downward after sustained fire.  Otherwise I can't imagine how an ordinary person can "bend" the barrel forward of the front sight block. I would imagine the aluminum upper receiver would break first before any bending occurs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:43:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know but I think he might be referring to the false rumor about the M16 pencil barrel being inferior, as in bending downward after sustained fire.  Otherwise I can't imagine how an ordinary person can "bend" the barrel forward of the front sight block.

That would not make any sense.  If the issue was the skinny A1 barrel bending, the added forward weight of the A2  profile would cause it to bend more.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:44:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know but I think he might be referring to the false rumor about the M16 pencil barrel being inferior, as in bending downward after sustained fire.  Otherwise I can't imagine how an ordinary person can "bend" the barrel forward of the front sight block.

That would not make any sense.  If the issue was the skinny A1 barrel bending, the added forward weight of the A2  profile would cause it to bend more.

That's why it's a false rumor as I have stated
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roger that!!  

Just more perpetuating dogma...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How?  I mean, I have an A1 profile barrel, and it would take alot to bend it...it just seems like bullshit to me.

I'm not sure, but I'd throw out "pry bar" if I were to take a guess.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:17:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure, but I'd throw out "pry bar" if I were to take a guess.

OK, so then it just bends behind the FSB?  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:16:41 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No "false rumor."

GIs do some stupid shit with rifles.

Need a pry-bar?  "Gimme my rifle."

Jack handle?  Rifle.

Step to lift a 250+ pound troop up to a window?  Rifle...

Barrels get bent.  Receivers get damaged too, sometimes.  The 'A2 barrel was a bad compromise that attempted to reduce this problem; it would've been a better idea to redesign the M203 mounting system.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:46:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Dissy is a great concept.  Full lenth handguards and a longer sight radius....what's not to like!  Add a telestock and a red dot optic and you've got yourself a winner.  What I think is stupid on a dissy is when I see "preban" versions with a threaded barrel and a bayonet lug less than 2 inches from the muzzle.

That was my whole point. It has it's uses, on and irons only rifle, but on a flat top, it's just dead weight.

Options Options Options!

It's certainly not dead weight if you cowitness a red dot scope.  I think a flattop Dissipator is a perfect marriage for an EoTech.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#36]

it would've been a better idea to redesign the M203 mounting system.

+1 for common sense.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:04:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Just a question but I noticed that a lot of people seemed to list the 16in barrel as not ideal? Just seems odd to me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Accessories that weigh more then the rifle.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/408238/ar15ras.jpg
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Options Options Options!

It's certainly not dead weight if you cowitness a red dot scope.  I think a flattop Dissipator is a perfect marriage for an EoTech.

I had a BM Sissy with a TA01nsn in front of an ARMS #40, and it worked out pretty well for ME. To me, the Dissy is the only useful configuration for a 16-inch barrel, but that's just me.

The only things I hate to see on an AR are:
Bipod on a carbine
SS barrels
24" barrels
3-point slings
A2 stocks

But, if somebody likes whatever they put on their rifle, it doesn't bother me a bit; if they're happy with it, I am, too.  What irks the shit out of me is when people put down somebody else's choice of gear.

Btw, Hokie...that sig line of yours says it all, lol.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm an oddball.  I like the purity of the early-style rifles.

My perfect AR:

M16 or M16A1

My unperfect AR:

Anything that came after 1969

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top